Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/1/2004 12:38:29 PM EDT
I shoot at my moms place occasionally and had a little back stop set up that was made of railroad ties and a few loads of sand that was fairly close to the property line.  Civilization is encroaching fast and I shut down my little shooting area becase a neighbor built their place fairly close to the property line also and didn't really want to make anyone mad or have the local sheriff come call on me.  I was wondering if anyone knows what the laws are regarding shooting in proximity of another persons domicile or property line?
Thanks
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 5:34:35 AM EDT
[#1]
You sound like a good neighbor.  I'd suggest you check with the local law enforcement.  This kind of regulation varies by locality.  What might apply in a more populous county might not be the same as your county.  Then, again, the county might apply new regulations as a result of the expansion you mention.  So, it varies, and it's best to get the info. from the horse's mouth.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 11:35:58 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
I shoot at my moms place occasionally and had a little back stop set up that was made of railroad ties and a few loads of sand that was fairly close to the property line.  Civilization is encroaching fast and I shut down my little shooting area becase a neighbor built their place fairly close to the property line also and didn't really want to make anyone mad or have the local sheriff come call on me.  I was wondering if anyone knows what the laws are regarding shooting in proximity of another persons domicile or property line?
Thanks
View Quote

Things like this are covered by local ordinances.
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 12:54:28 PM EDT
[#3]
True and not true.  In Texas, if it is county, and on your property, you can shoot.  If you fire over the road or persons home, it is like breach of peace.  The exact title is as follows.  
Text
§42.12.  Discharge of firearm in certain municipalities.

(a)  A person commits an offense if the person recklessly discharges a firearm
inside the corporate limits of a municipality having a population of 100,000 or more.

(b)  An offense under this section is a Class A misdemeanor.

(c)  If conduct constituting an offense under this section also constitutes an
offense under another section of this code, the person may be prosecuted under either
section.

(d)  Subsection (a) does not affect the authority of a municipality to enact an
ordinance which prohibits the discharge of a firearm.

(Added by L.1995, chap. 663(1), eff. 9/1/95.)

There are others, but that should cover your question!
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 1:41:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sounds like I'm covered since this is in Chambers County and in no way in a municipality or close to any city limits.  It used to be in B.F.E. when originally purchased but, since it is also waterfront, the property that used to be rice fields is turning into homesteads fast.  
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Sounds like I'm covered since this is in Chambers County and in no way in a municipality or close to any city limits.  It used to be in B.F.E. when originally purchased but, since it is also waterfront, the property that used to be rice fields is turning into homesteads fast.  
View Quote

I would be sure to check with the County before you shoot another round.  "Thinking" you are right is not always right.  Not being an ass, actually, just lookin out for ya.  Call and ensure.  The law may be black and white, but circumstances dictate.

c
Link Posted: 1/2/2004 4:32:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Real simple.  well, simple concept but hard to implement sometimes.

Find out where your county codes are and read them.

See what they say about discharge of firearms.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top