Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 2/17/2006 4:58:58 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 5:01:06 PM EDT by slash-5]
So... Can you or can't you legally download CD's you OWN onto your own iPod?

And from our San Francisco neighbors, the Electronic Frontier Foundation says that apparently the RIAA doesn't think that ripping to an iPod is legal:

As part of the on-going DMCA rule-making proceedings, the RIAA and other copyright industry associations submitted a filing that included this gem as part of their argument that space-shifting and format-shifting do not count as noninfringing uses, even when you are talking about making copies of your own CDs:

"Nor does the fact that permission to make a copy in particular circumstances is often or even routinely granted, necessarily establish that the copying is a fair use when the copyright owner withholds that authorization. In this regard, the statement attributed to counsel for copyright owners in the MGM v. Grokster case is simply a statement about authorization, not about fair use."

For those who may not remember, here's what Don Verrilli said to the Supreme Court last year:

"The record companies, my clients, have said, for some time now, and it's been on their website for some time now, that it's perfectly lawful to take a CD that you've purchased, upload it onto your computer, put it onto your iPod."

www.macuser.com/legal/riaa_says_ripping_cds_to_your.php

First they say you can. then they say you can't. Then they quote themselves saying you can?

Did an ex-agent from the ATF start these guys or what?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:07:52 PM EDT
Frankly, I don't give a flying fuck what they think.

If I bought the CD, I'll bloody well put it on my iPod. If I bought the track online (legally or not), then I'll put it on my iPod.

They can lick my scrotum. Besides, they just turn that money against me anyway, so screw 'em.

Bunch of whining little fucks who spend their lives pontificating about how it's not about money, but all about their "art", right up to the point where they start making less than their accustomed rediculous rates.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:12:08 PM EDT
YOu can put your CD's on it, but if you sell the iPod, you HAVE to delete all the music on it.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:13:51 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:14:51 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Hydguy:
YOu can put your CD's on it, but if you sell the iPod, you HAVE to delete all the music on it.

that could be the point of confusion. IT's legal as long as it's your own copy for your own personal use.

Once you sell it with the ipod, you have a copy (your original cd) and the new owner has a copy - which is a violation of copyright laws.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:15:14 PM EDT

Even if you don't, all the music will be wiped when you first plug it into iTunes.

Unless, of course, you first use something like Senuti to download the iPod!

I actually had to do that once when my computer died and my only copy of my music was my iPod.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:15:19 PM EDT
OK, I think I get it now. This is in regard to those guys that were filling up iPods with 1000's of songs and then selling them on E-Bay...
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:17:17 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 5:17:52 PM EDT by ScaryGuy]
The RIAA and can kiss my ass right on the hole, suck out the shit, swish it in their mouth and spit peanuts.

SG
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:19:15 PM EDT
In other news, nothing good has come out of the recording industry in years
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:22:12 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ScaryGuy:
The RIAA and can kiss my ass right on the hole, suck out the shit, swish it in their mouth and spit peanuts.

SG

Dude.....
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:22:25 PM EDT

So am I allowed to sell a CD after I've listened to it?
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:24:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By mcantu:

yes.

but If you sell the cd, you need to get rid of any copies (cassette, cd's, mp3's) that you made of that CD.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:24:31 PM EDT

Not allowed to listen to it. You're only allowed to worship the "artist" and thank the RIAA for the priveledge of having their CD in your squalid little home.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:25:38 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Originally Posted By ScaryGuy:

SG

Dude.....

Yes?

SG
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 5:27:40 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Zaphod:

Not allowed to listen to it. You're only allowed to worship the "artist" and thank the RIAA for the priveledge of having their CD in your squalid little home.

What if it's not a Prince CD?
Top Top