Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 9/9/2004 4:30:10 PM EDT
I heard a  professor say that it normal once in a while.  I personally think somethings wrong if you are thinking about it often. But sometimes I do, I just know I would never do it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:30:46 PM EDT
[#1]
NO.

Quoted:
I heard a  professor say that it normal once in a while.  I personally think somethings wrong if you are thinking about it often. But sometimes I do, I just know I would never do it.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:30:57 PM EDT
[#2]
Well I guess you havent had enough stress yet
See it makes most of us just that much tougher.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:31:58 PM EDT
[#3]
 I don't and never would.  I cherish every breath and connot comprehend what could drive somebody in that direction.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:32:19 PM EDT
[#4]
I think that almost everyone thinks about it at least once in their lives...but, fortunately, 99.99% of us don't act on it...
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:32:24 PM EDT
[#5]
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may be used against me as a gun owner.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:32:57 PM EDT
[#6]
if you are a devout Christian, as I am, you know where suicide will lead you.

edited for mispelling.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:33:20 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
I refuse to answer on the grounds that it may be used against me as a gun owner.

Lmao, you already answered it.
But yeah if you go through anything very tragic and it doesnt cross your mind, well that is odd.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:34:05 PM EDT
[#8]
Yes, I think about it all the time.....

Hillary Clinton's suicide..

Diane Feinstien's suicide...

John Kerry's suicide...

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:34:11 PM EDT
[#9]
No it isn't normal.

Don't take this as an insult, but if you are thinking about Suicide at all, then you should probably talk to a counselor. If you do, don't tell him that you have guns!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:34:49 PM EDT
[#10]
Absolutly! Every morning I wake up and watch the news in the hopes that John Kerry, Feinstein, Schumer, etc, etc, etc. did themselves in while I was sleeping.

Edit to add: Damn, Max_Power beat me by 45 seconds. Great minds think alike.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:36:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
No it isn't normal.

Don't take this as an insult, but if you are thinking about Suicide at all, then you should probably talk to a counselor. If you do, don't tell him that you have guns!

So it has never crossed your mind? Never ever never.
I doubt that.

And suicide isnt always because of depression. There are many reasons people kill them selfs
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:37:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:38:14 PM EDT
[#13]
Thinking about it is WAY different that considering it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:40:40 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

edited for mispelling.

Oh yeah, straight to hell, no chance to repent. And god doesn't want to you to take control of life/death.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:42:09 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

+1

but if you're thinking about it, chances are something in your life is fucked and needs to be fixed, not ignored or dwelled upon, fixed
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:42:16 PM EDT
[#16]
Well kinda.

My father-in-law had emergecy heart bypass surgery, stroke, and now he broke his back.

Before I break my back I'm goin out.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:42:29 PM EDT
[#17]
It's VERY normal to think about suicide...ie: we're all thinking about it right now in this thread.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:44:26 PM EDT
[#18]
Honestly...yea, I've thought about making a quick exit.  But, I can't imagine ever doing it.  Just a little escapism, I guess.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:45:52 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

+1

the line is drawn when someone starts planning it.  thinking about how, where, notes, stuff like that.  the occasional passing thought isn't anything to get concerned over.  but yeah, if anyone's thinkin' about it, get help- there's not one ounce of shame in it.

-Grant
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:48:48 PM EDT
[#20]
Theres nothing wrong with thinking about suicide, its like fantasizing about doing something illegal.  Just cause I think about it doesn't mean I'm gonna do it.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:49:28 PM EDT
[#21]
If you are going to kill yourself don't blow your brains out with a shotgun. It is far too messy. I recommend seppuku with a kaishaku to make sure everything goes smoothly. This is far more palatable for family members to stumble upon.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:49:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
No it isn't normal.

So it has never crossed your mind? Never ever never.
I doubt that.

And suicide isnt always because of depression. There are many reasons people kill them selfs

You're putting words in my mouth.

I didn't say that I've never though of suicide, I said that it is not normal to think about suicide. If you are thinking about suicide, then it is an indicator that there is something wrong. I don't mean it as an insult, but I think that you need to discuss it with someone if you are thinking about suicide.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:52:02 PM EDT
[#23]
Thoughts of death cross all our minds from time to time. I'm sure everyone has at least thought about what it must be like to off yourself. But thinking about it in that context is one thing. It's only if you are CONSIDERING it when it really becomes a problem.

Frequent thoughts of death (suicide included) is a strong indicator the person having those thoughts are clinically depressed. That's especially true if such feelings last for two weeks or longer.

But if you think about suicide more than you think about having sex, you have a serious problem and do need to seek help. If not, it's probably just a passing thing brought on by some event you saw on the news or in a movie or read about....or something. But if it's just thinking about it, that's far less troubling than contemplating it.

-CH
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:53:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Only if your John Kerry
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 4:53:47 PM EDT
[#25]
TRIVIA!

Ask your friends what the only crime is that, if commited, is not punishable - If it is attempted, is punishable.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:01:50 PM EDT
[#26]
I was out shooting Wed night with a retired patrol deputy. He told me his first suicide run was a guy who's wife threw him out of the house. He went to his friend's house to bunk out for the night, the friend had an 8mm Mauser in the closet in the back bedroom, guy put it under his chin.

Problem was that the back bedroom had an angled ceiling from the wall to the real ceiling, so it was like a spray of blood, brain, and bone evenly over the whole room.

He said they got the body and were leaving and the owner wanted to know who was going to clean it up. "You are."

