Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/5/2005 7:49:49 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 11:05:57 AM EDT by pathfinder74]
Ok, I have a tape deck in my car so I can' always run the tape thing like a CD player uses, but my wifes car only has a CD player (which is a POS, but that's another story).

So the first question is, how can you play the Ipod through a CD only car stereo?

Next question: Do they make after-market car stereos that have either an outlet to plug in an iPod, a docking bay to plug your iPod directly into the stereo, or some other way to feed the music on your iPod through the car stereo?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:52:21 AM EDT
They have head units that can interface with the iPod. I want one.

For now I use an FM transmitter that I plug into the iPod. I set it to a station with more-or-less dead air. I set the truck radio to that station and it plays through my radio.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:55:08 AM EDT

Originally Posted By IAMLEGEND:

For now I use an FM transmitter that I plug into the iPod. I set it to a station with more-or-less dead air. I set the truck radio to that station and it plays through my radio.

This is what I do.
I am going to order the thing I need to plug it in and run directly through my radio.

I will post pics in this thread, if I can find it, when I have it installed.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 7:56:27 AM EDT
+1 on IMLEGEND...

Just get one that is infinitely adjustable on the frequency band... I live in an area with a lot of radio stations and the presets on the transmitter I had were not adequate. I wound up with a tape adaptor... But my wife has an infinitely adjustable one and likes it. There is a little static and bleed-through but not enough to wig about.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:11:05 AM EDT
+1 on the iTrip
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:11:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By macman37:
... I live in an area with a lot of radio stations and the presets on the transmitter I had were not adequate. I wound up with a tape adaptor... But my wife has an infinitely adjustable one and likes it. There is a little static and bleed-through but not enough to wig about.

I tried the digital transmitter that has ALL the stations, but I think literally ALL of the stations here in Dallas are taken. I ended up trying about 4 different FM transmitters, and they all sucked ass equally.

I, too, am looking for some way to hard wire it to the stereo, but haven't found anything yet.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:12:29 AM EDT
Found a couple links. Not sure this is really what I was thinking of but it looks somewhere in the ball park.

ipodmycar.com/

ipodyourcar

ipodincar.net/

Is this what you meant by the head unit interface?
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:12:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 8:13:29 AM EDT by IAMLEGEND]
On hardwiring, I'm going to go out to my truck and see if the RCA out from my iPod will go to the inputs on my amp. That might work.

Otherwise you would need an Alpine head unit that interfaces w/ the iPod.
here

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:13:26 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 8:56:07 AM EDT by PBIR]
I run monster cable's fm modulator (get it at radio shack). You can preset it for any 3 fm stations and it charges the ipod's battery as you use it. I thought it was the better solution than a new head unit b/c I can use it any car.

Monster iCarPlay

And get one of these to hook it up to home stereos - I use the $7 one and it works great.

Y - adapter
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:16:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By pathfinder74:
Found a couple links. Not sure this is really what I was thinking of but it looks somewhere in the ball park.

ipodmycar.com/

ipodyourcar

ipodincar.net/

Is this what you meant by the head unit interface?

Yeah, that's part of it. AFAIK you need a head unit (deck) that will interpret the iPod data so it will read out the track name etc and let you select tracks etc w/o touching the iPod.

here

"The CDA-9851 is a SwingFace head unit with a wide range of sound personalization functions from Alpine's signature Bass Engine controls. In addition to playing all CD's, MP3 and WMA discs, now you can drive your iPod. Just hook up the KCA-420i iPod interface adaptor, plug in your iPod, and you're ready to go. Plus it's Versatile-Link Ready so you've got the option of connecting a video game console, VCR, or other source, This unit is OEM Steering Remote Ready so you can still control your head unit conveniently from your steering wheel. (3rd party adaptor required). "

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:18:16 AM EDT
Get an ITrip. Works great. You can set it to whatever frequency you want and play your ipod through your fm radio.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:21:02 AM EDT

I have an Alpine with the required interface. While the flexibility absolutely ROCKS, the actual navigation method through the head unit SUCKS.

I hope they come out with a better method.

Still sounds great, though!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:21:30 AM EDT
Here's what I use, it is really awesome and reliable.

Outpost Link

It's a little spendy but it really works well.

-Fidel

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:22:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

I have an Alpine with the required interface. While the flexibility absolutely ROCKS, the actual navigation method through the head unit SUCKS.

