Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/12/2011 4:49:25 PM EDT
So i finally gave in and jailbroke my 3GS. Running iOS 4.1

I'm looking for internet tethering (use iphone's 3G internet on the laptop)
Ive looked around for a how-to guide on how to do it, also have messed with a couple of apps I found... no luck.

Wondering if anyone here can point me in the right direction.

Thanks
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:54:47 PM EDT
[#1]
You want mywi.
Do a search on YouTube for the cracked version and what repo to go to.  Or, find it in Cydia pay the author $20 for it.
It's worth he $20.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:55:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Go to cydia and search for " enable tethering on 3gs". That should be it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:57:09 PM EDT
[#3]
You can use PDA net but I highly recommend buying the MYWI app from Cydia for 19.99.

It turns your phone into a mobile 'hotspot'.

In fact I am surfing on my IP4 now, streaming netflix to my TV (via another laptop connected with a HDMI cable)  through the phone.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 4:58:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Try the MyWi trial.

If you like it, buy it. Support the developer, don't download a cracked version.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:01:45 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
You want mywi.
Do a search on YouTube for the cracked version and what repo to go to.  Or, find it in Cydia pay the author $20 for it.
It's worth he $20.

I got mine from www.sinfuliphonerepo.com for free. I usually just use the USB tethering.  Mywi drains the battery
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:03:17 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have to jailbreak your phone to use mywi?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:04:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

yes
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:05:19 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:05:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Just go to settings>wireless networks and check the little box that says "wireless hotspot". It's built into the Android OS silly. Wait, just reread and you said I.....err, nevermind.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:05:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

Yes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:08:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Just go to settings>wireless networks and check the little box that says "wireless hotspot". It's built into the Android OS silly. Wait, just reread and you said I.....err, nevermind.

Is that an extra fee or included in your data package?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:19:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Does MYWI do USB tethering too? Or do i need to find another app for that.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:22:44 PM EDT
[#13]
it does it all
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:24:56 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

it does this also
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:25:18 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

It does wifi, usb, and bluetooth.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:25:32 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's usually disabled by the company that you bought it from, but there are workarounds, since they just remove it from the menu, not the phone itself.  So 3rd party software that allows you to change settings (I use Quicksettings) will turn it on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:

To your provider it just looks like you're using Data on your phone.

It's just a setting they disable 'cause they want to earn money from it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:34:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Another +1 for MyWi!  I use it almost daily.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:46:45 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah ok. So it's like Apple. Internet tethering is on the phone it just takes the jailbreak to enable it. I use that method more than MyWi

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:48:07 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

You want mywi.

It's worth he $20.
It absolutely is, the must functional addition to an iphone ever...do it

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 5:48:55 PM EDT
[#21]
I used iPhoneModem, and the full version was like 10 bucks.

It didn't do USB, or Blue Tooth though...

Take everyone else's advice, MyWi sounds leaps and bounds better.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:00:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
I used iPhoneModem, and the full version was like 10 bucks.

It didn't do USB, or Blue Tooth though...

Take everyone else's advice, MyWi sounds leaps and bounds better.

Thats the one I tried earlier.

It fucked up my laptop so that I could only connect to the internet through the phone. The normal laptop wifi stopped working.
Had to do a system restore to get it working right.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:05:27 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

yes

i dont know your reasons for not jailbreaking, but it isn't hard and the benefits are many.  you may have some good reasons not to, not flaming.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:07:30 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ah ok. So it's like Apple. Internet tethering is on the phone it just takes the jailbreak to enable it. I use that method more than MyWi

no, its on the phone and you have to call AT&T and change your data plan to enable it.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:18:22 PM EDT
[#25]
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:25:45 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
What happens if you jailbreak it?  Does the phone function normally except for stuff that you use outside the "approved" Apple system?  IOW, is it business as usual until you need to use it as a wifi spot, for instance?  Or are all the functions of the phone altered by jailbreaking it?

Everything works as normal with additional functionality.  You can still purchase and sync songs from iTunes (both on your pc and directly to the phone) all "default" apps are the same, etc.

Worse scenario?  You return your phone to default by restoring the backup in iTunes.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:29:35 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
What happens if you jailbreak it?  Does the phone function normally except for stuff that you use outside the "approved" Apple system?  IOW, is it business as usual until you need to use it as a wifi spot, for instance?  Or are all the functions of the phone altered by jailbreaking it?

all jailbreaking does is allow you to use stuff outside the approved apple system. a lot of it is aesthetic. others, like mywi, have great functionality. All the regular apple stuff works just fine. This is my current home screen, running a Tron theme, with a bunch of blank icons created by iblank, and running 5 icon dock, 5 column, 5 icon switcher, infinifolders (as many items in a folder as you wish)

This is my lockscreen, running lockinfo. gives me weather, calendar, any texts i haven't read yet..

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:30:21 PM EDT
[#28]
It really pays off when you have the old 'true unlimited' plan ATT used to offer.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 6:31:20 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Everything works as normal with additional functionality.  You can still purchase and sync songs from iTunes (both on your pc and directly to the phone) all "default" apps are the same, etc.

Worse scenario?  You return your phone to default by restoring the backup in iTunes.

that is correct, however some jailbroken apps can slow your phone down and cause you to have to reboot more often.  as the iphone gets better (3G to 3GS to iP4) that is less of an issue, the phones have more RAM to work with.  Also certain apps can drain the battery quicker.  

as far as I am concerned, it is worth it.

BiteSMS, MYWI, SBS settings, and lockinfo are must haves for me.

Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:06:45 PM EDT
[#30]
does jail breaking void your warranty?
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:09:04 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

There was a court case recently concerning this. I believe the answer is no.
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:09:40 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
You want mywi.
It's worth he $20.

Hell yeah it is!

I use it with my iPhone 4 as a wireless router for my laptop, netbook and iPad... well worth $20!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:13:42 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:

all jailbreaking does is allow you to use stuff outside the approved apple system. a lot of it is aesthetic. others, like mywi, have great functionality. All the regular apple stuff works just fine. This is my current home screen, running a Tron theme, with a bunch of blank icons created by iblank, and running 5 icon dock, 5 column, 5 icon switcher, infinifolders (as many items in a folder as you wish)

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s34/shiky22/2cc9b9d2.jpg

This is my lockscreen, running lockinfo. gives me weather, calendar, any texts i haven't read yet..

http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s34/shiky22/21dba2a6.jpg

I really like that theme... night have to give it a try!
Link Posted: 3/12/2011 7:20:00 PM EDT
[#34]
Hmmmm
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:31:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:

There was a court case recently concerning this. I believe the answer is no.

I thought that just decided they couldn't sue you for jailbreaking or something?  I think they still have the right to void the warranty, like if you put a turbo on your brand new car.

ETA, hah, I guess that's what I get for posting to a thread linked to from a current thread... revive a week old thread.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top