Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/17/2002 4:32:54 PM EDT
is there a safe way of drying stain faster. It has started to cool off big time here and i have stained some wood. i need to finish it by sat morning, but at the rate it is drying, it wont be ready for a long time.  been 12 hrs and is still very tacky.

thanks
lojack
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:42:31 PM EDT
[#1]
It's too late for you to use this now but there is a product that you can add to stain before you apply it that makes it dry faster. I can't remember the name of it but it is available at most hardware stores. Maybe it will help next time.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:46:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 4:48:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Did you wipe the excess off with a clean rag  about 15 mins. after you applied it?
I don't recall ever having to wait more than 12 hrs before finishing. (I'm doing some at this time also)
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:10:11 PM EDT
[#4]
I would avoid any methods that involve flames or electric motors (could spark). In an enclosed space, especially if you close it off and try to heat the room or the piece, the fumes could ignite.

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:11:14 PM EDT
[#5]
It's called japan drier
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:20:22 PM EDT
[#6]
Once it is on the wood surface, all you can do to speed up the process is raise the room temp., as pointed out by thebeekeeper1.

I have tried from time to time in a fit of impatience to use direct heet blowing on the board, either with a heatgun or an electric heater. It actually makes matters worse.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 5:50:44 PM EDT
[#7]
what kind of stain are you people using? unless mixed with some type of finish, i can't imagine it taking that long to dry.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:44:37 PM EDT
[#8]
While temp and humidity are important, don't neglect air circulation.

edited to add, you did take care of your rags properly? For those that don't know, oiled rags can start a fire. Best thing is to place them in a bucket of water. I've seen an experienced cabinetmaker neglect this and get lit up for it.
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 8:58:05 PM EDT
[#9]

Just to echo racebaiter, what product are you using?

There is no way that a stain alone should be tacky, particularly after 12 hours.  Are you using one of those "complete finish in one can" wonders?

Link Posted: 10/17/2002 9:41:27 PM EDT
[#10]
It is good that you all are taking up other hobbies because soon this site will be "AR15.com- Memorial To The Black Rifle".
Link Posted: 10/17/2002 10:05:35 PM EDT
[#11]
Yeah, you should have used Aniline dyes instead...They are alcohol or water-based, dry REALLY fast and give a deeper color. Only problem is if you try to refinish dyed wood, you can only re-dye it with the same dye....or darker.
Link Posted: 10/18/2002 4:53:00 AM EDT
[#12]
Tandy's LEATHER Dye does a lovely job on gun stocks.  You've got scads of shades to choose from, it dries in less than 5 minutes, and if the first coat doesn't get the piece as dark as you want it, just slap on another coat.

Been using it on all my (wood) gunstocks for over 20 years.  Try it, you'll like it [:D]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top