Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
Posted: 9/15/2004 5:57:59 PM EST
ok, someone explain this to me.

my roommate made an art project of filling up condoms with plaster of paris. she was going for some dick looking things or something, who knows.

anyhow, she filled the condoms up, tried hanging them up but they started ripping. so she gave up, tied the rest of them like a baloon, and hoped for the best.

we both thought there would be no way in hell they would dry, since no air was able to hit them.

well, this was around midnight last night, and when i went outside on our deck, i picked one up, and sure enough it dried completely, even though it was encased in a latex condom and had the open end tied off completely.

how did that happen? the moisture had to go somewhere....and even if the condom had tiny, microscopic holes in it, i still dont see how it could dry in less than 8 hours.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 5:59:23 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2004 5:59:57 PM EST by arowneragain]
I think PoP goes through some sort of chemical process where the water actually combines with the other ingredients to form something else.

edit: technically speaking, that is.

<----never could get excited about chemistry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:00:25 PM EST
I don't know for sure but isn't water vapor a LOT smaller than semen.

Think about Gore-Tex. No water will penetrate but water vapor has no problem with it.

I may be dead wrong but that's the first thing that came to mind.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:01:10 PM EST
couldnt various viruses pass through the latex then?
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:02:08 PM EST
Unless you guys performed this experiment in a vacuum....air was involved.....and apparently enough to act as a catalyst for the reaction that bonded the agent.

Not a bad explanation after several vodka's....ahh, who knows...it was magic!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:02:55 PM EST
The gases could've escaped through the end that was tied... that's only a micron or two, so gases can exit there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:02:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:04:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By EricTheHun:
Is your roomate like, uh, Jenna Jameson, or something?

Making plaster of Paris pricks for an art project?

Hmmm.

Must be an elective course...

Eric The(OldTime)Hun

she's an art student at CU Boulder. they do stuff like this apparently.

homoerotic sacrelige is the 'in' thing or something.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:04:36 PM EST

Originally Posted By poink:

my roommate made an art project of filling up condoms with plaster of paris. she was going for some dick looking things or something, who knows.

anyhow, she filled the condoms up, tried hanging them up but they started ripping. so she gave up, tied the rest of them like a baloon, and hoped for the best.

we both thought there would be no way in hell they would dry, since no air was able to hit them.

well, this was around midnight last night, and when i went outside on our deck, i picked one up, and sure enough it dried completely, even though it was encased in a latex condom and had the open end tied off completely.

how did that happen? the moisture had to go somewhere....and even if the condom had tiny, microscopic holes in it, i still dont see how it could dry in less than 8 hours.

You will notice, if you had picked it up in the middle of the process that the PoP was warm. For quite a length of time. This is the chemical processes re-combining the various chemicals into more stable or just plain different compounds. Concrete is the same way.

In addition . . . condoms are not designed for the indefinite retention of seminal fluid, blood, or any other fluid. It is temporary, not permanent. You will notice that the packages make mention of not leaving it in the female too long after you are finished. The are pores that can be large enough to pass sperm, not in quantity . . . but it only takes one determined little guy to ruin your whole college experience.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:06:05 PM EST

my roommate made an art project of filling up condoms with plaster of paris.

Further proof to my theory that art majors are strange critters!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:06:08 PM EST
Plaster doesn't dry so much as it cures. It gets warm as it dries. It will even harden under water.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:09:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By macro:
Unless you guys performed this experiment in a vacuum....air was involved.....and apparently enough to act as a catalyst for the reaction that bonded the agent.
Not a bad explanation after several vodka's....ahh, who knows...it was magic!

The hemihydrate of Calcium Sulfate is Plaster of Paris. If exposed to additional water, it will aborb it and solidify. Air has absolutely nothing to do with the reaction. The condoms are working just fine.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:26:03 PM EST
Regardless of the chemical process of plaster curing (which does tie the water up), latex condoms are a semi-permeable membrane (just like most plastics). Given time, water will escape through the ultramicroscopic pores in between the polymer chains. Same for plastic soda bottles. Eventually a 2-liter of soda, unopened, will go flat due to the carbon dioxide gas diffusing through the bottle wall.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:31:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jame_Retief:

You will notice, if you had picked it up in the middle of the process that the PoP was warm. For quite a length of time. This is the chemical processes re-combining the various chemicals into more stable or just plain different compounds. Concrete is the same way.

