Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 3/8/2010 7:14:38 PM EDT
Well, we shot a unarmed soldier after he surrendered. Discuss.
Poll incomming
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:15:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Uh, no, I always kinda want uphem to get fucked up a litlle.

Cowardly fucker

IBTP
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:16:25 PM EDT
[#2]
Things were different then.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:17:34 PM EDT
[#3]
War is hell..... besides would you rather the german be tried as a citizen instead of an enemy combatant?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:17:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:

How so??

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:20:39 PM EDT
[#5]
Guess back then,when some guy that was just shooting at you tries to surrender, shooting one more won't make a difference.In the begining landing scene,when they capture the bunkers,they shoot 2 germans trying to surrender. Capt. Miller just looks and rolls his eyes.

It is,what it is.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:21:37 PM EDT
[#6]
im pretty sure that german was reaching for something.......
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:23:47 PM EDT
[#7]
No!  That jackass told them he loved America, then when they let him go to turn himself in, he fought for the Germans again.

He lied.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:24:03 PM EDT
[#8]
I voted no.   That is what the "correct" answer should be.   However, the Geneva convention wasn't drafted/ratified until 1949, so "game on" I guess.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:26:03 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so??

The practice of shooting Japanese wounded rather than treating them for instance, since the Japs liked to go out kamikaze with a grenade and kill the medic.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:28:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
No!  That jackass told them he loved America, then when they let him go to turn himself in, he fought for the Germans again.

He lied.

eta
Upham shot "steamboat Willie" and not Melishs killer?

Damn, I need to watch it again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:28:25 PM EDT
[#11]
He should be charged for being a faggot-ass pussy.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:29:04 PM EDT
[#12]
NO WAY!

I heard him say he's coming right for me in german before he pulled the trigger.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:33:16 PM EDT
[#13]
no!! he should be shot for being a fucking coward for not ascending the stairs when the Jew guy got stuck fighting his Nazi friend..
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:34:07 PM EDT
[#14]

He should be charged for being a yellow bellied coward for not shooting him the first time he ran across the German.  

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:34:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Once you shoot at me, your coupon for surrendering expires.
Whether I choose to accept it or not is entirely at the discretion of the cashier.

At least, thats what this one guy told me.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:36:12 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

FAIL!!!!!!!! Same fucking guy!!

ETA stealth edit^^
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:38:25 PM EDT
[#17]
tom hanks pissed me off when he went off on his faggy little speech when not letting his men shoot the german
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:38:39 PM EDT
[#18]
No, he saved the Kraut's life the first time around, so it was his to take the second.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:38:55 PM EDT
[#19]
Aupem = Danny from lost.

Second time yes.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:39:00 PM EDT
[#20]
You can only take prisoners if you have the capacity to take responsible control of them and move them through a chain of custody.

This is why we didn't always take prisoners on D Day, you can't tell your POWs to "wait here" while you try and complete your objectives. And this is also why the Germans executed a lot of surrendered prisoners during the start of the Battle of the Bulge. Not saying it is right or proper, just saying many times the objective is more important than making sure you can manage your POWs. Factor in a general dislike for the enemy and that is how it happens. And that is why it is also not a good plan to figure you can always surrender if things get real hot.

Not everyone can be Sgt. York and that is what makes such events rare indeed.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:39:37 PM EDT
[#21]
Edit.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:39:47 PM EDT
[#22]
German is capitalized, by the way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:40:38 PM EDT
[#23]
Every time I watch Saving PT Ryan I get so damn mad that Aupem doesn't smoke that MF'n Nazi after "the squad" takes the mg42 nest by the comm tower.  Shoot first, let God sort 'em out later.  
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:41:32 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

How so??

We were attempting to win.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:41:57 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

He lied.

He had to have been found by other germans before hand, what could he have done? Told them "Sorry, these nice Americans let me go, so I can't fight anymore." They would have executed him, and rightly so. Even if he WANTED to no longer fight, and tried to find an American patrol to turn himself in to, what choice would he have if found by the germans 1st? Maybe the entire battle he was trying not to hit anyone.

What Auphem did was no different than if I just executed someone who tried to mug me, and surrendered when his gun jammed or something.

Of course, for all we know, that guy just got done doing a tour on the eastern front raping and murdering his way across half of russia.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:42:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
no!! he should be shot for being a fucking coward for not ascending the stairs when the Jew guy got stuck fighting his Nazi friend..

It wasn't Steamboat WIllie that killed Melesch (sp?), that was a SS guy. But it was Steamboat Willie who shot Capt. Miller.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:43:04 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

He lied.

That was a different guy. I know, they all look alike. But Steamboat Willie wasn't in that battle.

Er, wait a minute. Brain fart. Gotta check something. Yeah, I was thinking of the guy that walked by wimpy on the stairs. I thought that was the same dude the first couple of times. Never really paid attention to who shot Miller or who Wimpy shot. I thought he just grew a pair as soon as the battle was won. My bad.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:43:44 PM EDT
[#28]
He should be charged with dereliction for letting the rest, that were surrendering, run away.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:45:17 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

That was a different guy. I know, they all look alike. But Steamboat Willie wasn't in that battle.

Mother of god!!! WTF???
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:45:21 PM EDT
[#30]
Needs an 'Option D' - "I didn't see anything"
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:46:25 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It wasn't Steamboat WIllie that killed Melesch (sp?), that was a SS guy. But it was Steamboat Willie who shot Capt. Miller.

