Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 8:58:26 AM EDT

i received a substantial raise this year. more than double what most of the employees would consider exceptional or even attainable. i'm not exactly sure how it came about, but the signed letter arrived. nothing else has been said to me nor have i received any particular indication that anything out of the ordinary was coming.

is this something that should be acknowledged in any way? what would you suggest? i guess im concerned with appearing as if i don't appreciate it - when i very much do. and i'm also pretty sure someone significant had to make a case for me...and i THINK i know who it would be. but at the same time, i don't want to make a big deal out of it either if it's really not.

what do you think?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:00:09 AM EDT
[#1]
What do I think? I think I'd like to trade you my set of life's problems for yours
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:00:31 AM EDT
[#2]
hookers and blow....

they'll get the message
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:01:52 AM EDT
[#3]
I would just informally say "thank you" to your boss for the raise.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:06:38 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

yeah, I agree.

Just sit down with him when you get a minute and say "Thanks, I appreciated the raise".
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:09:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I don't know that I would acknowledge it at all.  If you go and thank your boss, who maybe had nothing to do with it, and he digs around to find out now you make more than him...

See where I'm going with this?  I don't talk pay with anyone at my workplace, unless it's directly to the people "giving" me the money.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I don't know that I would acknowledge it at all.  If you go and thank your boss, who maybe had nothing to do with it, and he digs around to find out now you make more than him...

See where I'm going with this?  I don't talk pay with anyone at my workplace, unless it's directly to the people "giving" me the money.

I guess it depends a lot on the work situation. I am used to companies where there is a standard "cost of living" raise across the board (or no raise at all in a bad year) plus a pool of money available to each manager/director/VP for merit raises that they can allocate as they see fit.

In this case I assumed that everyone got the standard raise and that the OP for an additional merit raise that he must have been chosen for by someone that has direct experience of his job performance.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:16:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Show your appreciation by (continuing to) doing a great job.  They're paying you, so earn it.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:19:54 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, I agree.

Just sit down with him when you get a minute and say "Thanks, I appreciated the raise".

Boss: "Raise!? What raise?"

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:22:05 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
Show your appreciation by (continuing to) doing a great job.  They're paying you, so earn it.

+1.  Congratulations!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:23:00 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just get the boss an anonymous stripper-gram.  He'll either put two and two together, or he won't.  Either way, you will have discharged your obligation.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:23:55 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Yup
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:24:43 AM EDT
[#12]
A simple thank-you note to your supervisor would suffice.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
i received a substantial raise this year. more than double what most of the employees would consider exceptional or even attainable. i'm not exactly sure how it came about, but the signed letter arrived. nothing else has been said to me nor have i received any particular indication that anything out of the ordinary was coming.

is this something that should be acknowledged in any way? what would you suggest? i guess im concerned with appearing as if i don't appreciate it - when i very much do. and i'm also pretty sure someone significant had to make a case for me...and i THINK i know who it would be. but at the same time, i don't want to make a big deal out of it either if it's really not.

what do you think?

Depends...........just in general, what type of position do you hold .............Executive, Admin, Production, Sales............................??

5sub
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:28:15 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Yup
+1
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:29:25 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Yup.

A large increase typically means one of two things.  You are being brought in line with others because you were underpaid, or you are valuable, and they are trying to insure that you don't leave.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:30:57 AM EDT
[#16]
Handjob.

Sorry, but that is the tradition for a large raise. Now you understand why I am not pissed that I keep getting piddly 3% raises.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:31:05 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

A large increase typically means one of two things.  You are being brought in line with others because you were underpaid, or you are valuable, and they are trying to insure that you don't leave.

Good points.

5sub
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:33:24 AM EDT
[#18]
Continue working hard.

Also bring in doughnuts, ice cream bars, pizzas, etc. if that is something that happens in your office. No one needs to know WHY you brought them in, but the person who knows will know why.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:34:23 AM EDT
[#20]
Tell the person that you appreciate it and it means alot to you and shake his hands.

Thats what I did. It worked, he got the idea. He was appreciative of my gesture.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:36:12 AM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:37:14 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

what do you think?

Depends...........just in general, what type of position do you hold .............Executive, Admin, Production, Sales............................??

5sub

I will respond without your answer as it is really not needed.

but the signed letter arrived.

A signed letter is a pretty formal way of notifying a person of a raise these days.  You should respond in kind..........with a signed letter to the person who signed your letter.  Copy only those people he/she copied if anyone.

Keep your letter brief.

5sub
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:39:10 AM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, I agree.

That would be my fear but I'd say thank you.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:46:35 AM EDT
[#24]
It must have been Obama who was behind the whole thing.   Anything good that happens these days seems to be tied to him.   No Thanks needed, just keep paying the higher taxes.

Disclaimer: Just an observation, Obama may not have had anything to do with this.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:21:17 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:
Continue working hard.

Also bring in doughnuts, ice cream bars, pizzas, etc. if that is something that happens in your office. No one needs to know WHY you brought them in, but the person who knows will know why.

Do NOT red-flag this - especially to your co-workers!!! Bad, bad idea.

Acknowledge it to the boss only if he/she does first.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 10:28:11 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
hookers and blow....

they'll get the message

can you get that in a gift basket??
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:02:32 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

yeah, I agree.

That would be my fear but I'd say thank you.

Well, just a second there, professor. We, uh, we fixed the *glitch*. So he won't be receiving a paycheck anymore, so it'll just work itself out naturally.

j/j
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top