Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/25/2006 6:07:53 AM EDT
After watching a driver succomb to injuries sustained in a automobile crash yesterday on the way home from work this happens:
   This morning (4am) while I was driving down the street from my house in south Ft. Worth I saw a meteor falling that appeared to be only 1/4 to a 1/2 mile away directly over the neighborhood adjacent to ours. I kow that sometimes objects in the sky appear to be close but arre actually very far away, but the speed at which this one was falling tells that it was very close. It came from the west falling to the east arcing to nearly straight down before it disappeared.  I thought that was kinda cool cause you usually see them pretty much horizontal and way up in the sky over the horizon.  Welll anyways twenty minutes later I'm driving north on 360 just past Arkansaw Ln when another meteor falls from the same direction but this time it was not 50 yards in front of me! It went directly across my path and disintegrated over the freeway service road to my right front. This thing was huge trailing an iridescent tail about fifty ft long made up of turquois and pinkish colors just before it exploded into a shower of orange sparks.  I've never witnessed anything like this before and seeing this one so close to me had me really freaked out.  Has anyone ever experienced something like this? [Other then in a drug induced halucinatory state]  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:09:14 AM EDT
[#1]
Did you recover any of the remains?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

nope, I was in too big a hurry to get to work. My bad....
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#3]
No pics?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:11:31 AM EDT
[#4]
Amazing.

I've seen something severely weird in the Mojave desert that's best described as a UFO, but not seeing a meteor explode overhead nearby.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:18:18 AM EDT
[#5]
I have seen SEVERAL meteors explode...some VERY close.  I live in the middle of a desert and I work at night and am often outside all night long so I see meteors all the time.  Nothing abnormal in what you saw.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 6:26:38 AM EDT
[#6]
BTW, if it went west to east, there's a 90% probability it was actually a man-made object reentering the atmosphere (lots of junk up there to deorbit).  However, most of that stuff doesn't make landfall, it burns up before it hits the ground.    If it does make the ground, that is usually a meteorite, because they're dense enough to survive  the heat of reentry.  
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:26:29 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

nope, I was in too big a hurry to get to work. My bad....

Too bad.  According to Robert A. Haag, he's brokered meteorites for enough to buy a really nice car or pay off the finder's house.  Maybe you should go back to the impact zone and see if you find any.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 10:34:50 AM EDT
[#8]
I saw one about a year ago, by chance I opened my front door to get a breath of fresh air and scout for Al Queda activity and BAM! to my left up in the sky, saw a meteor had an orange flame to it.  Way cool!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top