Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2001 9:56:22 PM EDT
stupid nieghbors like to feed birds, which then attracted the flying rats, an of course squirrels and regular 4 legged rats. and since they damn birds sit on the power wires which cross over our backyard, the amount of SHIT generated by those damn things is getting to be a health hazard.

well since these tree hugger bird feeding morons dont even want to talk about it or listen to reason, and since shooting the damn shitbirds would be illegal and could cause future problems (for US) should the neighbors decide to call the cops about people "with guns shooting".
anyone got some permanent solutions ?
thinking about trying to humanely trap them, also thinking about a rat trap on our side of the fence for some neck snappage. does the alka seltzer thing work ?

on a funny side note -- my grandma came over today and walked up to the fence while the neighbors were out back, and saw all the bird shit and said in a Loud voice " I CANT BELIEVE ALL THE BIRD SHIT THATS OVER HERE, THIS IS JUST A LOT OF SHIT"
LOL-- grandma Rocks
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 9:59:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Go get a bunch of stray cats, put them in a water baloon launcher, and shoot them at the birds.

radioman
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:03:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Subsonic .22LR is pretty quiet.  Are you in town or a suburban/development location?  The ol' pop bottle on the end of  the .22 might not be a bad idea either[:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:05:26 PM EDT
[#3]
Blind them with a laser pointer, eventually they will fly into a car or have a delayed reaction when a cat pounces on them.   More fat cats, less birds.

That or throw rice over the fence for the things to eat, I hear it makes them blow up when their gut can't process it.  Don't know if it's an urban legend or not but wedding receptions have stopped throwing rice for the most part because of this rumor.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:06:02 PM EDT
[#4]
part of the problem with shooting the shitters is that if the dead birds fall on their side of the fence they will Freak.
they already accused us of shooting a bird with a bb gun a while ago (we didnt do it) and there dog chewed up the dead bird.

weve seen a hawk come by a couple times, wishing it would stick around
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:17:22 PM EDT
[#5]
Douse them in gasoline and touch them with a match. Instant dinner.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:18:41 PM EDT
[#6]
Get a helium balloon that looks like an owl or
any raptor.
I hate owning houses that have the power and telephone lines on their easement!
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:40:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Traps work. So does shooting them. But, you will only put a small dent in their population. If you feed them, they will come. Sorry, I do not have a solution for you. Good luck.

If you decide to trap them, give the live birds to someone with a hunting dog. Great training.

Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:41:12 PM EDT
[#8]
We had a problem with birds perching on our roof and crapping all over our deck.  We nailed a couple rubber snakes to the roof and no more poop.  It's worked for two years.  You could try one of those plastic owls as well.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:43:27 PM EDT
[#9]
Get a live pigeon trap and then sell/give them to a feed/livestock store.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 10:55:33 PM EDT
[#10]
animatron owls, which have motions sensors that flap their wings when tripped off.  But they're expensive.  Run of the mill owl decoys dont fool the dumbass pgeons for long.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:00:44 PM EDT
[#11]
Too bad you can't catch them all and then let them loose in the neighbors house while they are away, if they like birdshit so much then let them have their fill of it.

If the damned things were crapping on my property and making a nusance of themselves then their numbers would be thinned by one way or another regardless of the opinions of the neighbors.   I don't consider wild birds to be pets and I'd certainly treat them as the pests they are.  I'd just make sure to do it in a manner which leaves the neighbors with no legal recourse to take action against my activities, don't care if it offends them but I sure as hell wouldn't leave them the means to further make my life miserable because I shot the things with a pellet gun.   And guys, seeming how these things are birds and that pigeons have an uncanny knack for returning to their favorite stomping grounds I'm not a big fan of trap and release because I'm not a hobbist breeder of homing pigeons.

Wish you luck LA and hope you don't have to deal with your neighbors ever again.
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:01:40 PM EDT
[#12]
Rat poison works, but you dont want your dogs to ingest the dead birds. Hey, how about rat poison for the neighbors, THEN shoot the birds???
[:D][:D][:D]
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:09:01 PM EDT
[#13]
A nice BB gun, and a steady aim should take care of the birdies on the powerlines.

Quiet too....
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:10:15 PM EDT
[#14]
I read somewhere that airports that had problems with pigeons getting in the way of the plane. So is what they did was take falcons out there and there sound they made simply scared them away. How about getting a tape of falcon noises maybe that would scare them away. Falcons are thier natrual enemy. Get the tape of Falcons and play it really loud.