I hope they come out with a better method.

Still sounds great, though!

That's too bad. I guess there's always playlists but it'd be nice to fly through ones music library picking whatever came to mind with ease.

Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:30:57 AM EDT
shit just do what i did and get a nissan titan. it has a 1/8 jack in the fron and I just plug it in and hit aux. works perfect
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:34:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 8:37:26 AM EDT by Jon_C_]
Anything wired will sound better than the wireless FM modulators, but depending on the area FM modulators can be good enough.

I live in miami, just got a new car and have been using the built in wireless FM modulator to listen to my Sirius unit. I have one station that works well around my house, and as I drive toward work I have to change to a second station to make it tolerable. This is just temporary until I get either a new headunit or an aux in for my Ford factory radio.

There are hard wired FM modulators that work very well if you don't want to change your radio, and don't have any clear stations.

Many, many aftermarket decks have an aux input, and a few have them up front. Browse around Crutchfield to get an idea, then shop around for a good price.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:43:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 8:54:01 AM EDT by hound]
I use the I-trip in Dallas and so far I have hit only one local radio station on my frequency...I say go back to the website and look for an emptry Freq.
Computer city is sellung hardwired add on for the Ipod. You wire them in behind the radio.
I saved an apartment pool party on Friday night with My I-pod and my Kloss I-Pal

http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore?productLearnMore=T9772LL/A

NEW TOY

http://www.xtrememac.com/adapters/airplay.shtml

This Fm adaptors tunes right on the unit so you do not need the ITRIP playlists........going to go get one NOW.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 8:58:03 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 8:58:12 AM EDT by PBIR]

NEW TOY

http://www.xtrememac.com/adapters/airplay.shtml

This Fm adaptors tunes right on the unit so you do not need the ITRIP playlists........going to go get one NOW.

Dude, get the Monster iCarPlay instead. All the same benefits + it recharges your iPod instead of using it up.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:53:17 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 9:59:58 AM EDT by pathfinder74]

Originally Posted By hound:
Computer city is sellung hardwired add on for the Ipod. You wire them in behind the radio.
I saved an apartment pool party on Friday night with My I-pod and my Kloss I-Pal

So when you hardwire the FM modulator it's more like adding a deicated station as soon as you turn on the unit wired in, right? I used to have a JVC 10 disc CD changer that was wired into the radio like this. IIRC it never got crossover from other radio stations that way.

With the FM modulators (particularly those not hardwired) do you just use the iPod itself to select the music? Almost like a wired remote control?

I don't like the idea of running the controls for the iPod into a head unit. Once I learn a device's controls I can usually just hold it and run through stuff without even looking. With a head unit you have to reach over and they always overload those things with buttons. The appeal of the iPod for me is the simplicity of the controls.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 9:56:52 AM EDT

With the FM modulators (particularly those no hardwired) do you just use the iPod itself to select the music? Almost like a wired remote control?

Yes. With the iCarPlay I have and the other modulators I have seen you use the iPod like you would if you were running it through headphones.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 10:13:15 AM EDT

So when you hardwire the FM modulator it's more like adding a deicated station as soon as you turn on the unit wired in, right? I used to have a JVC 10 disc CD changer that was wired into the radio like this. IIRC it never got crossover from other radio stations that way.

Correct, wired is better than wireless because you won't any interference from other stations, it cuts them out.

With the FM modulators (particularly those not hardwired) do you just use the iPod itself to select the music? Almost like a wired remote control?

Exactly, the modulator is acting as a radiostation for the Ipod, that is why you can get static if there's another broadcast on the same station.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:02:50 PM EDT
I use the AUX input on my older Alpine head unit with the wire run under the carpet and into my center console. I than use a Sik IMP which both charges and pulls a line level signal from the iPod. This allows you to bypass the headphone amp and volume control of the iPod.

You could use this in combination with a WIRED FM Modulator on a stock stereo system with great results as well.

I also use an RF remote control for the iPod to allow me to fast forward tracks without having to open my center console. The remote just clips to your steering wheel with Velcro.
Griffin AirClick

This way the iPod is never visible for some asshole to steal.

