Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/21/2005 11:36:18 AM EDT
im trying to figure out a project. What im doing is, is that I have a wine cellar that must stay at 65 degrees F.  There is an airconditioner and a heater in the room. They are both set to 65 degrees. What my dillema is, is that if one of the heaters or AC units break then the overall temps of the room fluctuate too much and then the wine is ruined. The wine is worth several thousand dollars, so im willing to spend a little more on this project as a type of insurance.

So, what I was thinking is. Get a thermometer that can text message an alert if the room gets too hot.

Anybody know of a way to do this
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:38:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Turn that wine into piss and quit worrying so much.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:41:31 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I wish!  I sell the stuff, so I cant exactly drink it all.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:43:38 AM EDT
[#3]
Well There is a way to do it by hooking a therm. up to a PC... but you'd need an uninterupted net connection, and a script running on one of those text message websites (or even AOL Instant Messenger), and a lengthy program. I don't know enough to write them myself, but I don't see anything that would be a major problem other than time, money, and knowledge.

I think I remember hearing about someone that used a home security system company to monitor the humidity in his comic book collection and he had hourly updates sent to a pager.

His collection was valued at over $200,000.

I think looking into a security system component would be a good option to try first.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:44:45 AM EDT
[#4]
Sure, there are data acquisition modules out there for temperatures with email features.  Just search with google.

If they support emailing it will work for your idea.  You can have it email updates to your cell phone sms virtual email address.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:50:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Use one of these http://www.practsol.com/thum.htm.

If you want to go psycho, get a PDA phone with a wifi connection and connect a usb temperature monitor to the phone.  Put a wifi adapter in the phone and hook the usb monitor up to it.  If the power fails, the battery in the phone will keep it working, and it will be able to send the sms message directly through the cell network if your home network goes down.  It'd have two power sources and two network sources as failsafes to get the wine temperature message through.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 11:54:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Yes
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:07:03 PM EDT
[#7]
sure, but if it drops below 55 MPH it's gonna blow up.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 12:15:50 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

But get it to 88 MPH and it'll age faster!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:00:59 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Use one of these http://www.practsol.com/thum.htm.

If you want to go psycho, get a PDA phone with a wifi connection and connect a usb temperature monitor to the phone.  Put a wifi adapter in the phone and hook the usb monitor up to it.  If the power fails, the battery in the phone will keep it working, and it will be able to send the sms message directly through the cell network if your home network goes down.  It'd have two power sources and two network sources as failsafes to get the wine temperature message through.

that thum is PERFECT!!! thank you!!!
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:18:45 PM EDT
[#10]
We use one of these at work.  We use it to monitor temp and sound (beeping equipment or alarms).  We're not worried about humidity or other situations, but it probably can handle that too.

I think it's in the $300-400 range.  It will automatically call 4 numbers for a chosen number of times.

www.sensaphone.com/cabins-homes.html
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:22:47 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

+1

Mogen David is rated for 8 to 80°F
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:29:25 PM EDT
[#12]
temperature-tracking / notification equipment is available in the I.T. / Networking world. Including pager alerts.
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 1:42:11 PM EDT
[#13]
Here's a sample of a higher-end product -
www.temperatureguard.com/vm508.htm

ETA - here, hit this google search for a ton of choices -
www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=server+room+temperature+alarm
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:34:23 PM EDT
[#14]
maybe that X-10 stuff?
guy at work had it and he could log into a site from work and see all sorts of info about his house
Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:57:38 PM EDT
[#15]

maybe that X-10 stuff?

It's over kill for what he wants, but that would work.  www.smarthome.com has some nice X-10 items, and links to manuals for the products.

In my boss's house over the years, I've connected over 200 X-10 devices or devices wired to relays (some even with dimmers) connected to a computer (via a relay board connected to a parallel port that I used to sell commercially in the mid 80's).  He can look at the temperature in every room, turn vents on/off, turn almost every light in the house on/off, check for motion in every room, his central vacuum turns-off when the doorbell or phone rings, light in his foyer turns on automatically when you ring the doorbell to make the visitor think there's someone home, automatically dim lights when he starts the DVD player, one master button beside his bed that turns all of the lights off at night and closes the garage door for convenience, another button to turn all of the lights on for security, control his MP3 jukebox, control most of his ceiling fans, and most of the devices in his house that have IR receivers via lirc.org's software.  It's all controlled through web pages so he can use any computer connected to the Internet, a couple touchscreens he has in house, or even his Treo phone.  Some of the items, like turning lights and motion detectors on and off are done automatically by the computer depending on the time of day.

Sigh, and I still can't find a tech-related job.z

Link Posted: 8/21/2005 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

But get it to 88 MPH and it'll age faster!

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top