Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/7/2001 8:34:23 PM EDT
Good evening gentlemen

I was accepted to the north west missouri police academy!!!! [:D]

Do you happen to have links for; equipment, supplies,training?

Any experience with the kevlar gloves in relation to hypodermic needles?

Looking forward to your responses

JR

Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:29:39 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 12/7/2001 9:41:19 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
To know Galls is to love Galls, a catalog or 20 can be found in any squad room and once you are on the list you will never go without a catalog or 4, most inefficient marketing in the world.
View Quote

[url]http://www.galls.com/index.jsp[/url]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 2:25:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

Any experience with the kevlar gloves in relation to hypodermic needles?

View Quote

I don't have any firsthand experience re: kevlar against needles.  But I do know that wearing spectra/kevlar lined gloves during a pat-down/search really inhibits your ability to find small objects.  You should learn at the academy how to perform a search and minimize needle exposure.  Looking in pockets before reaching in, things like that.  Good luck.

SeMPer Fi
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 6:00:28 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 7:41:52 AM EDT
[#5]
FWIW- listen to Striker on this. He is in corrections and in my experience- the CO's do a much better job at frisking than cops. They have real pros on the inside trying to hide stuff and geting the time to plan and try things out. As such, their job and safety depends much more on a real good pat down.

Actually- IMHO- the CO's usually have real good OC/mace equipment that really work well(live testing no doubt ;)     and they have very good riot and crown control plans and formations. My brother is in corections and his skills in these area are awesome.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 8:36:18 AM EDT
[#6]
EDITED by Doorgunner, due to useless content.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:24:14 AM EDT
[#7]
Pay no attention to Vampire. You'll get plenty of chances to deal with jackasses like that.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:31:36 AM EDT
[#8]
EDITED by Doorgunner due to useless content.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:41:03 AM EDT
[#9]
Vampire, give it a rest or I'll send a Case instead of the AR15.com CRKT.  
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:47:22 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Pay no attention to Vampire. You'll get plenty of chances to deal with jackasses like that.
View Quote

LOL..  a blue shirt w/ a tude...
View Quote

Thanks to the new forum this guy has a whole new reason to live.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:47:51 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You know who I am, and most everyone here knows where I work.  Nice to know you don't have the balls to do the same. Have a nice day.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:48:11 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Vampire, give it a rest or I'll send a Case instead of the AR15.com CRKT.  
View Quote

What is "a Case" and a "CRKT"?
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 9:49:44 AM EDT
[#13]
The knife.  Now, give it a rest.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:08:58 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
The knife.  Now, give it a rest.
View Quote

I have no clue what yer talking about...
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:10:03 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
View Quote

View Quote

You know who I am, and most everyone here knows where I work.  Nice to know you don't have the balls to do the same. Have a nice day.
View Quote

EDITED by Doorgunner due to useless content.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:17:06 AM EDT
[#16]
OK, Vampire.  You've been asked to knock this shit off and seem to believe that you don't have to. You've been Locked up.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 10:40:22 AM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 11:19:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:22:22 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
I thought you could only do searches once the individual was actually taken into custody. If the person was not in custody any small objects if found (drugs) then it would not be admissible into evidence. Just curios.
View Quote

You can search with consent, probable cause, incident to a lawfull arrest, ect.

None of which means you necesarily have to handcuff and take the person to jail. When I cite and release someone in the field for a misdemeanor, technically they are under "arrest" and I will do a thorough search of them most of the time.

Link Posted: 12/8/2001 1:41:10 PM EDT
[#20]
Thanks for the responses guys.

Excellent point jorge regarding search techniques. Of course I would not jam my hands into the pockets, just merely looking for additional protection.

Striker; the Hatch gloves were my first choice. Thank you for the tip regarding a smaller size.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 2:07:41 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Just to break off the fine discussion that has been going, but I have a question. I thought when doing a pat down you were only suppose to be checking for things that could be used as weapons? As in executing a Terry stop. I thought you could only do searches once the individual was actually taken into custody. If the person was not in custody any small objects if found (drugs) then it would not be admissible into evidence. Just curios.
View Quote

You've heard of plain view? Well, there is a concept that is accepted commonly called "plain feel". If while conducting a legal pat down for weapons (Terry stop) an officer comes across an object that he immediately recognizes by feel to be contra-band he can go further, say into pockets and what is found is admissible. It's all in the paper work and testimony. You must articulate that you recognized the object that you felt and by feel alone. No manipulating the object through clothing to make sure it is what you think it is. Now you have an arrestable offense and search incident to arrest takes over.
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 3:49:47 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 12/8/2001 3:57:59 PM EDT
[#23]
Searching with gloves is for people who don't know any better. You are very likely to miss something. I don't use them. When arguing a "plain feel" arrest in court your best bet is to attack the officers experience and training. How did he recognize the object, how could he be sure it wasn't' something else, give examples. Creating reasonable doubt in the minds of the jurors is the key to a good defense strategy.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 7:29:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 2:59:32 PM EDT
[#25]
latex gloves are my personal favorite.  Cant feel anything through leather.  Like the idea of having a barrier between my hands and some of the disease ridden ppl I encounter on a daily basis.  I also wash my hands ALOT.
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 3:38:17 PM EDT
[#26]
Link Posted: 12/9/2001 4:24:49 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Just to break off the fine discussion that has been going, but I have a question. I thought when doing a pat down you were only suppose to be checking for things that could be used as weapons? As in executing a Terry stop. I thought you could only do searches once the individual was actually taken into custody. If the person was not in custody any small objects if found (drugs) then it would not be admissible into evidence. Just curios.
View Quote

You also have to consider search incident to arrest. Where you'd be doing (hopefully) a very thorough search. You should also consider searching a prisoner when you recieve him from another agency or from another officer on the street. We always (usually [:p]) seacrh every time the prisoner is handed off. I had a corrections background and that paid off when I went to county and etc etc,. Keep some hand sanitizer in your car or bag and use it often, especially when you can't get to the sink to wash. Latex gloves are also a must. You will be surprised what these mopes have.

Congrats on the academy appointment!!
1*
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:29:10 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
Keep some hand sanitizer in your car or bag and use it often, especially when you can't get to the sink to wash. Latex gloves are also a must. You will be surprised what these mopes have.

Congrats on the academy appointment!!
1*
View Quote

Excellent advice, nothing beats a good hand sanitizer AKA "Skell Gel" when you can't get to  soap and water right away!
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:41:23 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 8:50:20 AM EDT
[#30]
IN my opinion, the nitrile gloves give better dexterity than latex and are certainly more puncture resistant..

Some hints when trying to get gloves stocked in your squad car...

#1 - latex allergies are common... mention you may be developing one and suggest either powder free latex gloves (powder free are generally the better quality) or nitrile as an alternative

#2 - the gloves can do double duty.  Depending on the administration's bent, you could call them "fingerprinting gloves", "EMS gloves", "Search gloves"...whatever, just get em in the cars.

I always try to chuck a box out of the ambulance into any open squad car trunk, if I know the unit is not equipped with them... I simply cannot understand the metality that leaves folks without proper protection...

stay safe and well

Link Posted: 12/10/2001 2:50:38 PM EDT
[#31]
vegasAR,
Kevlar lined gloves might prevent a slicing attack from an edged weapon, and that's a big MIGHT, but I don't believe they would be any protection from a hypodermic needle puncture. The best rule of thumb is to never stick your hand in an area (such as underneath a car seat) without looking first.

Good luck in your new profession.
Be safe,
Mike
Link Posted: 12/10/2001 7:03:52 PM EDT
[#32]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top