Exactly, I had a guy swear up and down it was the same guy.  I could not convince him.  One was Wehrmacht(MG42/Tom Hanks shooter) and one was SS(Hand to hand fight/bayonet stabbing).  I guess the confusion was with all the shaved heads which I could not understand.  Germans often had notoriously long hair with low or medium white walls.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:46:43 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
tom hanks pissed me off when he went off on his faggy little speech when not letting his men shoot the german

Even in war some men try and keep their humanity and sense of being civilized. Not always smart or even possible, but I can understand that some will try. I personally only think you should do so, if you are inclined to do it at all, when nobody but yourself is put at risk but not everyone thinks that way.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:46:53 PM EDT
[#33]
What Auphem did was no different than if I just executed someone who tried to mug me, and surrendered when his gun jammed or something.

Ok, so you don't see a difference between all out declared Total War and a mugging where you life is no longer in imminent danger?  Good one.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:47:01 PM EDT
[#34]
My Uncle [wounded - Battle of the Bulge] was open and honest about shooting un-armed Germans.

His unit was orded that no German POWs would be taken,
after the discovery of the Malmedy Massacre.

These things happen...

RIP Uncle Bill

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:47:41 PM EDT
[#35]
Its Cpl. Timothy P. Upham

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:48:16 PM EDT
[#36]
Going for a weapOn
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:48:28 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lied.

eta

Ya he shot the guy that they previously captured, who actually was the one in the movie who shot Miller. The soldier who killed Melish was SS trooper not a wehrmacht soldier like steam boat willy was.

Originally
Posted By thefreshman991:

NO WAY!

I heard him say he's coming right for me in german before
he pulled the trigger.

Actually, he said "Upham, I know you" or something to that affect, I can't really remember as it has been a while since I last saw it.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:48:58 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

He had to have been found by other germans before hand, what could he have done? Told them "Sorry, these nice Americans let me go, so I can't fight anymore." They would have executed him, and rightly so. Even if he WANTED to no longer fight, and tried to find an American patrol to turn himself in to, what choice would he have if found by the germans 1st? Maybe the entire battle he was trying not to hit anyone.

Um...he stabbed a guy in the heart, and shot Miller through the chest. in the battle. I'd say he was trying to hit "anyone"

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:48:59 PM EDT
[#39]
looks like the OP is an Obama voter and supporter

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:49:53 PM EDT
[#40]

This is why war is hell.

Of which I know next to nothing.

So I don't know the answer.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:49:57 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, I had a guy swear up and down it was the same guy.  I could not convince him.  One was Wehrmacht and one was SS.  I guess the confusion was with all the shaved heads which I could not understand.  Germans had often had notoriously long hair with low or medium white walls.

Hollywood thought you couldn't hate them enough if they weren't skinheads. That said, shooting prisoners is counter productive. Surrendering en masse because they know they will be fairly treated is better than them fighting to the last man and taking as many of you with them.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:50:39 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

He lied.

Um...he stabbed a guy in the heart, and shot Miller through the chest. in the battle. I'd say he was trying to him "anyone"

Read my post above, steam boat willy didn't kill Melish, Melish was killed by an SS trooper.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:52:37 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, I had a guy swear up and down it was the same guy.  I could not convince him.  One was Wehrmacht(MG42/Tom Hanks shooter) and one was SS(Hand to hand fight/bayonet stabbing).  I guess the confusion was with all the shaved heads which I could not understand.  Germans often had notoriously long hair with low or medium white walls.

if this is the case, that German spared Uham's life. Shooting him is completely unacceptable.

ETA: Wait, so the SS guy spared Upham?
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:53:43 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Exactly, I had a guy swear up and down it was the same guy.  I could not convince him.  One was Wehrmacht and one was SS.  I guess the confusion was with all the shaved heads which I could not understand.  Germans had often had notoriously long hair with low or medium white walls.

Hollywood thought you couldn't hate them enough if they weren't skinheads. That said, shooting prisoners is counter productive. Surrendering en masse because they know they will be fairly treated is better than them fighting to the last man and taking as many of you with them.

Yea, I figured that was the reason.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:54:22 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

eta

Ya he shot the guy that they previously captured, who actually was the one in the movie who shot Miller. The soldier who killed Melish was SS trooper not a wehrmacht soldier like steam boat willy was.

Quoted:
NO WAY!

I heard him say he's coming right for me in german before he pulled the trigger.

Actually, he said "Upham, I know you" or something to that affect, I can't really remember as it has been a while since I last saw it.

This ... he called Upham by fucking name!!!!! some random SS guy just fucking guesses his name??
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:55:18 PM EDT
[#46]
All I know is that if some fucker who we let go earler is now trying his damndest to slowly slip a shower curtain rod length knife into my buddy's chest, he's gonna catch the hammer of thor to the head not once, but thrice, if I can do anything about it.  And if for some reason I was paralyzed with fear, and let him do it and get away with it, and then he shot my commander, who ordered him freed, and then stood there surrendering to me, I would not shoot him.  No, I would slice pieces off of him slowly and feed them to dogs while he watched and listened.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:55:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
I voted no.   That is what the "correct" answer should be.   However, the Geneva convention wasn't drafted/ratified until 1949, so "game on" I guess.

Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:55:20 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

if this is the case, that German spared Uham's life. Shooting him is completely unacceptable.

ETA: Wait, so the SS guy spared Upham?

Yes, it was an SS guy and not the Wehrmacht 42 gunner.  This must be a common misconception.
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:56:14 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:

THIS
Link Posted: 3/8/2010 7:56:36 PM EDT
[#50]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

He lied.

eta

Quoted:
NO WAY!

This ... he called Upham by fucking name!!!!! some random SS guy just fucking guesses his name??

The American was calling his name first, so he copied him. IT IS TWO DIFFERENT CHARACTERS FOR CRYING OUT LOUD.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top