Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/26/2014 4:09:48 PM EDT

i have been looking on landwatch.com for property with lots of acres, and i see alot of stuff in texas and arizona such as 80 acres for 20k, well sounds like a good deal but its always either right on the border in texas counties such as hudsputh ( i think i spelled that right ) and its way away from any thing, that kinda worries me, i get this idea that in the night i would be invaded by border crossers or something.

now i did see a good deal in st johns arizona but according to the youtube vids i seen, st johns is close to a ghost town, no walmart almost no jobs, i want to be out away from the cities as my plan is to have the big acres so me and my girl friend can possibly start a cattle ranch
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:16:05 PM EDT
[#1]
Water
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:21:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Water
View Quote

Yep.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:22:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
Water
View Quote

There ain't shit out there. 80 acres will go for 20k in west Texas, in some of the eastern areas 80 acres will be upwards of 600k. Also worth noting, 80 acres in that part of the nation will only support 6-12 head of cattle without outside resources.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:23:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Despite your thread title, there was no actual question in your post. Just a bunch of bad grammar, spelling and statements.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:25:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Edit your thread title to CAPITALIZE the "A" in Arizona OP.

"your" is also a typo in your title, it should be "you're"... and show some respect for those poor "T"exans, too. (Hey, everybody can't be from AZ.)
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:25:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Lack of water, you have to have well(s) dug, septic, etc.

In addition, sometimes these parcels of land are in really weird places. As in, you have to cross someone else's land to get to them. It was a thing a few years ago for people to buy land sight unseen in NM, TX, AZ, etc. without realizing this stuff, thinking they were getting a good deal... lotta really bummed out people.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:26:11 PM EDT
[#7]
What is the land for?

St. Johns is in beautiful country, but the whole area has a very depressed economy. I would love to live in that area, but I would hate to have to make a living there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:26:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Water and power.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:28:31 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Water and power.
View Quote
This

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:29:50 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

i have been looking on landwatch.com for property with lots of acres, and i see alot of stuff in texas and arizona such as 80 acres for 20k, well sounds like a good deal but its always either right on the border in texas counties such as hudsputh ( i think i spelled that right ) and its way away from any thing, that kinda worries me, i get this idea that in the night i would be invaded by border crossers or something.

now i did see a good deal in st johns arizona but according to the youtube vids i seen, st johns is close to a ghost town, no walmart almost no jobs, i want to be out away from the cities as my plan is to have the big acres so me and my girl friend can possibly start a cattle ranch
View Quote

I'm from St Johns.... Nothing there. Not much water either.

Edit/ grazing aint that great anymore
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:31:35 PM EDT
[#11]
You should be looking at the weather plats first before anything else.

If it says the AVERAGE summer temp is 120,  and it gets 20" of annual rain all on the same day,   You might want to look somewhere else.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:32:09 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:32:56 PM EDT
[#13]
No water....no value.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:34:19 PM EDT
[#14]
Watch more than just water issues. A buddy of mine is trying to come up with the $35000 it will cost to get electricity to his place he bought "cheap".
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:35:04 PM EDT
[#15]
Raised in Phoenix, live in Texas. Cheap land is cheap for a reason.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:37:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
No water....no value.
View Quote

This.
There is a lot of land in west Texas where there is no water at any depth.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:39:53 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

80 acres, 8 cows, and that's when there's no drought.

Think in terms of sections.  More than a couple.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

80 acres, 8 cows, and that's when there's no drought.

Think in terms of sections.  More than a couple.

Not even the worst if it comes w/ water rights that don't require a oil rig to access.  I thought it would maybe be 40 acres to run a cow for the year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:48:33 PM EDT
[#18]

I read a story recently about a couple who bought some land cheap in west Texas so they could live off the grip.
They collect rainwater from their roof into cisterns, use an outhouse and use that for fertilizer, built their house from scrap wood and mud. I think they used solar for power.

It can be done but it takes a lot of work. You can't just show up and live like that.

Think about what will happen if there is a medical emergency. Help might be slow coming if you can reach them.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:48:42 PM EDT
[#19]
well according to the pictures of the st johns  property their is alot of grass, but i have never been to any of those desert states so i have no idea what its like... how much rain, or what the summers are like or any thing, i figure since some of you live their you could just give me a general idea
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:51:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Raised in Phoenix, live in Texas. Cheap land is cheap for a reason.
View Quote

Raised in Texas, live in Phoenix.  Concur.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:55:19 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Lack of water, you have to have well(s) dug, septic, etc.

In addition, sometimes these parcels of land are in really weird places. As in, you have to cross someone else's land to get to them. It was a thing a few years ago for people to buy land sight unseen in NM, TX, AZ, etc. without realizing this stuff, thinking they were getting a good deal... lotta really bummed out people.
View Quote

In KY if you sell someone land that is locked (no access to public roads) then you have to give them an easement through your property.

