Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2005 5:47:50 PM EDT
oh man am i ever a kid in a candy store.  all the tacticool equipment and weapons i used to only dream about.  i told my new boss they could pay me in merchandise .  I hope i dont fuck up a 4473...

anybody else work at a FFL?
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:50:30 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
oh man am i ever a kid in a candy store.  all the tacticool equipment and weapons i used to only dream about.  i told my new boss they could pay me in merchandise .  I hope i dont fuck up a 4473...

You now have a HOBBY, a job doesn't cost you more money than you make.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:52:15 PM EDT
[#2]
Congrats! Don't let it turn you into a jaded a-hole like so many others.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:53:29 PM EDT
[#3]
My buddy's son works for him part time at his gun store.  He puts what he would have made towards his bill.   He has to work as an EMT to pay his bills and at the gun shop 5-10 hours a week to work off his bill.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 5:59:32 PM EDT
[#4]
What shop are located at?

It is important that people drop by to see that your "Gun shop salesperson" attitude is to par...

We expect the following:
- Complete knowledge of every firearm ever made. It is extremely important that you only know the name of the gun and nothing more.
- All magazines are called "CLIPS"...remeber this.
- .50cal ammo and guns are ILLEGAL..
- Anything with a scope is a tactical SNIPER RIFLE
- Glocks are the best guns EVER PRODUCED
- All revolvers should be "snapped open and closed" then handed to the customer.
- Wear plenty of Hk T-shirts...they should all be black by the way.
- Smell.......Body Odor, cigarettes....just have some sort of odor about you.
- Be the complete source of EVERYTHING...and make fun of people who question you.

If you can master all of this....then you just might fit into a gunstore. If you act any other way it makes customers suspicious and we have no choice but to leave right away.

Seriously...good luck with the job and set yourself a limit of no more than 40% of your weekly pay can be pissed away at the store. Also, NEVER PAY RETAIL...ever!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:01:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Just be nice, and if you dont know, dont bs.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:04:20 PM EDT
[#6]
Just dont' be a jagoff.

to many work at gun shops.

break the mold.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:05:32 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Sure, it was a cool job but pay was not enough for what I did and needed.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

I've been doing a PT gig at my friends funshop for almost ten years now.  I get paid in store credit $80/day usually one day/week.  It's a great way to spend a Saturday and save money for new toys.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#9]
ETA:

Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:09:49 PM EDT
[#10]
I worked at one. You'll spend too much $ at work and discover you don't make near enough to buy all the cool stuff you can get at a discount. You'll meet some really cool, like-minded people (and some posers & major asshats too). Enjoy!
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:13:56 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
What shop are located at?

It is important that people drop by to see that your "Gun shop salesperson" attitude is to par...

We expect the following:
- Complete knowledge of every firearm ever made. It is extremely important that you only know the name of the gun and nothing more.
- All magazines are called "CLIPS"...remeber this.
- .50cal ammo and guns are ILLEGAL..
- Anything with a scope is a tactical SNIPER RIFLE
- Glocks are the best guns EVER PRODUCED
- All revolvers should be "snapped open and closed" then handed to the customer.
- Wear plenty of Hk T-shirts...they should all be black by the way.
- Smell.......Body Odor, cigarettes....just have some sort of odor about you.
- Be the complete source of EVERYTHING...and make fun of people who question you.

If you can master all of this....then you just might fit into a gunstore. If you act any other way it makes customers suspicious and we have no choice but to leave right away.

Seriously...good luck with the job and set yourself a limit of no more than 40% of your weekly pay can be pissed away at the store. Also, NEVER PAY RETAIL...ever!

My biggest problem is when customer comes in and shows interest in the Hi-Point Handguns that my friend insists on carrying.  They have a nice profit margin.

The customer will ask, "Is this a reliable gun?" and I'm like, "Ummmm,  Well yeah for the money I guess they are reliable."

I just can't do it.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:23:24 PM EDT
[#12]
I have been thinking about mentioning to the guy who owns the local gunshop that if he ever needs anyone to work saturdays and sundays for store credit that he should let me know.  I am sure that he would probably decline though.  Man that would be awesome.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#13]
FWIW
I used to like to fish, then I ran a marina for a few years.  Now guess what?  After hearing nothing but fishing talk for 8 to 12 hours every day the last thing I want to do is fish.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 6:54:29 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

My biggest problem is when customer comes in and shows interest in the Hi-Point Handguns that my friend insists on carrying.  They have a nice profit margin.

The customer will ask, "Is this a reliable gun?" and I'm like, "Ummmm,  Well yeah for the money I guess they are reliable."

I just can't do it.

We had a huge range at the one I worked at. There some guns we wouldnt carry. I had a guy come in and eanted to start a gun collection. He had about $500 to start with and asked about Lorcin, Jennings , RAven and stuff. He wanted as many guns as he could get for his $$.

When I got done with him he walked out with an East Geman Makarov, CZ52, M44, Enfield No4  a P17 and some ammo.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just can't do it.

We had a huge range at the one I worked at. There some guns we wouldnt carry. I had a guy come in and eanted to start a gun collection. He had about $500 to start with and asked about Lorcin, Jennings , RAven and stuff. He wanted as many guns as he could get for his $$.

When I got done with him he walked out with an East Geman Makarov, CZ52, M44, Enfield No4  a P17 and some ammo.

It's great when you can steer someone in the right direction.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:14:07 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just can't do it.

It's great when you can steer someone in the right direction.

Its a good feeling. The guy ended up with the sickness and was buying a gun every month. We then converted him into an EBR junkie.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:10:27 PM EDT
[#17]
I worked at a gun shop for two years part time. I worked there my senior year of high school, and one summer during college.

