Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/21/2006 6:22:12 PM EDT
from wikipedia:

The trajectory of the bullets is very steep. This was not a problem in the Old West as most shooters were then keen judges of distance and trajectory. Most modern shooters are not so skilled. In the Old West, it was said that a man about 400m away, if he saw the puff of white smoke from the rifle, had time to get out of the way of the bullet--not out of the question, as its time of flight would be 1.1 seconds (405 grain bullet at 1500 feet per second, ballistic coefficient of .21).

i wonder if theres anyone who has successfully done this and literally DODGED A BULLET
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:27:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Im not willing to try. I guess if you didnt see the smoke you are unlucky.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:29:07 PM EDT
[#2]
How do you know you're not dodging into the bullet if the guy shooting at you is a lousy shot?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:29:32 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
from wikipedia:

The trajectory of the bullets is very steep. This was not a problem in the Old West as most shooters were then keen judges of distance and trajectory. Most modern shooters are not so skilled. In the Old West, it was said that a man about 400m away, if he saw the puff of white smoke from the rifle, had time to get out of the way of the bullet--not out of the question, as its time of flight would be 1.1 seconds (405 grain bullet at 1500 feet per second, ballistic coefficient of .21).

i wonder if theres anyone who has successfully done this and literally DODGED A BULLET

What if you dodge yourself into the path of a near miss?
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:34:03 PM EDT
[#4]
We need O_P to test this with you as the target.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:35:18 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

how about i hide behind a berm with the target on top of a stick, and use a periscope to watch the shooter and move the target when i see the smoke
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:35:57 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:36:00 PM EDT
[#7]
Average reaction time is about a second and a half... (.75 to see action, .75 to begin reaction)

I'm gonna say "yea right" for this one.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:37:43 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
Average reaction time is about a second and a half... (.75 to see action, .75 to begin reaction)

I'm gonna say "yea right" for this one.

thats a really slow reaction time.  go find a reaction speed test somewhere online where you have to click on a button when a light changes color, i guarantee that it will take much less than .75 sec for you to see that the color has changed and less than .75 seconds to begin your reaction of clicking the button.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:38:22 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

how about i hide behind a berm with the target on top of a stick, and use a periscope to watch the shooter and move the target when i see the smoke

We'll compromise and let you do it like this.

Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#10]
You have to factor in the margin of error for the shooter using iron sights.  I would certainly be possible for someone alert and ready to dodge the bullet as he saw the smoke.  More than likely the shooter missed and the target moved as well, thus returning to his friends telling them of his "dodging a bullet".  Just my take on the issue.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:39:11 PM EDT
[#11]
Sounds like I need to try to recall my Wikipedia login and edit more BS from a gun article.

Probably written by a reenactor believing every tall tale from the old fat guy at the "rendezvous."

My beef isn't so much with the dodging (yo can "dodge" a M16 at 600 meters - if you know where the round is going) as the "beck in the day people could judge distance better, romantic hyperbolic BULLSHIT.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:41:26 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the "beck in the day people could judge distance better, romantic hyperbolic BULLSHIT.

seems reasonable to me.  back then, people didn't hunt for fun, people hunted to get enough food to SURVIVE.  i dare say that back then the average shooter probably took marksmanship a little more seriously than many of the elmer fudds of today.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:43:02 PM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:43:47 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 6:48:22 PM EDT
[#15]
Normal recation times for seeing and reacting are around 16ms
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top