Is it not the same out west?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:56:32 PM EDT
[#22]
Some land isn't worth anything, My EXwife had family land near Animas, NM. He granddad paid $2 an acre for it way back, after inflation I'll bet it still isn't worth 2 bucks.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:57:37 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
well according to the pictures of the st johns  property their is alot of grass, but i have never been to any of those desert states so i have no idea what its like... how much rain, or what the summers are like or any thing, i figure since some of you live their you could just give me a general idea
View Quote

Grass might show right after the monsoon, but that doesn't mean there is going to any growing the rest of the year.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 4:58:34 PM EDT
[#24]
Generally land that is worth a shit out west is taken up by the rich, old money (there are ranches in the west in excess of 20k acres that have been in families since the late 19th century), or its expensive and you need a hell of a lot of it to support any sort of agricultural endeavor.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:08:15 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

I read a story recently about a couple who bought some land cheap in west Texas so they could live off the grip.
They collect rainwater from their roof into cisterns, use an outhouse and use that for fertilizer, built their house from scrap wood and mud. I think they used solar for power.

It can be done but it takes a lot of work. You can't just show up and live like that.

Think about what will happen if there is a medical emergency. Help might be slow coming if you can reach them.
View Quote

If they have been trying to live off of collected rainwater then they have dried up and blown away.

The last five or ten years ain't been much on the precipitation side.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:10:52 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

If they have been trying to live off of collected rainwater then they have dried up and blown away.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Lots of people here in south Texas haul water to the ranches in trailers, I see them on the road everyday during the summer.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#27]
cheap land is likely shit land.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:31:53 PM EDT
[#28]
In that part of the world 80 acres can support 1/10th of a cow. If you just want "land" then it works. If you want to do something with it buy in bulk. There's a reason you see places that are 20k acres up for sale often.

That cheap 80 acres probably doesn't come with mineral or water rights either.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:39:48 PM EDT
[#29]
I looked at buying land in northern Arizona a couple of years ago.  500 acres minimum.

When told the facts regarding the water situation I shelved the idea.

The easiest way to have water was to have it hauled in by tanker.    Very expensive.  Too expensive for me.

And wells cost out the ass with no guarantees.

gd
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:41:27 PM EDT
[#30]

Link to story.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:49:43 PM EDT
[#31]
Meanwhile, my grandparents own mineral rights in New Mexico....my great great grand dad owned the land and sold it to a rancher in the 1920s, but kept the rights.

There's a shit ton of oil under that ground that has yet to be drilled.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#32]
South Eastern AZ is gorgeous but has massive problems with illegals.  Definitely check the property for trails and garbage piles before you buy, these can be warning signs of illegal trails.  Check out the Dragoons, but land isn't dirt cheap.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 5:58:12 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Despite your thread title, there was no actual question in your post. Just a bunch of bad grammar, spelling and statements.
View Quote

He'd probably be happier in Oklahoma.  

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

There ain't shit out there. 80 acres will go for 20k in west Texas, in some of the eastern areas 80 acres will be upwards of 600k. Also worth noting, 80 acres in that part of the nation will only support 6-12 head of cattle without outside resources.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Water

80 acres in St Johns Arizona won't support two cattle, much less six to twelve.

You could probably run a pretty good meth lab there.
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:01:40 PM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

I looked at buying land in northern Arizona a couple of years ago.  500 acres minimum.

When told the facts regarding the water situation I shelved the idea.

The easiest way to have water was to have it hauled in by tanker.    Very expensive.  Too expensive for me.

And wells cost out the ass with no guarantees.
gd
View Quote

Problem with looking for big plots of land out West is that the government owns a huge percentage of the land from the front range of the Rockies to the Pacific.  Both the Feds and the States themselves.

Texas doesn't have that problem, but cheap land is cheap because you can't do a lot with it, or can't get to it easily.  In Arizona you have national forests, state forests, and Indian reservations taking up a lot of land.

Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:02:44 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
South Eastern AZ is gorgeous but has massive problems with illegals.  Definitely check the property for trails and garbage piles before you buy, these can be warning signs of illegal trails.  Check out the Dragoons, but land isn't dirt cheap.
View Quote

You're right on both counts, but that wouldn't deter me.
Great screen name by the way!  
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:03:17 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

How much do you have to invest?  
What do you consider lots of acres?
By cattle ranch, do you mean a real working ranch  that you will get the majority of your income from, one to supplement your income from your real job, or just a hobby ranch?
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#38]
If it wasn't for deer hunting and oil half of Texas would cost about treeefifty
Link Posted: 1/26/2014 6:04:24 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Water

No kidding. Never been out there. Only passed through AZ once. I stopped for a round of Golf outside Tucson, near Red Rock. Beautiful area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top