Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/11/2002 3:01:22 PM EDT
i have an M1 that my dad gave to me as my first deer gun when i was around 7 or 8 and i was curious of it's origins, he bought it through the nra before we had a communist gov. it has all kinds of markings on the stock but i cant find a name any where on it, does any body know how to i.d. one? this is what it says on right side towards butt of stock -> W.R.A. with a symbol i cant make out -> G.H.D. a capitol P on pistol grip behind trigger on left side of stock below rear sight -> AA-r with a box around it on reciever it says US CARBINE CAL 30 M1 [?]
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:30:54 PM EDT
any body know???
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:34:46 PM EDT
The WRA probably stands for Winchester Repeating Arms The GHD is most likely an inspector's stamp. The AA-r is probably indicative of the weapon having been rebuilt by Anniston Army Depot. Does it have any markings under the back of the rear sight, just ahead of the serial number? How about the barrel? My 1943 Inland is so marked both under the rear sight and on the barrel just behind the front sight. My initial guess would be that your Carbine is a Winchester. But you need to provide more information for anyone to arrive at an informed conclusion.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 3:37:59 PM EDT
The manufacturer's marking will be on top of the receiver, just behind the rear sight. The early carbines had a small, flip sight. When these were rebuilt or upgraded, this sight was replaced with the larger, adjustable model. Often, the newer sight concealed the markings, but if you peak under the sight, you will be able to see it. Also, check the top of the barrel, a few inches below the front sight. If the barrel is original to the gun, it may (or may not) be marked.
Link Posted: 3/11/2002 8:11:15 PM EDT
The manufactures name by the serial # will tell you who made it , you can't really go by the barrel markings since some manufactures didn't make there own barrels and used barrels made by other contractors...example..Standard Products carbines used barrels made by IBM, Underwood, marlin, Inland and Buffalo Arms. You could even have a post war replacement barrel !
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 2:33:31 AM EDT
Contact www.Fulton-Armory.com Clint there used to give information based on the marks, on rec.guns (the usenet group) That's accessible via deja.com You might try contacting him that way, maybe he can find time to help you out with your rifle's background.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 7:08:16 AM EDT
under the rear sight it says saginaw s.g. there is some sort of mark behind the front sight, it does have adjustable rear sight on it but it may not be original my dad had 2 of these guns and many parts he got while in the army. what is the usenet group ? and also why is it that serial #'s are not shown? thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:10:24 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:55:41 AM EDT
does this manual tell me what parts are correct and how to get documentation? as far as value i'll never sell this gun so that doesn't matter but knowing this information would be nice and i'll probably research my dad's garand too
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 1:11:45 PM EDT
Carbines are a fascinating and at times confusing field of collection. Don't get to worked up over getting all the "correct" parts. Of the twelve (or was it eleven?) builders only three manufactured all parts in house. Winchester, Inland, and IBM (I think). All the others used parts from various sources. Even the big three would mix and match parts if they happened to run short. It is entirely feasible for, say, an Inland to come direct from the factory with mixed parts. The goal was to crank out as many carbines as fast as possible. Having all parts from the same manufacturer just didn't enter the equation. It was a truly immense manufacturing undertaking. Six million carbines made in something like three years. And I second the recommendation on Duff's book. Excellent read and lots of good inforamtion.
Link Posted: 3/12/2002 8:04:13 PM EDT
Oops, I only saw M1 - didn't see the part where the receiver stamp said carbine. Superdav ( OK, supaa!!) Uenet is a massive collection of internet-wide discussion groups (substitute "forums"). This comes from the early days of the internet and, I believe, even before the world wide web. Definitely pre-AOL, no fancy graphics or GUI interface, for the most part. A lot of ISP's don't offer Usenet, it's more of a techie thing. The ISP's or hosts (colleges & universities, for example) that do offer it tend to offer Unix shell accounts, and really basic e-mail there). Each host will archive a chosen amount (days) of posts for selected newsgroups. Each host will also have a "newsreader" program or two. The newsreader allows certain user defined parameters (which newsgroups you want to read, for example). Your account at the host keeps track of your preferences and which messages you've read in each group, and the newsreader takes yout posts/replies and broadcasts them over the internet. Its archive catches the new posts for you to read. Deja.com (now owned by Google) is a web-based interface to the newsgroups. It's handier for the non-technical user. Check it out. WWW meets the old internet! I had such an account until the ISP sold out to another one. I learned a lot the hard way and picked up a rudimentary grasp of Unix in the process, along with basic shell-account programs like Pine, NN, TIN, etc. I'd recommend this to anyone interested in computing without Bill Gates. Any one know any commercial ISP's who offer shell accounts? I kinda miss it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 12:40:11 PM EDT
looks like i'll be buying a new book, thanks for all the help.
Link Posted: 3/13/2002 5:38:10 PM EDT
If you are interested in knowing "which coded parts go with which Carbine" you don't want the Duff (or actually, the Ruth and Duff) book. You want Craig Reisch's M1 Carbine-War Time Production. The Ruth & Duff book is the M1 Carbine Owners Manual and it only covers use, operation and maintenance of the Carbine----and while a "good book"---won't tell you diddley squat about the various manufacturer codes and markings.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:40:01 AM EDT
does the military book club sell these books?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 11:48:34 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:12:22 PM EDT
one more question, would it be possible to find out where this gun has been (normandy,germany,france,etc)
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:20:44 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:25:43 PM EDT
why is it serial #'s are not to be stated on line?
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 12:35:53 PM EDT
raf is right about being unable (in almost all cases) to "trace" the history of any paticular Carbine. You can state the entire SN when on-line on one of the Forums, however, most individuals do not----I believe it comes from concern of disclosing the entire SN in a public setting---in case someone were to say that it was stolen from them; the Gov't compiling SN's for registration, etc. Otherwise, the Reisch book, "U. S. M1 Carbines: Wartime Production" is published by North Cape Publiscations, Tustin, California. I would suggest you try: www.idsabooks.com or wwwdiscountgunbooks.com, etc.
Link Posted: 3/14/2002 3:25:35 PM EDT
I used to be into carbines, and the best book I had is now updated as "The War Baby" by Bruce Dow. This one gets right down to the individual parts. It gives a complete history of each suppliers carbine production, and all known markings. It then gets into all known carbine accessories.
Top Top