Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2004 4:54:26 AM EDT
I never thought much of her antics, but she was kind of gutsy in her own right. But one thought did occur to me:

Q:What do gun owners and Jennifer Ringley have in common?

A: They both got screwed by PayPal.

Sigh! Pic removed please see Code of conduct #1
www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=1&f=5&t=197004&w=searchPop

sigh...is this pic OK?

R.I.P. Jennicam

LET THE CREDITS roll, Jennicam is dead.
After seven years of non-stop broadcast, the webcams that relayed every intimate detail of Jennifer Ringley's life have been switched off.

Happier times
For her fans, there will be no more viewings of Ms Ringley slumped in front of the TV, doting on her countless pets, idly plaiting her hair, pottering around her house or sauntering naked between rooms.

For a brief spell in the late 90s, Jennicam was the most talked about site on the embryonic internet.

Started in 1996 by 20-year-old Jennifer Ringley, then a student in Pennsylvania, US, Jennicam was billed as an "experiment". Ms Ringley rigged up a camera to the computer in her college dorm and broadcast, live and unedited, her life over the web.

The site attracted massive interest, at one point drawing 100 million hits a week, according to its creator. Was it art, a charter for stalkers, a setback for feminism - or all three?

While cultural commentators thrashed out the point of observing, for entertainment, ordinary people doing ordinary things (sound familiar?), Jenni was invited on to the David Letterman Show and featured in a modern art exhibit.

"I keep Jennicam alive not because I want or need to be watched, but because I simply don't mind being watched," Ms Ringley wrote.

Undoubtedly, the challenge for many of her admirers was to catch Jenni in a state of undress, or even having sex. Yet the bulk of Jennicam's output was more mundane - especially since Jenni herself now has a full-time job out of the home.

The demise of Jennicam has been blamed on the online payment service Paypal, which used to process payments by subscribers. The company admits it severed its ties because of the nudity broadcast on Jennicam.

No flowers.

Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:49:33 AM EDT
[#1]
That's too bad- though I haven't visited the site in over a year, I used to pop in once in a while, and you could catch some pretty graphic stuff going on occassionally, but mostly just entertaining.  She had no shame in posting semi-graphic stuff in archives either.

She did seem horribly emotional however.  The one time I clicked to read some diary entries she was describing having an episode in a pharmacy where she was kneeling in an aisle crying like crazy.   I can't stand women that nutty.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:22:43 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
That's too bad- though I haven't visited the site in over a year, I used to pop in once in a while, and you could catch some pretty graphic stuff going on occassionally, but mostly just entertaining.  She had no shame in posting semi-graphic stuff in archives either.
View Quote

Actually the stuff for members (I wasn't one) was apparently even more graphic. A lot is available through a Google search. All I can say is: no wonder she moved to the SF area, where "alternative" lifestyles seem to be the norm. It is about the only place I can think of (other than Greenwich Village or Provincetown, MA) where having such a past (esp. one that will keep coming back to haunt her forever) wouldn't affect her employment chances. IIRC, she got canned from some good job with the National Geographic Society in Washington, DC, years ago, for her antics on the Web. Who needs the prurient publicity from an employee?

She did seem horribly emotional however.  The one time I clicked to read some diary entries she was describing having an episode in a pharmacy where she was kneeling in an aisle crying like crazy.   I can't stand women that nutty.
View Quote

I have known a lot of women like that in my time, but she sure seems to have it in spades. But then again, only an overly emotional drama queen and attention-ho like that would put herself up online for the whole world to see, anyway. Comes with the territory. And for many years, she had quite a ride, in more ways than one. I think her downfall started when she moved to Kalif, with the help of, among others, a woman named Courtney, and then promptly repaid Courtney by stealing her live-in fiance. Yep, add "soap opera queen" to her emotional resume, too....[rolleyes]

[red]But still, it's like driving by a pile-up on the freeway. No matter how you try to avoid it, you end up turning and gawking at it...or used to, anyway.[/red]

I somehow doubt the world has heard the last of this gal. She graduated HS a year early, went to Dickinson College, graduated in three years, and I doubt she'll feel fulfilled with an overweight loser boyfriend and being stuck in a small town working for a social services agency. She really turned the world around and made it look at itself, as well as at her.
Everybody knows who Jennicam is, and everybody knew about and talked about her, all over the world.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:33:45 AM EDT
[#3]
I had an opportunity to meet Jenni once in person.  It was in the spring of 1997 when I went to pick up a friend of mine from Dickenson College.  My friends parents had flown me out to PA so I could help their daughter pack and drive back to the OMA.

Jenni was a good fried of this girl. They lived on the same dorm floor.  I must admit having met her in person I never felt any real desire to see her naked, in live or on the internet.  She was nice enough, seemed like she had a decent brain bu she had NO DECENCY.

Jenni was essentially the first prostitue of the the simulacra.  Even in the infancy of the website she used had men who purchased her new computers, cameras and other goodies.  If you ask me it was less of an experiment, and more about using her website to generate money during the lean college years.  Unfortunately, her additction the the lifestyle that came from the cheap, easy and shameless use of her body at 60 lpi resolution hasa cost her throughout her life.

But that is just my opinion. I could be wrong.
SBG
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:40:14 AM EDT
[#4]
This thread is useless without links to her deviant behavior in action... since you can't post them, IM them to me! [naughty]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#5]
I'm sure she's the genesis of all those reality programs you see on the TV today.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 9:07:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm sure she's the genesis of all those reality programs you see on the TV today.
View Quote

That would explain a lot. Of course, the "reality" programs, just like webcams, are not reality, but rather, somebody's edited viewpoint of reality. Somebody has to point and turn on the cams. The trick is not to be obvious about it, and to entice the viewer into thinking he's seeing something that is real and unscripted. And how could the players or subjects (depending on one's point of view) not be aware of it, either consciously or otherwise?

