Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
1/25/2018 7:38:29 AM
Posted: 6/11/2001 4:41:17 PM EST
i have a rifle im selling to a friend how do i tranfer registration from my name to his name?any information would be greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 4:54:30 PM EST
I see that you don't live in the Peoples Republic of Kalifornia. That being said, there is probably no registration for long guns there in the great state of Oklahoma. I would just make sure that the person is legally permitted to own a firearm (in other words not a criminal or insane) and make sure you have him or her sign a bill of sale. You could go through a gun dealer to broker the deal and perform a background check on the person if you wish. I don't really no the laws there in OK, but most states don't have registration on long guns.
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 5:04:12 PM EST
Before Selling the gun, have the buyer and you sign a contract and go to a notary public, have it notarized. The contract should say that you sold this person the gun and that he bears all responsibilty of the operation, shooting, cleaning care, and criminal responsibilty for it. Have it notarized, that way if it is used in a crime, you can show the cops that you no longer legally own the gun, and they will be less like to suspect you, the owner. -Chuck [sniper] Provided there are no other laws of course
Link Posted: 6/11/2001 9:35:14 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 4:02:59 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/12/2001 8:45:02 AM EST
Chuck, I'm sure that's what the guy who sold the guns to the Columbine group thought. If you have no assets and the weapon is untraceable to you, then maybe it’s not a big deal for you. But as a responsible gun owner, you [b]are[/b] under legal and moral obligation not to deliver a weapon to someone legally prohibited from possessing one, even if you only suspect he is a prohibited person. If the weapon is traceable to you, and it is a legitimate sale, you would be a moron not to keep records. You keep records to cover your butt. Pipefitter, Interstate sales are required to go through an FFL on the receiving end. [b]If[/b] Oklahoma requires that transfers go through and FFL, then do it that way. Failing to do so will place you in jeopardy of criminal prosecution and possible civil litigation if the gun you sold ends up having been used to harm someone else. This is especially important if the weapon is traceable to you. That said, do what your conscience tells you to do.
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 6:19:32 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/13/2001 4:28:19 PM EST
Top Top