Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/16/2007 1:33:33 PM EDT

I think it's the M1919 ?

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:46:01 PM EDT
[#1]
While there were indeed some .50s jeep mounted in WW2, I too think they modeled the tv show with the .30cal guns. The reinforcing plate the .50 required plus the gun itself added some heft weight to the jeep, weight otherwise allocated to gas. In the recon gig of the show, it would only make sense to save the weight & go with the extra gas, IMO.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:52:06 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
While there were indeed some .50s jeep mounted in WW2, I too think they modeled the tv show with the .30cal guns. The reinforcing plate the .50 required plus the gun itself added some heft weight to the jeep, weight otherwise allocated to gas. In the recon gig of the show, it would only make sense to save the weight & go with the extra gas, IMO.

Very few.

The recoil caused the jeep to wobble, and that killed any accuracy.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:56:22 PM EDT
[#3]
It was a land rover that the SAS used, not the american jeep.

There may have been jeeps used, but they definately used the LAND ROVER

as for the show there were ALOT of inaccuracies, but it was just TV afterall.

BTW I loved that show
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 2:59:05 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

There may have been jeeps used but they definately used the LAND ROVER

Thanx, Rat Patrol was a TV show about fictional US Army recon types....................

Next, the Desert Rats used vehicles that allowed their weapons to be used from the front passenger seat, and sometimes other positions. Not generally a gun on a stick like the US did.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:05:35 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

BTW I loved that show

The Land Rover wasn't invented until 1947.   the first one was built on a Jeep chassis.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:11:01 PM EDT
[#6]
That pic looks like a 1919 that has an extra 6 inches on the barrel shroud that might be some sort of blank firing device.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:19:35 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW I loved that show

The Land Rover wasn't invented until 1947.   the first one was built on a Jeep chassis.

*As a production car, there was an armored car that they used that was built on a rolls chassis, also there were other vehicles used, some trucks etc.

"At the beginning of the war the 11th Hussars were equipped with the Rolls Royce and Morris Armoured Cars, but the war progressed the Marmon-Harrington and Humber Scout Car and Armoured Car became available, along with the Daimler Scout Car and Armoured Car."

The 7th Armoured Division is not what I said, reading is fundamental
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 3:24:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:09:02 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
That pic looks like a 1919 that has an extra 6 inches on the barrel shroud that might be some sort of blank firing device.

It does look longer than usual.

So maybe it's an aircraft version of the M2 rather than the M2HB?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 4:48:55 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

BTW I loved that show

*As a production car, there was an armored car that they used that was built on a rolls chassis, also there were other vehicles used, some trucks etc.

"At the beginning of the war the 11th Hussars were equipped with the Rolls Royce and Morris Armoured Cars, but the war progressed the Marmon-Harrington and Humber Scout Car and Armoured Car became available, along with the Daimler Scout Car and Armoured Car."

The 7th Armoured Division is not what I said, reading is fundamental

**WTF ** Are you talking about ? Are you trying to pick a fight about something ? In a Rat Patrol thread ?

Sorry, but Land Rovers weren't invented until 2 years after the war. Tell me what I failed to comprehend.

Sheesh. Some people.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:07:42 PM EDT
[#11]
If I remember correctly, the Rat patrol jeeps carried .50's, but they were full shrouded, lightweight barrel aircraft machineguns. The picture above does look sorta like a .30, but the actual jeeps carried the big guns. I watched a lot of RAT Patrol episodes when the were first run. Did anybody else here have the Aurora Rat Patrol playset, with the two jeeps, a couple of German tanks, and assorted sand dunes?
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:11:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I was speaking about the SAS use of the gun truck, not during WWII.

Was not trying to pick a fight...sheesh
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:13:02 PM EDT
[#13]
I think the RAT Patrol .50cal was an AN-50, higher cyclic rate and longer bbl

SEALs had one mounted aft on a PBR in Vietnam, it was scavenged off a downed B-26K attack aircraft.

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:23:50 PM EDT
[#14]
Actually the RAT Patrol was ahead of its time. I mean they had to be using DU rounds in those .50's, the way they could torch up a German tank with .50 cal fire only.
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 6:39:15 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 8/16/2007 9:46:54 PM EDT
[#16]

I just watched THE RAT PATROL on DVD and noticed the rear of the machine gun had two handles like the one in this photo [spade grips] and also had a large ammo box, it must be a .50 caliber MG?

this 1919 has a pistol style grip [not the double grips as shown on The Rat Patrol]

Link Posted: 8/16/2007 10:14:49 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
www.jdfmil.org/equipment/weapons/images/cg50b.jpg

I just watched THE RAT PATROL on DVD and noticed the rear of the machine gun had two handles like the one in this photo [spade grips] and also had a large ammo box, it must be a .50 caliber MG?

The Browning ANM2 .30 caliber had spade grips.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top