Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 7/20/2002 1:51:51 PM EST
i debated whether to get a MIG welder but i think a stick welder will serve me better. (i do most of my welding/work outside anyhow, and its fairly windy here...shielding gas, doesnt shield) anyhow, im looking at Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln. this is what i want 1.) i want to be able to weld 1/4 steel w.out a problem. (good duty cycle is needed) 2.) 220 volt. 3.) approx $300 or so 4.) i want infinitly adjustable amperage. (ie, no clicks between settings) question i have, what is the difference between a welder that is say...220 Amp AC and one that is 220 Amp AC/150 Amp DC? what does the DC rating mean (ie, what do you need it for, aluminum or some such stuff?) thanks again
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:14:56 PM EST
Originally Posted By SkaerE: ... anyhow, im looking at Miller, Hobart, and Lincoln. ...
View Quote
well, I can't answer your questions directly, but I will go as far as to say you're on the right track!
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:22:39 PM EST
Can't get a good DC welder for that price..... I have a Miller that works well for me, has a screw type adjuster so that I can change power settings a little at a time.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:32:01 PM EST
This was just discussed on [url=http://www.tractorbynet.com/cgi-bin/compact/showflat.pl?Cat=&Board=buildit&Number=169267&page=0&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=]tractorbynet.com[/url] The short answer is it depends mostly on what you need it for. Stick is versatile, and cheaper, but Mig is better at thin tubing/sheet and has a quicker learning curve. The thread on Tractorbynet is understandably skewed toward farm duty stuff welding up angle iron and flat steel stock, which is a tad thicker than your VW restoration hobby guy needs.
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:34:07 PM EST
Okay, first question... what are you going to be doing? As in, is it for a business, day in and day out or hobby type use? Farm? We have a 220V Century (older one) for farm use. Has an infinate adjustibiltiy, hi-low settings. I've used ours for 2-3 hours (not straight, but long enough) and it's had no probs. All three of those you mentioned are good manufacturers. Lincoln is usually on the higher side if I recall. I did some searching.... so here is a few items: [url]www.weldersmall.com[/url] [img]http://www.weldersmall.com/listings/19835/m_thunderboltxl300200.jpg[/img] Even when using a basic machine, welders can't afford to sacrifice control. That's why our 225 or 300 amp Thunderbolt® XL Stick welding power sources have the control to get the exact heat you need - always. Also, these machines allow weld time to increase when amperage decreases. Two economical Thunderbolt models are available. The 225 offers a full 225 amp output at 20% duty cycle. The 300 provides 300 amps at 20% duty cycle. Both have the range and muscle to handle many Stick welding, hard surfacing, and cutting jobs. At the same time, they have the precision for low hydrogen and special alloy electrodes. Processes Stick (SMAW) Features Accu-Set™ amperage control Two wide amperage ranges with continuous adjustment Infinite current control for precise weld output Forced-draft cooling fan for extended life Miller's True Blue® Warranty: 3 years - parts and labor Comes complete with: 15 ft (4.6 m) No. 4 electrode cable with heavy-duty electrode holder 10 ft (3 m) work cable with clamp 225 model includes 6 ft (1.8 m) power cord with plug 300 model includes 10 ft (3 m) power cord Accessories Thunderbolt XL Running Gear: See your Miller distributor for further information. MIL 903641 $302.00 / ea The AC-225 is Lincoln's most popular selling stick welder. It's known for its smooth AC welding arc, its rugged industrial design and long life. Use the AC-225 to weld on a variety of materials, including carbon and low allow steels, stainless steels and cast iron. Welding performance is ideal for welding down to 16 gauge sheet metal or on heavy steel plate. Typical welding applications include maintenance and repair welding; building, fabricating or modifying equipment; constructing tools and fixtures, or rebuilding worn parts. Easy to install, comes with input power cable and plug. Easy to operate, comes with helmet, electrode holder and cable, work clamp and cable, sample pack of electrodes and welder's guidebook. Easy to set. Full range amp selector switch sets the current quickly and accurately. Long life. Comes with Lincoln's 3 year warranty including parts and labor. LIN K1170 $299.00 / ea [img]http://www.weldersmall.com/listings/13098/lin_k1170_sale.gif[/img]
Link Posted: 7/20/2002 2:57:21 PM EST
The DC setting works best for certain types of rods, for example 7018 or 5P+. If you are doing normal hobby or building stuff around the house all you really need is the AC. Get some good 6011 and 6013 rods and start having fun!
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 8:27:26 AM EST
I have a Lincold AC-225 and it will do what you want with the exception of maybe price, depending on where you buy it. It also does NOT have the continuous control of amperage (i.e. welding heat). The Lincoln AC-225C has continuous control, but its usually not available at the most home improvement stores like the AC-225 is. Stick with Big Red, you won't be sorry. Good luck. Merlin
Link Posted: 7/22/2002 9:06:18 AM EST
I've got one of the basic Miller stick welders, the Thunderbolt 225, and it works great for general welding. I've worked on my bush hog and welded 1/4" pipe with no problem (other than my stick control...lol). I don't think you can go wrong with it for the price.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:13:51 AM EST
I bought the Miller Thunderbolt to build 700+ feet of steel corral when I had my hobby farm and loved it. Also have used the Lincolns alot. I think the Miller is a little better especially the screw adj. for amperage. If you get an AC/DC you will use DC more after getting used to it. Less spatter on DC and you can weld thinner materials. Getting the right rod for the job is the bit thing. For the money the Miller is a little better but if you don't use it alot then I would buy the cheapest you can find. Seems easy to find used ones also. Hope this helps. Good day.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 9:34:47 AM EST
Buy the MIG welder. I got the Miller 175 Challenger. Use fluxcore if your outside and its windy. The machine easily adapts from MIG to FCAW in about 1 minute. It's all the welding machine that I need for my iron works buisness.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:46:29 PM EST
Ah big spender, all your gonna get in that price range is an AC buzzbox.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:55:30 PM EST
Maximize what your money buys - look for used machine. Try it before you buy it. Little goes wrong with this type welder so used is best bet. AC/DC machine is much more versatile. MIG requires less skill but stick does better job, particular overhead work. Miller is outstanding machine. Lincoln is good too. I know a Lincoln rep if you insist on new. He can get you a good deal. Consider a refurb; carries new factory warranty.
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 6:59:33 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/23/2002 7:01:40 PM EST by freeride21a]
[url]http://www.panasonicfa.com/welding/power_sources/gunslinger_260.shtml[/url] only problem is it aint $300 but it does both smaw(stick) and gmaw(mig) has worked great for 3 years so far. anything from lincoln miller or hobart would be fine different rod prefer different polarity and current some like a/c some like d/c also for tig you use one for aluminum and one for steel. also check ebay:D
Link Posted: 7/23/2002 7:55:29 PM EST
Really it depends on what you want to do with it. If you are welding sheet metal such as car bodies, You really need to use Mig with .023 wire and shielding gas. If wind is a problem use a tarp to build a wind break. If you want to weld 1/8 metal and up, Buy either a stick machine or Mig and use Flux core wire. If you decide on a stick machine, Find one that has both ac and dc. Most of the rods run better on Dc and you have a greater selection. To weld Aluminum You really need to use a Mig machine with a spool gun or A Tig machine with Ac capabilty's. Hobart is made by Miller and are nice machines. I really perfer Miller over anything else. I personally own a Miller Trailblazer and the school where I teach uses all Miller machines. I have used Lincoln engine drive welders in the past and they didn't compare to Miller IMHO. Don't have alot of experiance on their regular shop machines. Hope this helps.
Top Top