Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/20/2016 6:37:58 AM EST
I hate to say it, but I agree with something the Obummer admin has done.

"By ensuring states set their orders based on actual circumstances in the family, we believe the rule will result in more reliable child support payments, and children will benefit," Assistant Secretary for Children and Families Mark Greenberg said in a statement.

Under the new regulations, states would not be allowed to treat incarceration as "voluntary unemployment," a policy that effectively blocked prisoners from modifying existing child support orders. States would also be required to notify both parents of the right to seek changes to child support payments if one of the parents is incarcerated for more than six months.
View Quote

http://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-criminaljustice-childsupport-idUSKBN1482IK

if the idea of child support is to benefit the child as it would be if the paying parent lived in the home, why would an inmate pay child support? If I go to jail, I'm not bringing money into the house to benefit the child..

just more proof it's a money making game for the state
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 6:56:46 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:00:18 AM EST
A Lawyer I knew back in Colorado who worked for the .gov was telling me a funny story...

Inmates sue the government, officers, the Warden, .gov employees, anybody all the time. Constantly. They don't stop.

One inmate finally won.

The inmate had been instigating an altercation with a prison worker, and the correctional worker struck the inmate in the face.

According to the lawyer, the inmate had been inching closer to the officer, but had not formally hit the officer. The officer thought the inmate deserved it. Hit the thug. Prison officer thought it was justified. Courts saw it otherwise.

The lawyer said the thug set the whole thing up from start to finish to try to create a lawsuit, and the inmate was known for toeing the line, forcing a prison worker to go over the line.

Officer was --tragically-- reprimanded. The .gov paid the inmate a lump sum of money.

Here is the hilarious kicker... Criminal did not see a penny. It all went to back debt and Child Support. The lawyer said the look on the inmates face was priceless when they offered the inmate a settlement, the inmate signed whatever legal form, then was told he wasn't *actually* going to see any of the money. And the hilarious kicker... The thug was told that he had X amount of debt and child support he still owed, and if he were to ever receive a judgment again he would have to repay the rest of his debt and child support... The lawyer told me the inmate had been bragging in the jail, and running up "prison debt." My buddy said, the criminal is now sitting in solitary confinement, can't walk the open-prison due to all the promises he made to other thugs in the system he would do with his money when he got it.

There is not justice very often. Sometimes it appears that karma is not working right. It was working right that day. That day there was justice in the system.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:00:47 AM EST
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By djsmiles:
The whole child support/family court system needs to be gutted.
View Quote

I agree, it took two to make the crotch fruit. Suck it up and deal with it.

So glad i could not have kids, one less thing for the .gov to get involved with.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:00:50 AM EST
Commiting crime is voluntary. 
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:10:02 AM EST
Originally Posted By juni4ling:
A Lawyer I knew back in Colorado who worked for the .gov was telling me a funny story...

Inmates sue the government, officers, the Warden, .gov employees, anybody all the time. Constantly. They don't stop.

One inmate finally won.

The inmate had been instigating an altercation with a prison worker, and the correctional worker struck the inmate in the face.

According to the lawyer, the inmate had been inching closer to the officer, but had not formally hit the officer. The officer thought the inmate deserved it. Hit the thug. Prison officer thought it was justified. Courts saw it otherwise.

The lawyer said the thug set the whole thing up from start to finish to try to create a lawsuit, and the inmate was known for toeing the line, forcing a prison worker to go over the line.

Officer was --tragically-- reprimanded. The .gov paid the inmate a lump sum of money.

Here is the hilarious kicker... Criminal did not see a penny. It all went to back debt and Child Support. The lawyer said the look on the inmates face was priceless when they offered the inmate a settlement, the inmate signed whatever legal form, then was told he wasn't *actually* going to see any of the money. And the hilarious kicker... The thug was told that he had X amount of debt and child support he still owed, and if he were to ever receive a judgment again he would have to repay the rest of his debt and child support... The lawyer told me the inmate had been bragging in the jail, and running up "prison debt." My buddy said, the criminal is now sitting in solitary confinement, can't walk the open-prison due to all the promises he made to other thugs in the system he would do with his money when he got it.

There is not justice very often. Sometimes it appears that karma is not working right. It was working right that day. That day there was justice in the system.
View Quote

It's nice to see that the system does actually work sometimes. It is pretty crappy that the officer had to be the victim of the "sting", but at least the criminal didn't benefit from it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:17:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:26:36 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 7:28:43 AM EST
Originally Posted By Aimless:
You usually can't get a child support reduction if your loss of income is voluntary or through your own fault. So Obama say prison gets you a reduction, what about if whitie gets fired for stealing from his job?

You know obama's motivation is racist because it over disproportionately affects blacks
View Quote

"we have, by no means overcome the legacies of slavery and Jim Crow and colonialism and racism,"

Till the bitter end his divisiveness has shown through.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 8:10:27 AM EST
So you're ok with an increase in your taxes to pay for raising a convicts offsprings ?

No one forced deadbeat dad to commit a crime.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:17:24 AM EST
Prisons should be replace with work farms. And when you get to that work farm you best set your mind for work. Or the prison master going to whip you.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:19:57 AM EST
Originally Posted By TruckinAR:

I agree, it took two to make the crotch fruit. Suck it up and deal with it.