Should have had a smarter friend.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 5:50:03 PM EDT
[#27]
I believe that it is indeed normal for the thought to cross your mind as a confused/conflicted/hormoned up teen.  I surely did, but it hasn't crossed my mind since I got my drivers license(pushing 20 years ago).

When the immature mind is trapped, or in a no win, it is one of the options.  HOWEVER, it's quickly shaken off as a really stupid (and permanent) solution by almost all who think about it even with said immature mind.  I suspect that many of you dudes are lying.  I would agree with the professor in that it crosses most young peoples minds, but it is never seriously considered.  If you've ever muttered the phrase 'I wish I was dead', you are guilty of considering it....
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:41:15 PM EDT
[#28]
BTDT.  It may not be very serious but you really should talk to someone about this.  Asking the question here shows that you are concerned and at least recognize that it may be a problem.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:47:28 PM EDT
[#29]
I watched my dad die of cancer and my father-in-law die from ALS.  I'll eat a self-inflicted bullet before I'll ever put myself or my family through a long death watch like those were.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:50:47 PM EDT
[#30]
I've thought about it, and considered it. Heh.

However, because I'm so anal about some things...I can't.

It'd leave my messy-as-hell apartment to be cleaned out. No human should see that before I clean it.

It'd leave a mess no person should clean, where my body is (I'd figure my bowels and bladder would let go, not to mention the blood, and initial discovery...)

My family and friends (all 3 of 'em) would wonder why, what happened... (I'm a very private person)

Quite frankly, as I've thought about it, it's probably the most selfish act I could think of. Yah, I can be selfish when it comes to some things, but an act like that is basically declaring "I'm horribly selfish, and I want you to notice it".

Think about it. Not much in this world is worth my life, and nothing geared towards ME should be worth that sacrifice. Just IMO.

Yes, I'm a damaged being, but I know it. *shrug*
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:51:48 PM EDT
[#31]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 6:55:35 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

John Kerry's suicide...

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:03:13 PM EDT
[#33]
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:24:17 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
I've thought about the mindset when people do it....ever since my friend who had everything in life anyone could want. Why is it that some people who have a great job, nice car and a big house do it and a guy who is homeless, probably gets in fights all the time, lives in a box and doesn't know when his next meal is coming doesn't commit suicide?

Most likely it wasn't from depression about things, could have been distress over relationships. I know that when I have felt down in the past, it wasn't because of lack of material goods, it was lack in other areas of life.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:24:55 PM EDT
[#35]
Suicide is gay
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:26:21 PM EDT
[#36]
Yes I do.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:26:37 PM EDT
[#37]
I agree with the every so often...it just comes down to it being a permanant solution to a temporary problem.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:37:53 PM EDT
[#38]
The AF stance on suicide is that it probably crosses everyone's minds at some point.  Most people dismiss the idea.  But when someone actually comes up with a 'suicide plan', there's a serious issue that needs to be resolved.

My .02c
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:40:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Suicide is gay

What method are you thinking of?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:50:37 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:

I am a Christian as well and I think that there are circustances where suicide would not damn you to hell.  If by your death you could save one/many other people ie. you always hear of Vietnam-era snipers talk about eating their .45 before they let themselves get capsured lest they give up info that will get their fellow soldiers killed.  Even Jesus died for us when he could have come down from the cross and stricken everyone dead.  

Quoted:Oh yeah, straight to hell, no chance to repent. And god doesn't want to you to take control of life/death.

God gave us free will.  For good or bad, controlling our own destiny is exactly what he intended.

Link Posted: 9/9/2004 7:51:17 PM EDT
[#41]
No
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:01:07 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

John Kerry's suicide...

DOUBLE the party if Dianne eats a bullet at 11:59 9/12

TRIPLE the party if she eats it from a TEC-9

- BG

Yep... that's pretty dern cold-hearted.   I'm off for some more Grey Goose.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:05:49 PM EDT
[#43]
Supposedly, most people contemplate suicide at least once in their lives.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:09:34 PM EDT
[#44]
Suicide is a bad way to go....... go down in a hail of gunfire if your going to go
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:25:57 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
I've thought about the mindset when people do it....ever since my friend who had everything in life anyone could want. Why is it that some people who have a great job, nice car and a big house do it and a guy who is homeless, probably gets in fights all the time, lives in a box and doesn't know when his next meal is coming doesn't commit suicide?

Deep seated mental issues.  Money doesn't always equal happiness (unless you have a couple billion maybe)  
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:28:34 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Suicide is a bad way to go....... go down in a hail of gunfire if your going to go

Now that's what I'm talkin' about. Go out in style
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:32:27 PM EDT
[#47]
Yes, it's normal to think about suicide.  The thought crosses most people's minds at some point in their lives.  But thinking about it seriously is a different story.

Feel free to IM me if you care to elaborate on this at all, or even if it was just a random thought in your head.  Sorry you had to post this in GD since no matter what there always seems to be a few jackass answers.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:34:06 PM EDT
[#48]
I had a good friend commit suicide about 10 years ago.  I was VERY pissed at him for doing it.  Suicide is a very selfish act.  All you do is hurt the people who love you.  Sometimes that is the intention, in his case it wasn't.
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:39:01 PM EDT
[#49]
I think its probably more normal when you are younger and in turmoil.  I know I thought of it more when 16-20..... but NEVER anymore.  I am doing everything I can to stay alive.... why on earth would I want to kill myself?
Link Posted: 9/9/2004 8:39:59 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:

Quoted:

edited for mispelling.

Oh yeah, straight to hell, no chance to repent. And god doesn't want to you to take control of life/death.

What a crock of shit.  
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top