Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2006 6:38:48 PM EDT
recieved a tax refund check... EVER ..

how do ya do it?

i have always paid.

sure im a little bit better off then most of my friends .,, but damn i wanna see a refund check one day.

sometimes i feel like makeing up deductions... but im too scared

i wanted to claim the surgery i didnt have that i paid out < again fake> of my own pocket cause doing that would give me a refund... < no i didnt do it... >

just so i can see a refund check one day..

what am i doing wrong.. ?

i claim 0 on the w4 or what ever form at work .
have two kids but am divorced so i dont claim them..

i am going to write a check for $740 this year..   havent done it yet..

just sucks that with all the taxsoftware out there you can "play with the numbers " and see a refund.. but "doing it right" you end up paying...

what really ticks me off is overhearing people talk about how they are going to spend thier 5000.00 tax return..  

like getting new "grills for thier teeth"

that was all... no real point to this post..
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:39:53 PM EDT
[#1]

got a mortgage payment?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
got a mortgage payment?

no.. i rent. < apt.. >

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
I always end up having to pay also. This year, around $2300
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:42:38 PM EDT
[#4]
A refund simply means you let the feds take too much of your money and now they are giving it back. Never let the feds have excess money.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:42:43 PM EDT
[#5]
your only option is to have them rape your paycheck more every week
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:42:57 PM EDT
[#6]
I guess you could always claim less, Like maybe 0. Seems like that would get you one...I think
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:44:02 PM EDT
[#7]
I have ALWAYS gotten a refund back.

Between state and federal, I am getting nearly $5,000 this year.

I am gonna buy a Barrett M99 with most of the money, would you like me to post pics when I pick it up, now that I have this thread tagged?
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:44:22 PM EDT
[#8]
make up a couple of names for your rifles and call them your children. I mean you do need to feed them, shelter them, and they do depend on you for all their needs. I would call them dependants
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:44:27 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
I guess you could always claim less, Like maybe 0. Seems like that would get you one...I think

i do that..

as far as letting them fuc... i mean paying out from my check a little more each yr..    how?

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:44:48 PM EDT
[#10]
I rent too and always get a refund.

The short answer is you aren't having enough (too much?) withheld from your paycheck. Increase your withholdings and you'll get a refund. But that'll mean less takehome pay per check.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:46:16 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I have ALWAYS gotten a refund back.

Between state and federal, I am getting nearly $5,000 this year.

I am gonna buy a Barrett M99 with most of the money, would you like me to post pics when I pick it up, now that I have this thread tagged?

screw you man....    thats just wrong...

you BETTER post pics
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:46:36 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
got a mortgage payment?

no.. i rent. < apt.. >

a lot of these bigger returns are a result of doing '0' (as you mentioned you already do) and then claiming the interest cost of the mortgage (resulting in a bigger return).

Business ownership expenses also result in a bigger return.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:14 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

The short answer is you aren't having enough (too much?) withheld from your paycheck. Increase your withholdings and you'll get a refund. But that'll mean less takehome pay per check.

i could spread out 740 a year and not feel it...    

so again how do i withhold just a little more...   i already claim 0.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:20 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:49 PM EDT
[#15]

It seems a lot of people need to improve their reading comprehension:
He already claims '0'
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:47:53 PM EDT
[#16]
Getting a refund is easy. Simply give the government way more than you owe for 12 months intrest free, and then file a form to get it back.

I always want to be a couple of hundred bucks either way.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:49:39 PM EDT
[#17]
Claim zero, plus have them take an extra $14.23 a week out.  You'll get a refund.  Happy?

Let me know you have done it so I can start calling you a moron for giving someone an interest-free loan.  You could have invested the $14.23 a week.  Oh well, you wanted a "refund".

I ALWAYS have to pay, which is exactly how I like it.  This year it's $4,600.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:49:40 PM EDT
[#18]
I do zero also
useally get a little bit back like maybe $500
got  sick and hit with med bills pretty hard  like 50% of my income this year got a good chunk back

you have any dentist or doctor bills if it is over like 7% of your pretax you can write those off
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:50:01 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Bump up your withholding a bit, donate your time or money to a good cause - the NRA's ILA gets $24 a month from me.

