Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/1/2001 1:57:43 AM EDT
just read about a few jamOmatic para ordinance guns, a friend had this problem and i believe he converted it to a series 70 configuration and it solved his problems.
toss out the series 80 safety doo-hickey, and replace it with the shim doo-hickey, and mebbe it will fix things.
worth a try before parting with a good expensive gun
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:07:03 AM EDT
[#1]
These things are a bit peculiar.  They are solid, basically, but the few that I have seen personally have always required a bit of tweaking before they'd work.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:45:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Jamomatic?  I must be the lucky one..  I love my p14. It will shoot anything but the crappy remington UMC crap, but none of my 45's like that stuff. It out of the box needed MORE MAGS!
maybe a trigger job but I never bothered. If I lived in a free state I'd carry that P14 everywhere (I'm a big guy I can get away with it). No failures to date that were not related to cheap ass underpowered ammo. Over 1000 rounds through the tube. I think the only pistol I have that is more reliable is my S&W 910.
And it is accurate too.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 6:59:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I guess I've never heard of this either. Three years and counting and my P14 keeps right on shucking any .45 fodder that I feed it. Same goes for the 4 or 5 other Paras that I've seen people shooting, including a guy who was taking his CCW class with me.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:04:32 AM EDT
[#4]
My P14 has been through a couple thousand rounds with only one malfunction, and that was during the very first mag. A very reliable gun.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:06:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Got to chime in.  My P14-45 is always working.  I've never had a hiccup in about a year and a half, with about 800 rounds through it.  I'm going to add a CCU carbine unit to the PO arsenal, soon too!

[8D]
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 7:18:35 AM EDT
[#6]
I have 4 Paras and 14 mags
The only work was on the triggers and added Nite sights.I have owned 1 mag that didn't work
I carry a Ltwt P13 in SOB holster in this weather and a Wilson P14 in Cool weather with a jacket and shoulder rig.These 2 guns have never bobbled in over 8500 rds

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:02:26 AM EDT
[#7]
Yeah they do put out the occasional lemon, but who doesn't? I have a P16 (.40) that I bought when I got into IPSC and it is a fantastic gun, very reliable. A friend of mine has a older P14 and all it really needed to get ready for gaming (ipsc) was feed ramp polish and trigger job. You'll see alot of para's in ipsc, if they weren't reliable they wouldn't have the following that they do.

Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:41:52 AM EDT
[#8]
My P13 had several malfs that pissed me off to no end. I tried diferent ammo, clean & lube really good. I narrowed it down to the magazines. After I changed the factory suckass magazine springs to wolffs, I haven't had a problem. FBI got away from Paras because of magazine feed problems.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 8:48:24 AM EDT
[#9]
I have owned 5 para's, none of which would feed a round when I bought them.  Didnt bother me any though, the olny reason I bought them was to tear them apart and build race guns out of them.  I have heard of more people having para's not work that ones that do, until they get worked on at least.  Once they get a little work they are great guns.  There is also the "sqeeky wheel" and I may have just been hearing from the people who didnt work cuz they're more likely to spread the word.

I have never heard of a Para having problems due to the firing pin safety "series 80" parts though.  Thats kind of weird LAgunman2K.  Most people who take it out do so because it is harder to do a trigger job with it in there, not because of function.  It really doesnt have the abaility to effect the funtion, with the exception of blocking the firing pin if it is not engaged fully.
Link Posted: 6/1/2001 2:31:16 PM EDT
[#10]
Bought the first 7-45 LDA I saw back in Dec. Only about 500 rds. so far, but TOTALLY satisfied. No malfunctions.
Link Posted: 6/2/2001 2:33:42 AM EDT
[#11]
Para's are only a wide bodied 1911. Any 1911 needs a break in period to smooth operation up. Only people I heard talking down a 1911 variant are the plastic fantastic fanatics. Hell, I like'em all. Each to his own I guess( I own a P-14, so I may be a little biased, Try to be as objective as I can though.).
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top