Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:38:24 PM EDT
I have some old 7.62x54R that is a bit corroded and i feel not safe to shoot..... is it OK to just throw it out, or is it considered hazardous waste and therefore required special disposal?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:39:45 PM EDT
[#1]
I say just shoot it. Is it worse than some of that Guat?

Oh, and to answer your question, I have no idea if it'd be illegal to throw it away.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:39:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:41:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you are morally opposed to "polluting the environment," just toss it. Who is going to know?

That ammo can't be any worse than 90% of the caustic shit that I see people throwing away.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:41:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Got a pic? I'll pay shipping
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:42:15 PM EDT
[#5]
How much? Is it Albanian, straight out of the can corroded and ugly? Ship it to me and I will dispose of it properly!
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:44:36 PM EDT
[#6]
Buy a $75 Mosin and shoot it all.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:44:38 PM EDT
[#7]
not worth selling, its only a few dozen rounds of the decades-old eastern european surplus that goes for <.08 cents a round.  And I won't have time to shoot it, i'm moving in 2 days, which is the reason I want to get rid of it.

Just wondering if it might be illegal to throw in the trash, or at all dangerous to the garbagemen who might be around the compactor.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:45:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I'll pay shipping. It would probably go off in the compactor.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:49:07 PM EDT
[#9]

Mail it to England. The whole island will shit green monkeys.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:52:27 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

They'd raise their threat level to "Oh Holy Shit! Live ammunition is invading the country!"
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:54:34 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They'd raise their threat level to "Oh Holy Shit! Live ammunition is invading the country!"

ROFLMFAO  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:00:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Just go bury it somewhere. I've disposed of many thousands of blanks this way.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:00:18 PM EDT
[#13]
A few dozen rounds , just unseat the bullet dump out the charge.

If your worried about it. Me I would just toss them in a lake .
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:03:11 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

what's the easiest way to do this?  pliers?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yes, it won't take much effort at all
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:06:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Quoted:

what's the easiest way to do this?  pliers?[/quote

Teeth
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:07:38 PM EDT
[#17]
Don't pull straight out , side to side at first
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:10:31 PM EDT
[#18]
pliers will do it; be sure they have good grip on the bullet, needle-nose would be a poor choice for example.

with the powder gone the remainder is much less hazardous; I don't see a huge safety hazard to garbage guys being posed by primers
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:11:10 PM EDT
[#19]
thanks
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:11:40 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yes.   burn the powder, you can even set off the primer by pouring the powder out in a line, leaving a trail into the case, and lighting it.

Make nice little rockets  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:15:50 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Funniest thing I've read all night.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 10:22:43 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
It would probably go off in the compactor.

Really, REALLY unlikely.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 6:16:12 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:
I have some old 7.62x54R that is a bit corroded and i feel not safe to shoot..... is it OK to just throw it out, or is it considered hazardous waste and therefore required special disposal?
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:29:57 AM EDT
[#24]
You can use the powder to fertilize the lawn too
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:41:56 AM EDT
[#25]
Just for safety, wear goggles or something when you are pulling the bullets. And it would probably be best if you didn’t hold the round in your bare hands either. Use another set of pliers or a vise or something. You want to put a little distance between your skin and the case of the cartridge.

The odds of something happening are very low, but better safe than sorry.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:43:50 AM EDT
[#26]
If you don't want to shoot it, pull the bullets and dump the powder in your flower garden.

Soak the empty cases in water to disable the primers, then trash or recycle.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:46:46 AM EDT
[#27]
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:02:58 AM EDT
[#28]
Throw them in the fire on a campout.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:04:18 AM EDT
[#29]
First you start a small fire, then you......... and post pics
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:17:57 AM EDT
[#30]
If it's a big amount of ammo I'm sure you could just hand it in to the nearest fire station or police station and they would deal with it for you. Might want to call them and ask first.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:51:37 AM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:
pliers will do it; be sure they have good grip on the bullet, needle-nose would be a poor choice for example.

with the powder gone the remainder is much less hazardous; I don't see a huge safety hazard to garbage guys being posed by primers

I've never pulled bullets like this, but the military ammo has a tar-like substance as a neck-sealer to prevent moisture contamination.  What I did was to put the round in a locading press, and with any type of die, push the bullet down just a bit(the amount of travel doesn't matter) to break the seal.  After that you can probably easily pull the bullet easily.  I think you don't break the neck seal, you have to use a lot strenght to seperate the bullet from the case.

BTW: Primers won't explode if there is no bullet on top, they will just burn very ferocious for a moment.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:01:15 AM EDT
[#32]
shoot it! I had some 7.62x39 that was in a flooded house and completely rusted and threw it in an SKS and worked fine
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:15:51 AM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:

Yeah! Hey! Great!  We all need more of that crap in our water.  Thanks for the genius advice.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:36:28 AM EDT
[#34]
I had this same problem a couple years ago:
by turns of various events, I ended up with several hundred rounds of 223,,,  and no 223-cal gun to shoot them. No mil surp, all reloads (none I reloaded; some commercial, some from the local shop/range). And all of it over ten years old now.