ILA contributions are not tax deductable. The NRA Foundation is.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:50:12 PM EDT
[#20]
You make too much money and don't have enough deductions. Change one or both and you'll get a refund.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:50:57 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

can i claim my failed widget sales company ?  i lost the company this yr in a boating accident...

do they really check?

what are the odds of on audit?< nope...  cant do that... come on.. who is gonna tell...  no must not do it.. must close taxsoftwar before its too late...>

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:53:24 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

i could spread out 740 a year and not feel it...    

so again how do i withhold just a little more...   i already claim 0.

Already claiming 0 and still not withholding enough. I'm guessing you're not selfemployed? I once worked for a mom and pop store who could not get my withholdings right. Claiming 0 I would owe the feds one year and the next get a refund (got to claim daughter every other year). But my state refund was just enough to cover what I owed the .feds. This may be the position you're in. Talk to your companies bookkeeper/payroll officer. Maybe they can do something more.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:54:14 PM EDT
[#23]
I got 3k back.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:56:06 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

can i claim my failed widget sales company ?  i lost the company this yr in a boating accident...

do they really check?

what are the odds of on audit?< nope...  cant do that... come on.. who is gonna tell...  no must not do it.. must close taxsoftwar before its too late...>

anything that shows a LEGITIMATE intent to produce a profit counts as a business (and therefore eligible for the numerous deductions )
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 6:56:19 PM EDT
[#25]
Try charitable donations and investing in tax deferred investments like IRAs and the like. Those can significantly reduce the ammount of your tax burden. I did my taxes tonight. 603 coming back from Federal, and 370 coming back from the state.

Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:01:43 PM EDT
[#26]
My refunds used to be right around 1000.
Then I bought a house.....
Then I started paying on student loans.....
Then my wife got a job where her milage/expenses were deductable (She travels)....

Holeeee shit......
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:05:22 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
Try charitable donations and investing in tax deferred investments like IRAs and the like. Those can significantly reduce the ammount of your tax burden. I did my taxes tonight. 603 coming back from Federal, and 370 coming back from the state.

Virginia is weird in the way it taxes.  Last year I had to pay the FED and got $188 back from VA.  I didn't like having to pay almost $2000, so I changed my W-4. This year I'm getting $2600 back from the Fed, but only $133 from VA.  How does that work? I had more itemized deductions and more medical bills this year which helped put me over the standard deduction.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:06:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Withholding tax is the biggest and best scam .gov ever came up with.  The gov keeps more than they are owed and you morons brag about "how I scammed .gov and get a big refund this year."  If everyone had to write a check every year, I have a feeling that the American public would turn their bitching about taxes into action.  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:06:44 PM EDT
[#29]
There is a line to fill out on your Tax form where you can pick ANY amount to have taken out of EVERY check. The feds hold it and it goes to pay anything you owe on taxes OR they give it back if you dont owe, or the remainder of the amount after you pay what is owed-

Have them take out 20 buck and you should get a return, as long as you dont owe more next year than you did this
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 7:07:54 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Virginia is weird in the way it taxes.  Last year I had to pay the FED and got $188 back from VA.  I didn't like having to pay almost $2000, so I changed my W-4. This year I'm getting $2600 back from the Fed, but only $133 from VA.  How does that work? I had more itemized deductions and more medical bills this year which helped put me over the standard deduction.

Asking how taxes work is like asking how evolution works, only there is less documentation of taxes....

I have no earthly idea why I am getting 370 back from Virginia, because usually I only get like 150 or 200 back. But I did give over 10 grand in charitable contributions this year, so that might have something to do with it.
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 8:24:40 PM EDT
[#31]
The tax code is indeed weird.  I will owe $200 total on $26K of taxable earnings (I was pretty sick in the first half of the year, unsuccessful finding a new job when I got well) --- and if it had all been wages instead of mostly self-employment, I'd have a $3000 refund.  $0 withheld last year...

Still, when I was fully employed, $85K/yr + $10K moonlighting (all reported on 1099-MISC to IRS, so I couldn't "hide" the extra income) I used 12 deductions on my W-4 to set withholding levels and and usually got over $1000 refund each year from both feds & OR.  I declare 2 kids on my joint return with my wife.

Go figure... The secret: spend most of your money on tax-deductible items and activities, and do it correctly according to the tax code --- don't lie about it, just do what it takes.  However, you may not want to, depending on your lifestyle choices...  
Link Posted: 2/10/2006 9:25:09 PM EDT
[#32]
I'm one of the unlucky ones also. I have to pay in again this year just like every year. I gotta do something different, I'm f86836 sick of it.  I'll call our accountant Monday for some advice.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top