Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/26/2001 5:41:38 AM EDT
Just wondering. First time I took my new AR to the range I was getting JAMS (short stroking) about once every 10 rounds. Range guy kept putting  CLP on the bolt and carrier key hole. CLP is his answer to anything guns but it seems to work.

Second time out I got maybe 1 short stroke per 50 rounds.

Now after about 500 rounds she's running fine, no more jams, so I'm thinking 500 rounds or so is needed. Bolt seems to slide into carrier a little easier now also.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:55:27 AM EDT
[#1]
Olympic Arms???  LOL
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 6:14:03 AM EDT
[#2]
I had a similar experience with my Bushy.  I was really mad!  The one I had in the Army never hung up but I spend my $800 and it was a jamamatic.

It's ok now, but I did a lot of things at the same time so I don't know what fixed it.  I rebuilt all my mags with new springs and green followers (personally, I think that was the key), I went to Tetra lube products, I aligned the gas rings (I have come to believe that solution is overrated), and I cleaned and opened up the drain hole which was pretty clogged with lock-tite!  I have not had a malfunction for a while, but once a gun does that to you, it's kinda hard to get it off your mind!
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 3:45:30 PM EDT
[#3]
Good Mags, good ammo.

No problemos
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 5:04:40 PM EDT
[#4]
My Colt 6920(M4) upper ran like a charm right out of the box.  After a measley 500 rounds it is yet to miss a lick.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 7:36:09 PM EDT
[#5]
It seems to me that some guns don't seem to need any breaking in at all, but in general two hundred rounds or so seems to be the consencus. I had trouble with one of my Bushmasters in the first hundred rounds, but never had any trouble after that even in sub zero conditions.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:00:33 PM EDT
[#6]
My Colt Match target ran fine consistently, even through 3 brand new uppers.

radioman
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:03:08 PM EDT
[#7]
As long as it takes to pound out a case of ammo.
Link Posted: 5/26/2001 8:08:12 PM EDT
[#8]
I aligned the gas rings (I have come to believe that solution is overrated), and I cleaned and opened up the drain hole which was pretty clogged with lock-tite!  I have not had a malfunction for a while, but once a gun does that to you, it's kinda hard to get it off your mind!
View Quote

Explain more about this aligning of the gas rings.

Thanks!
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 12:42:48 AM EDT
[#9]
When I bought my Bushmaster I had a jam-o-Matic. After 500 rounds she was fine. I also got some new mags. I am not sure if it was the mags or the 500 rounds but she has not missed a beat since then.

Six
Link Posted: 5/27/2001 7:24:09 AM EDT
[#10]
Aligning the gas rings.

Pull the bolt out of the bold carrier and there are three little gas rings around it, sort of like piston rings in an engine.  They are designed to allow gas to blow through, but not so quickly that it will not fully cycle the bolt and carrier.  The gaps in these rings should be evenly spaced at 120 degrees from one another.  If they are lined up, then it offers a clear path for the gas to blow through and might not cycle the carrier.

I always align mine, and every time I take it apart again, they are messed up -- even when the rifle has been working correctly.  So I line them up properly every time I clean it then when I take it apart they are sometimes lined back up.  One of the many exercises in futility in my life.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top