I had the Monster FM transmitter and hated it. I happily smashed it when my new system was put in.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:08:23 PM EDT

Originally Posted By PBIR:
I run monster cable's fm modulator (get it at radio shack). You can preset it for any 3 fm stations and it charges the ipod's battery as you use it. I thought it was the better solution than a new head unit b/c I can use it any car.

webpages.charter.net/d3digital/ipod.jpg

Monster iCarPlay

And get one of these to hook it up to home stereos - I use the $7 one and it works great.

Y - adapter

That is the exact one I use now. It sucks ass in Dallas.
I cannot use my ipod in DFW.
I also have an Itrip.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:20:48 PM EDT

That's too bad. I guess there's always playlists but it'd be nice to fly through ones music library picking whatever came to mind with ease.

Best way to do it is to unplug the iPod, dial in the song you want, press PLAY, then plug it back in. Bingo.

Easy solution to a lousy design. If they'd linked the knob on the head unit to mimic the dial on the iPod, this would be OH so simple, but whoever did the design work on this generation of Alpines deserves to be summarily and publicly fired.

Another glitch: You set the mix mode to "all" (assuming the fucking control doesn't crap out, requiring you to reset the head unit), and listen away. Thing is, if you turn off the stereo, it goes back to sequential playing when you turn it back on. STUPID!

The only reason(s) I didn't replace it is because a) I had already installed it, b) I had also installed the satellite radio package and the iPod package, and c) I had already thrown out all the boxes. It sounds great, but the controls SUCK!

Don't even get me started on adjusting the equalizer!
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 1:33:13 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:19:11 PM EDT
Pbir...I already have the monster charger plugged in the bottom.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 2:21:37 PM EDT
Some aftermarket units have an aux in. Mine does, and uses a standard RCA connector. It won't control any external units, but you can play audio through it. I have a portable minidisc player that I tried, but since the unit doesn't have a preamp out, it sounded like ass.

I haven't looked, but there may actually be some head units out there that might actually interface with an Ipod or other device and control it. At least some OEMs are doing that in their vehicles now.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 4:05:33 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/5/2005 4:07:48 PM EDT by PBIR]

Originally Posted By hound:
Pbir...I already have the monster charger plugged in the bottom.

It's not just a charger, it's an FM modulator that allows you to choose any FM station. I can't find anything the airplay does that the iCarPlay can't except drain your iPod battery
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 10:35:31 AM EDT
pbir...you ar emissing the point I need a unit that will plug into the top of the Ipod and work while I am not in the car. For example the pool party last weekend. I don't need the charger and the FM xmitter in one unit.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 1:55:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 1:55:58 PM EDT by PBIR]
ah, I see. I just keep a Y-adapter in my pack, better signal than a modulator.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 2:18:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 2:22:04 PM EDT by EladEflow]

Originally Posted By jake1978:

Originally Posted By macman37:
... I live in an area with a lot of radio stations and the presets on the transmitter I had were not adequate. I wound up with a tape adaptor... But my wife has an infinitely adjustable one and likes it. There is a little static and bleed-through but not enough to wig about.

I tried the digital transmitter that has ALL the stations, but I think literally ALL of the stations here in Dallas are taken. I ended up trying about 4 different FM transmitters, and they all sucked ass equally.

I, too, am looking for some way to hard wire it to the stereo, but haven't found anything yet.

You can get Receivers/Head units with auxiliary ins, then just get a mini-phone or whatever it's called to RCA (Red and white jacks), and you're good.
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:30:46 PM EDT

Originally Posted By EladEflow:
You can get Receivers/Head units with auxiliary ins, then just get a mini-phone or whatever it's called to RCA (Red and white jacks), and you're good.

Does the iPod have RCA outs right on it?
Link Posted: 10/6/2005 3:44:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/6/2005 3:45:15 PM EDT by gus]

Originally Posted By EladEflow:

Does the iPod have RCA outs right on it?

No, but you can get a Y-cable that has a stereo 1/8" plug on one end and two male RCA's on the other. The output of the iPod is impedance sensitive - if it is connected to a low impedance load such as speakers or headphones it will supply the current required, but when plugged into a high impedence input of some other device such as an amp it will not over drive it because the voltage is still low (and now the current is too). I believe the technical term is voltage source (don't quote me on that though). I connect mine into Aux inputs on my car stereo and I have to set the iPod's volume almost all the way up, so it's not going to over drive your input..

I also use it in my company vehicle, using the Monster iCarplay modulator/charger. It also works great, and I can't hear the slight loss of sound quality because the truck just has a crappy factory radio in it.
Top Top