Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/19/2009 3:42:37 AM EDT
I just ordered from a reputable on line off road parts supplier in OH and I was charged sales tax.

I thought inter state sales were tax exempt?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:47:48 AM EDT
[#1]
They probably have a sales office in your state. If so  they would be required to charge it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:52:33 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I just ordered from a reputable on line off road parts supplier in OH and I was charged sales tax.

I thought inter state sales were tax exempt?

They have never been (in the past 30 years at least)

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 3:56:07 AM EDT
[#3]
Technically, you are required to claim/pay sales tax for Internet purchases for which it was not charged. It is done on your state return.

Some states, NY for example, have gone after larger online retailers (Amazon, etc.) to have them collect the tax. This is currently being reviewed for constitutionality.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:08:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I would not buy from an internet retailer that charged me sales tax, unless they are in my state.
No, there is no Federal tax required. Yet.

I would expect one with Obunghole and his crew though.  That and a tax on everything else too.
They'll probably tax me for the CO2 I emit too.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:12:31 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I would not buy from an internet retailer that charged me sales tax, unless they are in my state.

I would expect one with Obunghole and his crew though.  That and a tax on everything else too.

well it was charged AFTER I clicked submit, so it was a little sneaky. it appeared on my completed sales receipt.

not too big of a deal, it was only 1.65 but still.........
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:30:16 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

well it was charged AFTER I clicked submit, so it was a little sneaky. it appeared on my completed sales receipt.

not too big of a deal, it was only 1.65 but still.........

You can always call your credit card company and dispute the charge, or even get  complete refund.
I have done that before for fraudulent or hidden charges like that. That why I always use AMEX. Say what you want about them, but they take care of the stupid shit, no questions asked.

It's not the amount, it's the principle of the thing.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:36:41 AM EDT
[#7]
The "internet tax" refers to the taxation of internet service. There is no FCC fee or other taxes applied to internet service, yet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:37:33 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got a custom scope right from Leupold in Oregon. They charged full retail plus shipping and tax. There is no Leupold store in FL that I am aware of. Like scope don't like tax and shipping, not with paying full retail from factory.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 4:56:48 AM EDT
[#9]
Technically we are required to pay sales tax on internet or mail order purchases here in FL. But they have
no way to enforce it as of yet. I have noticed though that a few vendors are collecting it that I do not believe have offices
here in FL. I believe that is how they will enforce it, on the vendors side that is.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:17:25 PM EDT
[#10]
Still not sure why but at my work when we fill out a PO request no matter where it is comming (US or abroad) from we have to add the local and state sales tax to every order, In the past when I questioned this, just get a quick reply of "It's not Sales Tax it's a Use Tax"  
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:21:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Still not sure why but at my work when we fill out a PO request no matter where it is comming (US or abroad) from we have to add the local and state sales tax to every order, In the past when I questioned this, just get a quick reply of "It's not Sales Tax it's a Use Tax"  

Because legally that is what is supposed to be done. You are supposed to pay sales tax on the items that you buy. If it's not collected by the seller then you're supposed to pay it on your own. As more and more purchasing is done over the net I expect state and local governments to start cracking down on this.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:39:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Because legally that is what is supposed to be done. You are supposed to pay sales tax on the items that you buy. If it's not collected by the seller then you're supposed to pay it on your own. As more and more purchasing is done over the net I expect state and local governments to start cracking down on this.

So if I'm an online retailer in Idaho and I tell the state of NY to go fuck themselves with a 15" dildo what the fuck are they going to do....come and get me?
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:45:43 PM EDT
[#13]
I would say I am very surprise that there has not been a push to collect sales tax online.  With a lot of states having large budget shortfalls this seems like an easy place to generate revenue.  They could just push it through saying they should have been collecting it all along and that everyone has been evading sales tax by buying on the internet.
Link Posted: 9/19/2009 12:56:11 PM EDT
[#14]
A NY internet sales tax was passed last year.

Not sure if it was enacted.

ETA: Never mind. I see you're in NV, not NY.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:00:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

So if I'm an online retailer in Idaho and I tell the state of NY to go fuck themselves with a 15" dildo what the fuck are they going to do....come and get me?

If you're an online retailer in Idaho then it has nothing to do with you when you sell something to someone in NY, it falls on the purchaser.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 1:32:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I just got a custom scope right from Leupold in Oregon. They charged full retail plus shipping and tax. There is no Leupold store in FL that I am aware of. Like scope don't like tax and shipping, not with paying full retail from factory.

What is this full retail you speak of?  I thought that was the point in shopping online.

Link Posted: 9/19/2009 2:45:17 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I just got a custom scope right from Leopold in Oregon. They charged full retail plus shipping and tax. There is no Leupold store in FL that I am aware of. Like scope don't like tax and shipping, not with paying full retail from factory.

What is this full retail you speak of?  I thought that was the point in shopping online.

I had to have those M1 bling bling knobs. $150 upgrade and I had the parallax adjusted to 100 yards $15.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top