Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/29/2005 1:37:13 PM EDT
I've been seeing this a lot lately. When in an argument, at some point someone will start quoting the names of logic fallacies, such as ad hominem, straw man, etc. For example:

Lib: We should ban guns because that will stop crime.
Me: You are ignorant if you think banning guns will cause all guns to instantly dissappear. Besides, criminals will still break the law, getting guns illegally or using other weapons.
Lib: Ah ha! That's an ad hominem attack! Your argument is therefore automatically null and void, and by default, my position is automatically correct.
Me:

Someone who is good at rhetoric will use logic in different ways to make their point or break the other person's point. Quoting logic rules usually means that they just learned about them from a website or in english class, and have a rhetoric hardon that they are just itching to use. It also shows that their argument has no real substance, besides, quoting logic fallicies is in itself a straw man attack.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
True. Only a liberal could see the truth as an ad hominem attack.

On a sadder note, I see liberal debate tactics being employed more and more here on Arfcom.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
True. How often does the truth become an ad hominem attack?

On a sadder note, I see liberal debate tactics being employed more and more here on Arfcom.

Yeah, it's not necessarily a trait of liberal argumenting tactics, just that of immature rhetoric skills.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:42:43 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

You are WRONG and I am calling the MODS right now to lock this thread!!!
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:43:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Generally when the libs start yelling you know you have one.  
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:45:25 PM EDT
[#5]
You know you've won, when;

- they resort to uninteligable ramblings
- they give in to name calling
- they become violent if you don't "agree to disagree"
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:46:45 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Generally when the libs start yelling you know you have one.  

I saw that in action last night when we had a conservative guest speaker here at UTSA, haha.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 1:47:33 PM EDT
[#7]
More like when MadMax or whoever he was was proven wrong when I gave a bunch of links proving Mike Brown had roomed with the previous director of FEMA.  He went off on some tangent about how it's impossible to prove a negative.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:29:47 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've been seeing this a lot lately. When in an argument, at some point someone will start quoting the names of logic fallacies, such as ad hominem, straw man, etc. For example:

Lib: We should ban guns because that will stop crime.
Me: You are ignorant if you think banning guns will cause all guns to instantly dissappear. Besides, criminals will still break the law, getting guns illegally or using other weapons.
Lib: Ah ha! That's an ad hominem attack! Your argument is therefore automatically null and void, and by default, my position is automatically correct.
Me: hr

How does that apply as an ad hominem attack?

You may have called him ignorant but "Besides, criminals will still break the law, getting guns illegally or using other weapons." is not a personal attack.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:34:30 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
You know you've won, when;

- they resort to uninteligable ramblings
- they give in to name calling
- they become violent if you don't "agree to disagree"

I used to get that all the time from them. Now I just laugh, point, and walk away.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:48:38 PM EDT
[#10]
When they start interupting you, that's when you know you've won.

Scott

Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:51:13 PM EDT
[#11]
When they open their mouths... they've lost.

When you open yours... you've won.

Dumocraps simply are INCAPABLE of having a factual debate.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:56:44 PM EDT
[#12]
Their eyes rollup in their head and they malfunction intellectually, meaning it looks like conscious brain death!!

Or they abort the discussion ahead of time by changing the discussion topic or tell you they have to get going somewhere!!

I can't figure LIBERALS out they come to a discussion with total fiction or no facts at all and when confronted with real life knowledge or facts they dismiss it because they wish what they believe is true so much that they can't see reality.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 2:58:13 PM EDT
[#13]
Their eyes rollup in their head and they malfunction intellectually, meaning it looks like conscious brain death!!

Or they abort the discussion ahead of time by changing the discussion topic or tell you they have to get going somewhere!!

I can't figure LIBERALS out they come to a discussion with total fiction or no facts at all and when confronted with real life knowledge or facts they dismiss it because they wish what they believe is true so much that they can't see reality.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:03:07 PM EDT
[#14]
Quite salsilarious of you to notice that but making espinarial points does not a hominem make, add or subtract.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:10:28 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Quite salsilarious of you to notice that but making espinarial points does not a hominem make, add or subtract.

I'll have to dig out the dictionary to know what you said.  I've found lately "Ah yes and who won the Presidental election this time?" works pretty well.  Luckily I live in about as Republican Country as they come.  A minister who just left town said he was happy "to get out of the Republican Strong Hold for Oregon."  Can I hear a w00t!

Patty
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:15:57 PM EDT
[#16]
you know you've won when they call you a racist, they always will.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:20:46 PM EDT
[#17]
usually a few "yeah but"s

followed by some rediculous or outlandish case scenario

then "lets just agree to disagree"
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:24:07 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I'll have to dig out the dictionary to know what you said.  I've found lately "Ah yes and who won the Presidental election this time?" works pretty well.  Luckily I live in about as Republican Country as they come.  A minister who just left town said he was happy "to get out of the Republican Strong Hold for Oregon."  Can I hear a w00t!

Patty

Where is this?  I should move there.  Portland sucks.  I'm still seeing Kerry bumper stickers.  As long as I keep seeing them I will continue to proudly display my "WINNER!" sticker, not that I completely support Bush, but if it pisses off a liberal once a day, I've done my duty.
Link Posted: 9/29/2005 3:41:46 PM EDT
[#19]
When they explode.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top