-The entire quantity is too heavy to throw away at once. Plus it sounds odd and if the trash company found it there could be trouble from that end, because we're not supposed to throw away anything that contains flammable materials (combustible or liquid fuels, ect).

-I called the shop and asked what to do with them, they said they didn't have any means of accepting ammo for disposal. They advised that I ,,,, [-see below-].

I called the local police and they also said they couldn't advise what to do with it, and that they had no means of free or for-fee disposal either.

The gun shop advised that I soak them in a container of motor oil for a couple days, and then just throw them away in the regular trash. But this wasn't really any good solution because--as I sasid--solid and liquid combustibles are illegal to throw in the trash where I live. So if I did this, not only would I have the bullets themselves to get rid of, but I'd also have a leftover quantity of "unusable in a vehicle" oil as well.

---------

My solution was fast-food joints. You know..... after you pay at the first window and get your food at the second, then you pull forward a bit more and there's a trash-can on the drivers side you can toss trash in?.... yep. When I'd do this, I'd use the food bag from the previous visit. That way even if they thought I threw something wierd in there, they wouldn't be able to prove it--the trashcan's full of their food bags. They'd have no way of knowing which one I threw in.

I did that about three or four times, and then slacked off. I've still gotta do it at least five or six more times to get rid of it all.
~

Link Posted: 1/1/2007 3:26:03 AM EDT
[#35]
Floppy said:

by turns of various events, I ended up with several hundred rounds of 223,,, and no 223-cal gun to shoot them. No mil surp, all reloads (none I reloaded; some commercial, some from the local shop/range). And all of it over ten years old now.   snip

Sorry, Floppy, but that's definately the stupidest thing I've heard in '07 so far.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:04:54 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK now that is funny.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#37]
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:26:19 AM EDT
[#38]
Vice grips are good por fulling., an keep it away form your face.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 4:27:25 AM EDT
[#39]
Drop it in a doorway in London. They'll get a big kick out of that!

ETA

Make a call to the PD, see if they will accept it for disposal. They git rid of many thousands of rounds per yeawr of confiscated ammo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:01:14 AM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK now that is funny.  

How's that funny...?

We have plenty of ammo here already.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
Taffy
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:50:07 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

OK now that is funny.  

How's that funny...?

We have plenty of ammo here already.

Am I missing something?

Cheers
Taffy

No offense, but you have to see things from our perspective.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 6:52:44 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Yeah! Hey! Great!  We all need more of that crap in our water.  Thanks for the genius advice.

These aren't lead bullets there sparky , and going around your lake one time with your out board causes more damage than these would
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 7:59:46 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:

I did that about three or four times, and then slacked off. I've still gotta do it at least five or six more times to get rid of it all.  

Noooooo !!!

Box it up and I'll send you a prepaid box or label  to ship it to me.

You can always put ammo up in the EE as "not safe to shoot" for  pulling down components ONLY. Damn that's a waste to a reloader.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:21:06 PM EDT
[#44]
no and no
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:26:56 PM EDT
[#45]
Just pull the bullets...throw powder in the garden or burn it off...then shoot the primers in the cases...chuck cases if steal..recycle if brass.

If not, look up someone on the hometown forums and just give them away. Someone will be hppy to tke them off your hands.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:28:08 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Floppy said:

by turns of various events, I ended up with several hundred rounds of 223,,, and no 223-cal gun to shoot them. No mil surp, all reloads (none I reloaded; some commercial, some from the local shop/range). And all of it over ten years old now.   snip

Sorry, Floppy, but that's definately the stupidest thing I've heard in '07 so far.

+1

Why not just give the shit away to someone who can use it?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:29:40 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:
Drop it in a doorway in London. They'll get a big kick out of that!

ETA

Make a call to the PD, see if they will accept it for disposal. They git rid of many thousands of rounds per yeawr of confiscated ammo.

Confiscated ammo goes to local gunshops here :O
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:30:20 PM EDT
[#48]
  Take it to the next gun show, with a sign taped to you that says
"Free ammo" someone will take it and try it or pull the rounds.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:37:21 PM EDT
[#49]
Green Monkeys. LMAO. I didnt think the Brits shit. Especially the Queen bitch.

The ranges I frequent have a barrel for unwanted ammo.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:37:34 PM EDT
[#50]
I had a small-scale issue of disposing of live ammo a few years ago (pre 9-11).

I caught a flight from Portland to San Francisco, and while sitting cramped up in that tiny seat felt something hard in my pocket ... it was a 9mm round.

A few days earler the local TV channels "Breaking News" was of a "Live bullet found in a jetway at the airport " -- Apparently it was of the type used by police, and so highly dangerous, and investigations were underway to find out how it got there

So I wasn't about to drop it in the pocket seat in front of me ...

At the hotel in SF I thought about it ... the dropped it into the soda can I just finished, screwed up the can and dropped it in the trash.

Never saw any news items about SF trash collectors being killed by exploding soda cans
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top