Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 12/26/2002 5:23:09 PM EDT
I graduated last December with my BS in Materials Science and Engineering. Haven't found an engineering job yet, just paying the bills with technician jobs up to now. The other day I found a job while looking online. The job involved growing crystals for numerous applications, like semiconductor and laser. This is one of the few things that really grabbed my interest in school. I looked to see where the job is located, Salem Mass. It is my understanding that the ownership of black rifles and other non-pc arms is prohibited in this state. Unless they are pre ban. This job would be a huge deal for me and my wife. It would be my first real engineering position and it would involve something that I am interested in. But in order to get the job I would have to dissolve my firearms collection, something that I just cannot bring myself to do. What a mess, the only job I can find is one I cannot take. I'm going to bang my head against the wall for awhile now.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:41:18 PM EDT
Have you looked at automotive jobs in Michigan? Have you called any head hunters?
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:51:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2002 5:52:46 PM EDT by xbigfootx]
Michigan has some good jobs going if you can get in with the big three. My sister graduated in April, and in May was working at the Chrysler Tech center as a computer engineer. She isn't employed by chryler but she gets all the union holidays off paid. The big three have lots of potential. Just my two cents. edited to add: she has a computer engineering degree if that makes a difference.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:52:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/26/2002 6:04:11 PM EDT by AeroE]
Check [url]www.jobs@boeing.com[/url]; we are hurting for engineering help in St. Louis. Yesterday when I checked, there were 694 jobs of all types at all locations, but I can tell you, there are many jobs on the internal posting list that don't show up on the external postings that you can see, and many of those unfilled jobs will migrate fairly quickly. The Development Center in Seattle is also doing some interesting work, but I don't know the outlook for new hires; I do know the engineering staff is okay for now. If can have a good background in Mechanics of Materials, Structural Analysis, and related courses, the demand for strength engineers is higher than ever - hurting is not the right word. This is probably the only engineering field that has never had a layoff (unless you are a contract engineer), and the future looks as good as ever. Nothing gets built without our sign-off on its structural integrity. Unfortunately, with the new job application process at Boeing, I don't know if I can do you any good by hand carrying your resume to department heads - we could do this at one time, but HR has pretty well hosed that up. If you would like me to try, I will take your resume to my department head. I can also do some checking for openings in the Materials and Processes department; without seeing your resume, I can't judge your fit, but this department includes metallurgist, chemists and chemical engineers, physicists, and others. The advent of low observable aircraft will continue to be heavily dependent on development of new materials suitable for dual usage. Many of the current suite of LO materials are very poor airframe materials - this deficientcy must be corrected on high performance ariframes. The cost must also be reduced. The commercial aircraft industry will continue to be weak until 2004 or 2005; the emphasis in this industry will be to build lighter and lower cost airframes to squeeze a few more dollars out of their direct operating costs.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 5:59:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:05:47 PM EDT
Originally Posted By xbigfootx: Michigan has some good jobs going if you can get in with the big three.
View Quote
Any of the large tier one suppliers are just as good if not better. Lear, Visteon, Magna, Delphi, JCI, etc. Contract houses are good also. They pay well and the benefits are as good or better.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:12:29 PM EDT
Mass is screwed up, for sure, but they don't prohibit AR's...except Boston itself. Best thing to do...live in New Hampshire and work in Salem. Probably about 30 minute drive. NH is one of the more free states. You can get a concealed carry permit in NH, then apply for a Mass Out of State license if you are going to carry within the State. NH also has no income tax or sales tax if I remember correctly!
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 6:40:52 PM EDT
The NRA web based gun law list thing seemed to say that assault weapons were a no-no. Maybe I read it incorrectly. If black rifles are ok what isn't besides hi-caps? Intriguing idea about NH, maybe the job isn't a dead issue. I have to go out of town for a couple of days so I will be off-line. I will take a look around at automotive applications and see what is up when I get back. Thanks for all of the input guys.
Link Posted: 12/26/2002 11:54:14 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/27/2002 12:04:46 AM EDT by gunsanplanes]
don't despare. pull out a map and take a gander at how close salem mass is to n.h. a short 25-35 minute commute and you're over the border in a SHALL ISSUE STATE. bring all the guns ya got,we'd love to have you. only sad thing is that mass taxes workers from out of state to within .3% of what the regular residents pay for state taxes.once you get over that screwing, it's not a bad deal. edited to add: 20 minutes from a major city 1 minute from an ocean 1.5 hours from the white mountain national forest you get all 4 seasons all 4 major sports are played.....so what if they are all non winners at the moment....still a chance for the patriots. 1.5 hour drive to one of the 3 bases for military airshows
Top Top