The gun shop I worked at did not have the best selection, plus our prices were too high. But it was a lot of fun to BS with other people who enjoy guns.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:20:02 PM EDT
[#18]
I currently work at a gunstore...

You'll have some stories after you are done...

Just make sure you know where all of the stashed guns are and how to use them if necessary...

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:22:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I currently work at a gunstore...

You'll have some stories after you are done...

Just make sure you know where all of the stashed guns are and how to use them if necessary...

They dont let you carry at your shop?

I had an M1A1 Savage under the register in case of Zombie attack.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:51:23 PM EDT
[#20]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:01:13 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
As soon as one gangsta thug boy looks at and picks out a gun, then the gansgsta hoe bitch says she wants to buy it. Do not sell this firearm.

ATF if really cracking down on straw purchases, be carefull who you sell to, if you at all feel it's for another person than the one filling out the forms, just make them walk away.

No shit sherlock.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:49:53 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah there's some real assclowns that come in sometimes.  (text deleted)

BTW i'm in gainesville FL and i know i saw a few guys on the hometown forum from this area.  Drop in sometime if you want, you'll know the place IN gainesville.  I'll be the goofy looking kid that's new and has no clue what he's doing

edit: dont wanna piss anyone customers off
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:56:15 AM EDT
[#23]
Excellent.
Now, forget everything you know about guns and firearms law and you'll be good to go.
Don't forget the camo's.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 6:59:55 AM EDT
[#24]

I'll stop in and see you sometime.  Remember, the password for 'everything at store cost' is IBTL.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 7:14:39 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I just can't do it.

You are a saint
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:52:35 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I'll stop in and see you sometime.  Remember, the password for 'everything at store cost' is IBTL.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 9:55:43 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Get back to work ya bum.

I told you to clean storage area B an hour ago.

Link Posted: 8/17/2005 10:14:23 AM EDT
[#28]
I do. I love it, almost all the time. I play with endless amounts of cool toys, Class 3, cans, SBS and SBRs, and get paid to do it. Good luck, and just have another employee double check ur 4473. One last thing, carry a gun for gods sake.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:02:51 AM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
One last thing, carry a gun for gods sake.

under 21.  i know you dont need a CWP to carry at work if the owner allows it and it doesnt break any other laws or whatever, but i dont know how that works if you're not even old enough to buy the handgun.  i "own" (posess) a hangun legally now, but i dont know how it works to be able to carry at work.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 11:05:51 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:
One last thing, carry a gun for gods sake.

under 21.  i know you dont need a CWP to carry at work if the owner allows it and it doesnt break any other laws or whatever, but i dont know how that works if you're not even old enough to buy the handgun.  i "own" (posess) a hangun legally now, but i dont know how it works to be able to carry at work.

Its just like carrying at home. Its up to your boss. Its his castle.

Dont quote me on that though.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:13:57 PM EDT
[#31]
lol, "but wildboar said i could!"
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:16:37 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
lol, "but wildboar said i could!"

Well, do whatever ur boss says. Im off to the shop right now. Have fun.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 12:58:49 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
Just dont' be a jagoff.

to many work at gun shops.

break the mold.

Sorry to say, but more of the jagoffs are on the paying side of the counter......

"I can get this for $5 less at so-and-so"... "THe price in SNG says it's $599... whay are you charging $650?"
"YOu mean I have to PAY you to use your FFL for a transfer? THat is a rip off!!!"..
And so on and so forth.....
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 4:42:11 PM EDT
[#34]
some customers totally suck.  i worked retail all through HS and i've seen about everything there is.  but i've also spent enough time on arfcom to know how not to be a queer salesman.  hopefully i wont be the typical gun shop idiot.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:00:31 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:
Congrats! Don't let it turn you into a jaded a-hole like so many others.

Yeah.  Congrats.  Good luck in not hating it.  Retail work is a real bitch nomatter what you're selling.  I hope you love it.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:18:33 PM EDT
[#36]
A few years ago i worked part time at The Sports Authority. I worked in the Hunt, fish and camp section. I never left that place with a paycheck, merchandise yes, but no paycheck.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 5:25:20 PM EDT
[#37]
Where abouts is Gainsville?

Fly down to start School in a couple of days...  Florida Tech in Melbourne... That's just south of Coco beach and Cape Canaveral

Doesn't SteyrAUG have a shop somewhere in FL too.  I wonder where that is.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:15:44 PM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:
Where abouts is Gainsville?

North Central Fla.  its about 2 hours north of tampa, and... i dunno 1.5-2 hours from GA?  Right on I-75 exit 384 if you look at a map.  Good ole redneck college town

Anyway, you're a few hours from gainesville.  i dont think i'd want to make that drive...
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:33:13 PM EDT
[#39]
I got a job managing a shop in Chandler, AZ last year. It was my dream job, but the owner was a real ass. He drove customers away. I rebuilt his business while I was there. I had to give it up and come back to Ohio to care for my Grandfather. I loved the job and actually liked coming to work because the owner would bail out right after I got there. I never got a discount for anything but I had my own resell license and could order anything but guns - which I couldn't afford at his pay.

I would love to work in one again and will try to. I was also going through the hiring/training process for a state university police officer position, another cool job. Gave up both to keep Gramps alive.

I can't find a gun shop to work in around here.

Yes, I screwed up a couple of 4473's - not bad enough to have to re-do them. Just forgot to sign them or something easy like that. Gave back a consignment without doing a 4473, but he was a regular and did it the next day. Thing is, he bought another firearm that day as well so I did the first form, forgot the 2nd. Oops.

It was a cool job and I was good at it. Bonus: I got to pack my gun for my jobs!!!!! I was armed 24/7. How cool is that?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top