Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/6/2004 4:55:41 PM EST
I've been searching online for about 30 minutes now and can't find a single freeware Win to MAC Word viewer. The MAC does NOT have Word on it but I need to view Windows Microsoft Word .doc's on it. Thanks for the help.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:56:55 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 4:57:22 PM EST by deimos]
What OS are you using?
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 4:58:22 PM EST
Try Appleworks, Nisus Writer, the old WordPerfect. Also for a good source check CNEt or MacDownloads.com
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:02:19 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:15:33 PM EST

Use Appleworks to open your MS Word doc. Launch Appleworks, go to File...then Open....next go to Change File format (at the bottom of the screen) to and change "Appleworks" to "AllAvailable" and go from there.

Link Posted: 10/6/2004 5:22:36 PM EST
text edit, included with os x, will read and write .doc files. i havent tried it for compatibility with particulalry old versions of word though.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:01:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2004 6:07:13 PM EST by ShortyAK]
Considering Microsoft has been making Word for Macintosh since the 80s I guarantee that you can open it.

Now, what version of PC Word is the file from? What version of the Mac OS are you running? What version of Office for Mac do you have? If you can answer these questions I'm sure we can help you.

I did a quick search on Versiontracker and found THIS. It's only $20.
Link Posted: 10/6/2004 6:12:10 PM EST
openoffice.org/ is a great office suite, and it's free. I have a ton of old Word files that Word XP won't open that OO opens just fine. It does a better job opening Word documents than even Word! The OO presentation program called Impress is unbelievable better than PowerPoint. It only took me five minutes to talked four PowerPoint designers to switch to OO after showing them a few nice features. With the transparency and transparent gradients, you can easily create some nice looking presentations. Also, all of the programs have a good PDF export built-in, even the presentation program. So, you can create a presentation then anyone can view it, not just those that paid for PowerPoint or downloaded a .ppt viewer.z
Top Top