So glad i could not have kids, one less thing for the .gov to get involved with.
View Quote

So am I.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:20:10 AM EST
This is fucking stupid. Commit a crime a get your child support reduced or eliminated? Crime wave inbound.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:23:29 AM EST
Originally Posted By Banditman:
Commiting crime is voluntary. 
View Quote

Yep. And some of them do receive wages for working in the prison. They don't need the money and their kids do.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:56:16 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 9:58:50 AM EST
Well they weren't paying anyway. I don't think anyone would choose jail as a vacation from child support
View Quote

I know people who will do almost anything to avoid paying. I bet you do too.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:00:48 AM EST
Originally Posted By Thunder_Stick:
Prisons should be replace with work farms. And when you get to that work farm you best set your mind for work. Or the prison master going to whip you.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:04:55 AM EST
Originally Posted By u-baddog:
So you're ok with an increase in your taxes to pay for raising a convicts offsprings ?

View Quote

How much of a difference does this change make in the amount of public assistance a person recieves when the person ordered to pay child support is incarcerated instead of working?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:14:01 AM EST
I'm curious how Obama can do this unilaterally through regulation without Congress
View Quote

I listen to some NPR podcasts and I am usually behind by several weeks.  It was only this week that I caught up to post-election weeping, wailing, gnashing of teeth over The Anointed Woman losing to Mr. Trump.

One of the things brought up was immigration status for the children of illegal immigrants who are now adults and cannot speak their home language well enough to go back and make a living.  Pres. Obama signed an executive order allowing them to get a temporary status so that they can work, etc, without being arrested and deported.

Because this is an executive order and not a law Pres. Trump can nullify it the first day.  Since he has promised to nullify all of Pres. Obama's EO's . . . and that is when they realized that they really should have let sleeping dogs lie while they worked on an actual law that would be approved by a majority of Congress.

I suspect that this is done with regulation or somesuch as well.  Pres. Obama is fond of thinking of his words as law.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:17:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/20/2016 10:17:33 AM EST by Aimless]
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:27:55 AM EST
Maybe I'm a little dense and don't quite get how this works. So just how much money do inmates make that they can still make child support payments? I can understand if it's a wealth person in prison, or someone with significant holdings. But are most convicts so well off financially that they can continue to make child support payments while still in prison?

And what good does it do to keep piling on fees, fines, and more prison time? I have zero experience with this but for the life of me, can't figure pout how the average con is going to be able to pay child support. If they get out of prison and still owe $24k (the average stated in the article), where the hell are they expected to get the money? It makes sense now that people run from the cops if they owe back child support.

I'm not supporting crooks here, just wondering what sense it makes to keep after these people when there is no reasonable chance of getting the money back.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 10:53:44 AM EST
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 12:45:04 PM EST
[Last Edit: 12/20/2016 12:57:32 PM EST by u-baddog]
Originally Posted By Sixpack595:

How much of a difference does this change make in the amount of public assistance a person recieves when the person ordered to pay child support is incarcerated instead of working?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes

You are asking the wrong question. You should asked where the money comes from for the welfare benefits.
States buget will lose millions. It's going to need to replaced from somewhere.
In some states every penny of the child support from absent fathers is used to supplement the welfare check. Dads money may make up a 2% or 100% of the welfare check. So now we are stuck for 100% of the bill and daddy is debt free instead of paying back the money he owes.
Would the bank forgive your car note ?
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:07:46 PM EST

You are asking the wrong question. You should asked where the money comes from for the welfare benefits.
In some states every penny of the child support from absent fathers is used to supplement the welfare check. Dads money may make up a 2% or 100% of the welfare check. So now we are stuck for 100% of the bill and daddy is debt free instead of paying back the money he owes.
View All Quotes

You said this would increase our taxes. The question is how much will public assistance increase due to the lost child support from incarcerated Persons? If they have no income while incarcerated, those kids are on the same public assistance as if they just don't enforce the child support order.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:09:40 PM EST
Originally Posted By djsmiles:
The whole child support/family court system needs to be gutted.
View Quote

Women are just as able as men to make money. The whole idea of CS should be eliminated.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:36:11 PM EST
I'm curious how Obama can do this unilaterally through regulation without Congress
View Quote

I heard he has a Pen and a Phone. He is supposed to be some big constitutional scholar. I think he is full of shit...
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 2:54:58 PM EST

You said this would increase our taxes. The question is how much will public assistance increase due to the lost child support from incarcerated Persons? If they have no income while incarcerated, those kids are on the same public assistance as if they just don't enforce the child support order.
View All Quotes

You don't make sense.
Two choices, raise taxes or slash benefits to make up for the buget shortfall.
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:05:33 PM EST
Boyfreind of a young coworker was thrown in jail for late child support.  Lost his job as a result of course.  Finally got work release but his employer wouldn't take him back so he had to sit in jail a few months.  I assume the baby-mama was happy just to fuck with him, cause she sure didn't get any money from him during all this.  
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:20:44 PM EST
Originally Posted By UV18:

Yep. And some of them do receive wages for working in the prison. They don't need the money and their kids do.
View Quote

Yup, they make crazy amounts of money while incarcerated....at 25 cents an hour, it should only take them about 4000 hours of hard labor to save up a massive $1000, but that's before uncle Sam takes his cut, prison administrative fees are paid etc,. Some inmates make only a fraction of that per hour, so I'm sure it takes them much longer to amass such a huge fortune..

https://doc.sd.gov/documents/about/policies/Inmate%20Pay.pdf
Link Posted: 12/20/2016 3:45:15 PM EST

You don't make sense.
View All Quotes

You don't make sense.

You keep assuming that by ordering inmates to keep paying child support that it actually happens. The "budget shortfall" you fear creating already exists. Those kids are already on public assistance, this won't change that. The inmate doesn't have the income to comply with the order. Its an order maintained based on fantasy. Slashing benefits is fine by me too, but that's not my call to make
Top Top