Six
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:17:57 PM EDT
[#15]
[b]Get the tape of Falcons and play it really loud.[/b]

Wonder what the neighbors would think of that...
Link Posted: 6/9/2001 11:24:05 PM EDT
[#16]
Easy, they obviously like birds so you thought you'd play some bird sounds for them to appreciate.   Who the hell cares what they think, if they can be bird lovers then so can you!   It just so happens you love predatory birds rather than winged rats.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:19:46 AM EDT
[#17]
ive heard of the rubber snake idea, might have to give it a try.

shooting them is a bad idea, dont need some liberal young LAPD antigun cop hearing about shooting pigeons and then want to search OUR house for guns or run a check, etc. could cause BIG problems for US

i wish that hawk would come back, im a fan of birds of prey and just seeing one take out a pigeon would be Cool

if someone has a falcon that they want to bring over i would welcome that, those are cool birds.

the stupid neighbors have like 10 bird feeders in there backyard, and throw peanuts out for the squirrels and crows. they got pissed about the nieghbors cat that would kill a bird every once in a while, but that mutt is getting too old for that now. i dont mind the sparrows and hummingbirds but when you start attracting rats (yeah we seen a couple in there garden) and pigeons then its time for a new hobby.

the guy over there is a real pu**y and is married to some disgusting nut case femi-nazi liberal tree hugger. the houses are close together so that i can hear HER hack up a spit wad, and the guy just ignores you if you try to talk to him, my dad saw a rat in there yard and mentioned it to him, he didnt seem to care

anyway thanks for the ideas
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:02:33 AM EDT
[#18]
Back when I was a kid The Pigeons would have to run the Gauntlet!
one side of the telephone wires they would end up on my side and the other???? the neighbors side!

HeHe  

I was patient!

At My grandmothers house I used to sleep in the back yard on a lounge chair and get awaken by the rustle of rats going through the orange groves by the fence.. I would spotlight them with a Sheridan .20  

Done deal!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:14:31 AM EDT
[#19]
Out here in rural America we call the County Agent about such problems. They have all kinds of info. on the local flora and fauna.

You might have to try the city animal control dept. or such.

I know a fake owl works on sparrows and swallows. So a fake hawk would likely work on pigeons.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 10:24:44 AM EDT
[#20]
Radioman, water baloon launchers are leagal in Cali?
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:21:56 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, if you cant shoot them, I'd try calling the county health dept. All that shit cant be healthy.
Eric
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 11:45:37 AM EDT
[#22]
Make your own bird feeder and fill it with rice and Alkaseltzer and bird feed. They will come and eat then fly off. Later on when they take a drink the rice will expand and the alkaseltzer will start to fizz up and they will pop. That is a great way to get rid of them. Then there is my personal favorite, anthrax.

Enjoy!

Michael
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 12:55:24 PM EDT
[#23]
Spray them with the hose when they show up.  Also works on the neigbors.  

Too bad you can't somehow ground them from the power line.  I guess you could catch them and tie a 30 ft long wire to their feet.  Other than the hose, I have no real suggestions.  Poison is too risky to the pets in the area.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:01:18 PM EDT
[#24]
Just put some poison in the feeder at like 2:00 AM. Or fill up there feeder at night with a little poison soaked seed. They will never notice that the feeder is a little bit fuller and if you keep doing this that will solve the problem.

Also pellet guns and subsonic .22lrs work good. or just pick up stray cats and relocate them to your neiborhood.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 1:02:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Maybe try some of those glue pads that are made for rat and mouse control? I have been toying with this idea to live catch pigeons for resale. You would have to place them where the birds roost and you would get collateral animals too.There is a shooting range near here that pays $3 ea for live pigeons for their pigeon shoots. The graineries around here are loaded with them and it would be some good money if I could do high volume pigeon trapping. Good luck!
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:46:14 PM EDT
[#26]
Don't bother with the falcon noises it doesnt work.  The ford dealership here has a large billboard over the area they park the new trucks.  They have the noises and the plastic owls.  You can look up there any time and see birds sitting right next to the owl.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:48:00 PM EDT
[#27]
Don't bother with the falcon noises it doesnt work.  The ford dealership here has a large billboard over the area they park the new trucks.  They have the noises and the plastic owls.  You can look up there any time and see birds sitting right next to the owl.
Link Posted: 6/10/2001 7:49:19 PM EDT
[#28]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top