Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 4/17/2017 2:52:07 PM EDT
it's always great to make someone feel stupid when you explain that they're self-sustaining

i love USPS and anyone who doesn't can jump in a lake
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:53:24 PM EDT
[#1]
just wish they'd let us mail handguns as individuals, fuck UPS and FedEx but they're the only handgun mailing option

until i find an FFL who isn't gay and who will ship handguns for me, that is
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:53:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Nothing that incompetent could possibly exist without discussion me form of .gov funding.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:54:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Government protected and affiliated monopoly full of useless shitbags. They can cease to be tomorrow and it will not be soon enough
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:54:49 PM EDT
[#4]
I hope you have a lot of pepper to go with your angus OP
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:55:05 PM EDT
[#5]
If I'm not mistaken, the GOv't doesn't allow other companies to deliver 1st class mail. Hence,....a monopoly of sorts?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:55:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I hate USPS. They fuck everything up. Their tracking sucks. Shipping is slow. They deliver stuff to the wrong place all the time. They are like dealing with any other government bureaucracy.

And I would love to jump in a lake right now because my balls are sweaty.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:55:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
it's always great to make someone feel stupid when you explain that they're self-sustaining
View Quote

I'm listening
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:55:56 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:56:02 PM EDT
[#9]
troll thread. USPS has been operating in the red for years now.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:56:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote
they are actually the perfect hybrid of everything that's bad about the federal government and private businesses merged into one stinking herpetic sore.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:57:00 PM EDT
[#11]
LOL self sustaining ....LOL yeah since when ....this has to be a troll thread cause the whole 1st thread is full of shit
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:57:27 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
troll thread. USPS has been operating in the red for years now.
View Quote
Next, OP will school us all on how efficient AMTRAK is
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:57:42 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
If I'm not mistaken, the GOv't doesn't allow other companies to deliver 1st class mail. Hence,....a monopoly of sorts?
View Quote
it's one of the few things that benefits from uniformity
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:58:03 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 2:59:02 PM EDT
[#15]
i would give them more

i will get priority mail tattooed across my back if someone here pays for it
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:00:02 PM EDT
[#16]
OP is trolling or really dumb
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
just wish they'd let us mail handguns as individuals, fuck UPS and FedEx but they're the only handgun mailing option

until i find an FFL who isn't gay and who will ship handguns for me, that is
View Quote
Why can't you find a tabletop dealer willing to mail stuff out for you ? I do it on a fairly regular basis for my regular guys
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:00:05 PM EDT
[#18]
lol.  They could take lessons from the DMV on organizational management.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:00:12 PM EDT
[#19]
Thanks for the info. That makes me feel a lot better about my fucking package they lost last week. Fuck USPS.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:00:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote
Or both.
Can't seem to find the shift button, either
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:01:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

i would give them more

View Quote
We already pay for your mail.  Buy your own stupid tattoo.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:01:14 PM EDT
[#22]
...USPS doesn't actually use taxpayer dollars...
View Quote
Since USPS does provide mail service for people to send in tax returns,tax payments, and related documents, they do in fact use taxpayer dollars.

What is true is the USPS is not subsidized by the fed.gov.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:01:30 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Why can't you find a tabletop dealer willing to mail stuff out for you ? I do it on a fairly regular basis for my regular guys
View Quote
they keep moving or getting rid of their licenses

have gone through three in three years and now im limited to shops unless i plan on driving 15 mins away
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote
the truth is that first class mail is not profitable or sexy.  Other companies like FedEx and ups bite off the profitable portion of that business.  

If there were no usps there would be no first class mail.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:01:47 PM EDT
[#25]
USPS lost $5.5 billion in fiscal year 2014 [11] and $5.1 billion in 2015,[12]

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_States_Postal_Service
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:01:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

i would give them more

View Quote
No you wouldn't, shit talk, no balls.

Group buy?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:03:11 PM EDT
[#27]
Which route is yours?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:03:13 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:03:14 PM EDT
[#29]
You must have never have dealt with ups.  That are the biggest fuckups around and far worse than the
Postal service
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:03:32 PM EDT
[#30]
Then maybe the OP can explain Gov tags ob vehicles and treasury checks that pay the payroll at USPS
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:04:18 PM EDT
[#31]
what?   Please explain that
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:04:30 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

Group buy?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

i would give them more

Group buy?
I'd donate to a "Priority Male" tramp stamp for him.

Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:04:59 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

Group buy?
View Quote
im in for 200, make it fuckin huge.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:05:03 PM EDT
[#34]
Self sustaining is a stretch. My local PO replaced the roof last summer and put in a new wheel chair ramp, 10 feet from the old ramp. There are 25, yes 25 open PO boxes and no one in 20 years in a wheel chair. There was already a ramp and the roof was fine. Where are they getting their loans from?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:05:18 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Since USPS does provide mail service for people to send in tax returns,tax payments, and related documents, they do in fact use taxpayer dollars.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
...USPS doesn't actually use taxpayer dollars...