Doesn't concrete need air? I remember reading about some large dam (might have been Hoover) where they had to put pipes though it to run air though so the thing would dry.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 6:36:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By SNorman:

Doesn't concrete need air? I remember reading about some large dam (might have been Hoover) where they had to put pipes though it to run air though so the thing would dry.

the pipes were filled with water and were used for cooling the concrete as it dried. that much concrete creates way too much heat!!
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:44:28 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/15/2004 8:47:14 PM EST by A_Free_Man]
Cement and plaster of paris don't dry... they "cure". The water combines with the various calcium and aluminum silicates, to form a crystaline network, known as "water of crystalization".

Ever seen "bluestone"? Copper sulfate crystals. These blue rocks, or crystals have water as part of the crystalline structure, but if you heat the crystal it falls apart to a white powder. You have driven out the water of crystalization. You can do the same with cement.

So, yes, cement will set up underwater, as will plaster of paris. Plaster of paris is sometimes combined with cement for some very quick set cement formulations.
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:51:36 PM EST

Hmmm.

Eric The(OldTime)Hun

Liberal college at it's finest
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:57:30 PM EST
GRRR!

Higher education my ass!

Paint a portrait, you dumb twat.

- BG

/rant
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 8:58:54 PM EST

Originally Posted By Kooter:

Originally Posted By SNorman:

the pipes were filled with water and were used for cooling the concrete as it dried. that much concrete creates way too much heat!!

That was probably it
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:01:38 PM EST
This experiment clearly shows that instead of using a condom before sex, you
should instead, plaster of Paris your dick for better results.

GM
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:03:45 PM EST

Originally Posted By scintillus:
...latex condoms are a semi-permeable membrane...

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:10:41 PM EST

Hmmm.

Eric The(OldTime)Hun

So is she hot?

ARH

Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:26:33 PM EST
P F M

Pure Fuckin Magic

Pilk
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:26:46 PM EST

1) Latex rips. Think rubber glove, but thinner.

2) Latex is porous. Not porous enough for sperm to get thru, but porous enough for some biological contaminants...

Condoms are effective against pregnancy, but are only partially effective against getting sick...
Link Posted: 9/15/2004 9:39:45 PM EST

That can be your story next time you're piss drunk and trying to bang some skank bareback.

Reminds me my roomate in college trying to bang a chick in my room one night. He got some skank to fuck him and took her to my room. He grabbed the bottle off the night stand to use as lube in the dark - he thought it was hand lotion or something. It was actually one of the red plastic bottles they used to sell of............Old Spice! That shit was like 50% alcohol. He said his dick was on fire for about an hour. Needless to say he never did seal the deal.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:00:44 AM EST

Originally Posted By arowneragain:
I think PoP goes through some sort of chemical process where the water actually combines with the other ingredients to form something else.

edit: technically speaking, that is.

<----never could get excited about chemistry.

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:52:48 AM EST

Originally Posted By TacticalMan:
Plaster doesn't dry so much as it cures. It gets warm as it dries. It will even harden under water.

Mine has hardened underwater. In fact, many times in the pool in my backyard.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 2:57:28 AM EST

Hmmm.

Eric The(OldTime)Hun

Maybe she was just...... "Lonely"......
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:17:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By ARH:

So is she hot?

ARH

She is a lesbian. Obvious penis-envy. Suffers from a castration fixation.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:34:12 AM EST
didn't do anything like that when I was in school......
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:39:54 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 3:40:32 AM EST by llanero]
Now, now boys. Intolerance breeds hate...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 3:43:04 AM EST
[Last Edit: 9/16/2004 3:46:32 AM EST by GodBlessTexas]

couldnt various viruses pass through the latex then?

Latex does have holes in it. My high school biology teacher explained to us that 10 AIDS virii stacked side by side could pass through the holes in latex without problem. Notice how a latex balloon will deflate over a period of days after being filled with air.

Plaster of paris cures by an exothermic chemical reaction. Air has nothing to do with it.

Remember the Alamo, and God Bless Texas...
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 4:03:08 AM EST

Tell her that pooper-sex with middle-aged gun-nuts is very avante guarde.

GunLvr
Top Top