In Jenni's case, I'm sure she knew the camera was on, and was mindful of it. Otherwise, why did she show her paying customers her nakedness, let alone having sex with whoever she was involved with?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:04:48 PM EDT
[#7]
FOX News's take on her....

Turning Off The Jennicam
[url]http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,107105,00.html[/url]
Wednesday, December 31, 2003
By Claudia Cowan
SAN FRANCISCO — Before there was reality television, there was a young college student with big dreams, Internet savvy and a video camera.

The combination became a pivotal moment in digital culture. But on Wednesday night, after seven years in cyberspace, Jennicam is logging off.
In 1996, Jennifer Ringley focused her camera lens on herself in her Harrisburg, Pa., dorm room as part of a class project. She never turned it off.

Ringley then moved the cameras to her Washington, D.C., apartment after college, letting legions of fans get a kick out of watching her day-to-day life — doing everything from cooking and studying to sleeping and having sex.

The economics major became the first ever "micro-celebrity," and as her Web site's traffic grew, she began charging visitors in order to pay for bandwidth.

These days, Ringley, who works at a nonprofit agency in San Francisco, ignores interview requests. There are reports that her nude, adult material ran afoul of her Internet payment-processing company's policies. But observers still tout Jennicam's influence on pop culture.

"She became a topic of discussion — you knew about Jennicam, our parents knew about Jennicam, the person you work with might know about Jennicam," said Rachel Leibrock of the Sacramento Bee. "And that's a really strong influence to have on American culture.
"Our culture became attuned to wanting to see people in this so-called real and unscripted way... before we tuned into "Big Brother" and "Survivor"... she really made us more comfortable watching people like that on the screen."

Added Lee Mandel, CEO of Internet dating service MatchedUp.com: "I was very skeptical about going online and finding a date online. Then I saw her Web site and I saw people are willing to display themselves publicly online. Why not use the Internet to find a date? And then I said, 'Let's start [url=http://www.MatchedUp.com]MatchedUp.com.[/url]'"
For many, Jennicam was a fresh alternative to packaged entertainment seen on television — a life unscripted and unpredictable. But before long, as the world now knows, Americans wanted to see people in this unfiltered way even more. Within a few years, reality TV shows would win huge ratings.
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 4:18:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 6:16:21 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
oooooo, jenny, jenny...who can i turn to?
View Quote

I got it... I got it...

8 6 7 5 3 OH Nighhhne
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 8:47:21 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
oooooo, jenny, jenny...who can i turn to?
View Quote

I got it... I got it...

8 6 7 5 3 OH Nighhhne
View Quote

If I had a dime for every time I played that in a band, my house would be paid off by now.....[banghead]
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 10:53:07 PM EDT
[#11]
wow, a google search makes one wonder....

are her parents still alive?
Link Posted: 1/1/2004 11:05:20 PM EDT
[#12]
She is fat, ugly, nasty, disgusting and a complete whack job.

Good riddance to bad (white) trash.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 8:30:15 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. Last I heard they had split up, but were still friendly, but that was back in 1999(?).

There used to be a web TV segment in her site called JenniShow, and she had her parents on once. Now if it were my daughter doing something like this, I probably would disown her, but her parents were game. (Like father, like daughter.) The mother seemed funny and personable enough, the dad, a gruff sort of guy.

She related some story about how a guy had come over to their house in high school to pick her up for a date, for their one and only date, as it turns out. It seems the dad had confronted him at the door with a compound bow loaded with a big broad-head arrow, pointed right into his face. Her date, frozen on the spot, just about unloaded his bowels while her dad interrogated him about his intentions with his daughter...[shock]. The dad then went on to say, that now he had mellowed out, and that when the boys came to the house, he didn't use the bow anymore. He now used his "9 millimeter"....[rolleyes]
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:30:40 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

Yes. Last I heard they had split up, but were still friendly, but that was back in 1999(?).

There used to be a web TV segment in her site called JenniShow, and she had her parents on once. Now if it were my daughter doing something like this, I probably would disown her, but her parents were game. (Like father, like daughter.) The mother seemed funny and personable enough, the dad, a gruff sort of guy.

She related some story about how a guy had come over to their house in high school to pick her up for a date, for their one and only date, as it turns out. It seems the dad had confronted him at the door with a compound bow loaded with a big broad-head arrow, pointed right into his face. Her date, frozen on the spot, just about unloaded his bowels while her dad interrogated him about his intentions with his daughter...[shock]. The dad then went on to say, that now he had mellowed out, and that when the boys came to the house, he didn't use the bow anymore. He now used his "9 millimeter"....[rolleyes]
View Quote

From what I saw in that google search, she was having sex on that cam, masturbating, giving & receiving oral.... Not things I'd want my parents to watch me do personally.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 9:44:10 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

View Quote

(snip)Now if it were my daughter doing something like this, I probably would disown her, but her parents were game. (snip)
View Quote

From what I saw in that google search, she was having sex on that cam, masturbating, giving & receiving oral.... Not things I'd want my parents to watch me do personally.
View Quote

KA3B's assessment of her is correct in a moral sense. She is a piece of trash.

In an amoral sense, however, she is a classical capitalist, like Commodore Vanderbilt, who said, "I seen my opportunities, an' I took 'em." She had a commodity -herself- and she sold it, until it wasn't profitable enough any more to put up with the hassle of doing it. She was damned good at it, for a while. Unfortunately, she didn't care whom she left for wreckage along the way. (Unlike Commodore Vanderbilt, she's not setting up any charities or foundations with her money, it seems...)

That her family seemed to be game to go along with it, or at least to put up with it, speaks volumes.....

Call it the "Dysfunctional Family Channel".
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top