Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/4/2007 8:55:03 AM EDT
I was in a collision after an idiot lost control of his car while passing me on an icy bridge on I90 and came into my lane.  Trooper wrote him a ticket for failure to maintain control of his vehicle and he's listed at fault.

If I have my insurance company handle it, they take my deductible ($500).  So I'm going to try to deal with idiot's insurance, Geico, myself.

What do I need to know?

edit:  I'd like to cash out, as it's a broken bumper and badly dented quarter panel.  I don't care what it looks like--I'd rather send the money to the lien holder.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:57:49 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:59:35 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm LE in WI, so I'm familiar with the accident report itself.  The guy will be shown at fault and was cited as well.

It's the body shop and dealing with insurance that I need help with.  I was in an injury accident 10 years ago and nearly messed up dealing with the insurance companies.  I don't deal with that stuff.  And my car knowledge can be summed up as:  "Push the right pedal, it goes faster.  Push the left pedal, it slows down."

Should I avoid "Geico-certified" shops?  Can Geico demand that I take my car there?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:01:14 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:29:27 AM EDT
[#4]
Trying to "work" the system to avoid paying the $500 deductible is a huge risk on your part.  Likewise on "cashing out".  Getting hit is not supposed to be a for-profit venture.

Plus, when you signed your loan documents, you promised in writing to keep the car in shape, so not fixing the car would be dishonest. They hold the title because the car belongs to them, not you.  They're just letting you drive it until you've paid it off.  Fix their car.

And I'm not saying that you won't, but I've never seen someone "forward the money to the lein holder".  What I've seen is plenty of people "cash out" so that they can piss away the money on other stuff.

Typically, the initial estimate is just for what they can see.  Once the car is torn down, there will be a supplemental claim to cover the rest.  If you cash out, trying to save the $500 deductible, you may screw yourself out of thousands of dollars.

Link Posted: 12/4/2007 3:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
When my car got hail damage, all the money went to the lien holder.  As a matter of fact, the insurance company cut a check made out to "glenn_r and his lien holder."  I'd rather drive a paid-for car that has dents, than drive a car I don't fully own that looks nice.  Call me crazy.  The sooner I pay off this car and drive it for "free", the happier I will be.  This isn't a "for profit venture" unless deciding what kind of transportation I want to drive is now illegal.  Somehow I doubt the lienholder will let me off the hook from paying the entire loan, regardless of whether the car looks new or looks dented.  

The only damage is to the fender, headlight assembly, and front right quarter panel.  No impact on the tire, no shaking or shuddering.  It drives the same as it did before the crash.

So, back on track.  Any tips for dealing with Geico?
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 5:11:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Contact your insurance company, then talk with Geico, if they don't want to fix your car right (and you should not pay your deductable, Geico should)
then have your insurance company fix it and let your insurance company subragate with Geico.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:25:35 PM EDT
[#7]
My mom's Expedition was hit by a Geico client a little over a year ago, and it turned into an unnecessary cluster fuck to get things fixed right.  Good luck, that's all I can really offer.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 7:50:49 PM EDT
[#8]
Odd - I thought that you only paid out your deductible if your claim was for you being at-fault or against an uninsured motorist. All damages (without deductable paid by you) should be paid by the other party's insurance if he was at fault.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 8:07:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I used to use Geico until I was in an accident.  Other driver was found at fault in the accident report and it said "no improper action" on my part.

Geico tried raising my rates, I said bye.  That's what I think of Geico.
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 9:03:36 PM EDT
[#10]
I thought you could cash out if you 'owned' the vehicle, meaning no liens
Link Posted: 12/4/2007 11:18:45 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I thought you could cash out if you 'owned' the vehicle, meaning no liens

Ive taken the cash on a financed car - no issues and I was dealing with my insurance company directly so they knew it was financed.

I hit a deer.

Body shop estimate - $2400

WTF?!  Its a hood, 1 headlight and radiator support on a 2002 Kia Rio....the damn car isnt worth that much.

I put it up on the hoist at my buddies shop and checked it out good....the radiator and A/C condenser were bent but were not leaking.

I took the cash.

We porta-powered the radiator support around and resprayed it.  Bolted in a new headlight.  Snagged and painted a cheap aftermarket hood and bolted it on.

$175 hood
$40 paint
$75 headlight (ebay)

I paid him $200 for helping and paid the car off with the rest.

Then refinanced it later to buy a motorcycle.....its an endless circle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top