Except they are subsidized by the federal government.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View Quote

The legal monopoly is the only reason that dinosaur is still even twitching.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:05:38 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:

View Quote

Lol USPS,  probably the most incompetent .gov agency

It should be abolished,  like the IRS and EPA
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:06:35 PM EDT
[#38]
Allow me to piss in the OPs wheaties...

http://postalnews.com/blog/2015/05/09/postal-myths-2-the-usps-is-not-a-government-agency/

Most of the quasi-confusion can be traced back to the 1971 Postal Reorganization Act, which eliminated the old Post Office Department, replacing it with the US Postal Service. The act was intended to make the USPS self-financing from its own revenues, and to make it an independent, non-political public service. Prior to the PRA, postmasters (including the postmaster general) were political appointees; rates were set by Congress, and the POD had to go through the appropriations process to get the money it needed to operate.

The PRA established a Board of Governors who were responsible for selecting the PMG and setting policies and budgets. It allowed the USPS to use its revenue to finance its operations without any appropriation process. It set up a separate commission to set postage rates.

What it didn’t do was privatize the postal service in any way, shape or form. Some in Congress, then as now, would have favored privatization. Consideration was also given to making the USPS a government owned corporation, like the TVA or Amtrak. But neither of those things happened. Here’s what the Act says:”The United States Postal Service shall be operated as a basic and fundamental service provided to the people by the Government of the United States”. It also defines the USPS as “an independent establishment of the executive branch of the Government of the United States”. Being “independent” doesn’t make the USPS a “quasi-” anything- it simply means it is not part of one of the cabinet departments. Other “independent” agencies include the CIA and NASA.
View Quote
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:07:26 PM EDT
[#39]
I have no gripes with USPS. Their prices are still reasonable. For the price of stamp you can mail a letter anywhere in the country. The last sever dozen priority packages I have either sent or received have all been on time. I will not step foot inside a post office though
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:08:13 PM EDT
[#40]
USPS is also shitty at paying vendors on time. We had the entire organization on credit block for over a year because of invoices that were 180+ overdue. They weren't disputed, misfiled, incorrect, etc. - the USPS just didn't want to pay. Fuck them.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:09:42 PM EDT
[#41]
Quoted:
I have no gripes with USPS. Their prices are still reasonable. For the price of stamp you can mail a letter anywhere in the country. The last sever dozen priority packages I have either sent or received have all been on time. I will not step foot inside a post office though
View Quote
The mail carrier on my current route is so fucking incompetent, I have to have everything delivered to the corporate office.

Right now, there's probably a 50% chance of anything addressed to me actually getting to me.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:10:36 PM EDT
[#42]
I don't like the usps as an idea.

But I love their service. I trust them more than ups and FedEx. Faster delivery and cheaper shipping for medium sized packages.

I love priority mail
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:10:46 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:

View Quote
Did you also mention they get the following competitive advantages

No need to pay property tax, no need to pay sales taxes, no need to pay tolls, or vehicle registration, to the tune of about $3b in savings, saves half a billion a year min in interest by using the Federal Financing Bank.  

Not to mention some other legal monopolies.  However there are some things that hinder them most don't realize, like forward paying pensions that competitors are not forced to do.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:11:58 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

i would give them more

View Quote
https://www.gofundme.com/mixnmatch24s-priority-mail-tatto0

Will $500 buy a back tattoo or do we need to raise more?
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:12:17 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:
Or both.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Or both.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:12:31 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
Government protected and affiliated monopoly full of useless shitbags. They can cease to be tomorrow and it will not be soon enough
View Quote
The only thing they have monopoly on is "the mail."   Which is almost obsolete anyways.

They don't have a monopoly on the only thing that people use them for 90% of the time, which is delivering packages.

And as someone who has dealt with UPS, Fedex, and the USPS for package delivery on an extensive basis, I can tell you with a high degree of confidence that Fedex and UPS are not better at delivering packages than the USPS.

In fact, in alot of ways, USPS is better at it than either Fedex or UPS.  About the only thing Fedex has over USPS on package delivery is tracking.  All three of them are FANTASTIC at destroying packages.

And I'm about as free market libertarian as they come.  I agree with you that the USPS should have no special status in anything, whatsoever.   But experience trumps ideology every time.  The free market alternatives to the USPS suck quite hard, too.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:13:52 PM EDT
[#47]
I worked for them back around the time Carvin' Marvin Runyon came on board.   In sum, fuck the USPS.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:14:16 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

In fairness, most of te competition (Fedex, UPS, etc) drastically hurt the USPS by targeting the most profitable parts of the business.  The door to door delivery service would be incredibly low margin for anyone and USPS does a relatively decent job of making overall fairly cheap.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:14:28 PM EDT
[#49]
For the last 10 years, the USPS has recorded annual losses up to $15 billion per year.  They only lost $5.6 billion in 2016.  The biggest debt is to their retiree pension plan and they owe $52 billion to that. As of September 2015, they were $90 billion in debt.

Congress is already looking for a taxpayer paid bailout plan, so saying they don't actually use taxpayer dollars will not be true.   Congress doesn't want to lose their oversight and control on the USPS and that's preventing them from operating more like a private company that doesn't have to go to congress to ask permission to do things to improve their bottom line.

Add to the problem is that first class mail volume is dropping close to 7% per year, so their revenues will get even worse.  They need a 20% increase in volume just to break even.  It's a huge bubble waiting to explode.
Link Posted: 4/17/2017 3:15:22 PM EDT
[#50]
Dafuq is wrong with OP?
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top