Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/23/2004 12:10:34 PM EST
I want to get one of these (or a sten kit) to play with.
what kind of condition are these "cut" kits in? are they junk or
can i make a no firing replica that looks ok?

can you build them into functioning guns?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:00:42 AM EST
is it true you can't convert these into pistols because of some ATF ruling that any open bolt weapon is a machine gun?
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:11:49 AM EST
No open bolt and the barrel must be at least 16" with an OAL of 26" with the stock folded. Additionally, just rewelding a demilled kit can get you in serious truble, even if you make it semi-only. Unless the receiver has some alterations to make it not readily restorable to a MG and different from an unaltered STEn or Sterling receiver tube, the mere rewelded tube could be considered a MG.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:13:11 PM EST
TAPCO used to sell semi-auto parts (16" BBl, t-type or wire loop stock) and SA receivers to local FFL that you could use with select parts from the WWII STEN kits. There was also a source for SA STENS.

Haven't seen 'em in a few years.

Of course, I haven't been looking too hard.
Link Posted: 9/24/2004 6:18:03 PM EST
Most of the Sten kits that I've seen were in great shape. They had cosmoline on them but not huge amounts. The reciever was cut in a way that none of the parts were destroyed and probably could be made into a functioning weapon if the law would allow it and you could figure out how. I bought some for the barrels long ago with the intention to make some small blackpowder cannons. Never got around to it and traded them for a muzzle loader.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 12:57:45 PM EST
i plan to use a new 80% tube.
drill the holes and make the gun from the parts.
Link Posted: 9/28/2004 5:02:42 PM EST

Originally Posted By hk940:

You're not going to try to make a select fire weapon are you? That's not supposed to be done, just incase you didn't know.
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 3:33:03 AM EST

Originally Posted By Pangea:

Originally Posted By hk940:

You're not going to try to make a select fire weapon are you? That's not supposed to be done, just incase you didn't know.

nope!
semi only
Top Top