Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/2/2005 7:05:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:15:44 AM EDT by mjrowley]
My all of my electronic thingies seem to kill my battery very quickly.
ETA:
The battery in the truck is fine for normal starting and charging the cell phone. The battery is only failing when i have the engine off and am listing to my radio(aftermarket with a 5 channel amp), and probably charging my laptop battery.

Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:13:32 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:15:40 AM EDT
Why not a second alternator? A friend did that to his Scottsdale and had no problems after that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:18:05 AM EDT
I have a feeling he means while his engine is not running so a beefy alternator would do very little to help that.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:18:17 AM EDT
I'd try buying yourself an Optima Battery first, before you shell out the clams for a second battery or second alternator.

Optima's are the raped ape of the automotive battery world.

HS1
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:23:11 AM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:33:54 AM EDT
Do you have room to mount it? How much room do you have? And the best battery would be a Cat battery. Yes they make them for cars as well as big equipment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:40:59 AM EDT

Originally Posted By cat-mechanic:
Do you have room to mount it? How much room do you have? And the best battery would be a Cat battery. Yes they make them for cars as well as big equipment.

Tell me more about the "CAT" battery.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:51:19 AM EDT
How about one of those solar recharger/maintainers. If you're alternator is keeping up with demand, and it's only going bad when your engine's off, one of these helps out quite a bit.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:54:17 AM EDT

Originally Posted By mjrowley:

They are designed by Cat and built by Johnson Controls. They were designed to take a beating and keep working. I am looking for the test info that Cat did on batteries. They would put other batteries side by side with the Cat batteries and vibrate them until they failed. Cat won hands down.

I have a friend who has a single group 74 Cat battery in his Chevy truck, left the lights on all day at work. After work the truck still started right up. I am not talking just the running lights either, headlights and everything were on.

Plus you can get them at a store down the street from you. At the 60 and Country Club. Southeast side. Look for the yellow equipment.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 7:55:04 AM EDT

Originally Posted By HighStrung1:
I'd try buying yourself an Optima Battery first, before you shell out the clams for a second battery or second alternator.

HS1

I am running dual Optimas in both my Jeep and my Toyota Landcruiser. All you need is a battery isolator so they charge independently of each other. Can be bought at any auto parts store.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 8:10:36 AM EDT
Try a yellow top Optima first.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:06:50 AM EDT
Even a red top Optima may do it. Lots of flaky electronics problems are caused by shorting between the POS battery cable and the side terminal. On my Suburban I ended up with a corroded POS cable, lots of weird electrical problems, and an alternator which had one fried diode. First replace the batter with an Optima, and check your POS cable, the corrosion eats up the length of it. The look at replacing your 105 amp alternator with a 130 or more amp alternator. Rebuilt amps for those vehicles are cheap.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:22:02 AM EDT

They are designed by Cat and built by Johnson Controls. They were designed to take a beating and keep working. I am looking for the test info that Cat did on batteries. They would put other batteries side by side with the Cat batteries and vibrate them until they failed. Cat won hands down.

I have a friend who has a single group 74 Cat battery in his Chevy truck, left the lights on all day at work. After work the truck still started right up. I am not talking just the running lights either, headlights and everything were on.

Plus you can get them at a store down the street from you. At the 60 and Country Club. Southeast side. Look for the yellow equipment.

Bingham?

Mrs Binghan is HOTT!

So what do they cost?
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:24:40 AM EDT
Thanks for the help.

I had an optima bat about 5 years ago. It was great. I'm seriously considering a "CAT", love to have some "CAT", under the hood.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:30:48 AM EDT
If you do end up getting a second battery, you will need a battery isolator.

-Foxxz
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:38:44 AM EDT
A high amperage constant duty solenoid is a better choice than an Isolator, as there is no loss thru the diodes, and subsequently no heat byproduct.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:41:07 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 11:42:49 AM EDT by heysoos]
Yep, red top Optima, or Yellow top for more accessories..

ETA: IIRC, the Red tops are around $139, and the Yellow are around $189..
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:02:04 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 12:07:27 PM EDT by PeteCO]

My all of my electronic thingies seem to kill my battery very quickly.

The 140 amp cop alternator will fit in your Avalanche. Forget 2 alternators, it's a PITA to get them to work together.

If you sit for long periods of time without the engine running, get a deep-cycle battery with an isolator, or simply wire a battery in parallel to the existing battery wiring. This is the easiest solution, just like a diesel, and you won't need an isolator.

Since an older battery will "drag down" the newer one, you would want to replace your existing battery with 2 identical batteries.

You can probably use the 2nd battery tray for a diesel truck in your Avalanche. In my Tahoe, I have a "Tools" box on the driver's side, it unbolts and you can put the tray out of the diesel in its place. For cable, you can buy the diesel parts at a junkyard, but I use welding cable - it is cheaper and higher quality.

Another known issue on GM trucks is a shitty connection due to that sandwich-type battery terminal connection. IIRC, the bolt stretches, and the solution is to clean the terminals, put a brass washer in between where the battery's lead terminal and the contact surface is, and get a new bolt from a hardware store to replace the crappy factory one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:50:08 PM EDT
I will get sizes and amp ratings for you tomorrow, as well as price. I believe I get a 25% discount as well, but for mentioning Bingham you will have to pay full price.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 5:36:04 PM EDT
I paid about $105 for my Red Top Optima, on sale at Advance Auto.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:16:23 PM EDT

I will get sizes and amp ratings for you tomorrow, as well as price. I believe I get a 25% discount as well, but for mentioning Bingham you will have to pay full price.

What is it about Bigham you dont like? Is the CAT store next door/ down the street?

Well she was hot 5-6 years ago...
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:27:47 PM EDT
If your battery is dying prematurely, your alternator is probably not working properly.

As for two batteries, that was a factory option, so adding another is no problem. The factory put the second battery up near the A/C condensor on the passenger side.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:34:44 PM EDT
www.painlesswiring.com/webcatalog.asp

Go to battery accessories, then scroll down to the dual battery setup. Has everything you'll need except the battery
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 6:41:29 PM EDT
Dude why are you asking here? Goto the Avalanche owners forum and the gearheads will help you with actual experience.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:46:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 10:52:00 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 10:54:04 PM EDT by mjrowley]

Originally Posted By ARDOC:
Dude why are you asking here? Goto the Avalanche owners forum and the gearheads will help you with actual experience.

It would take a couple of weeks to get this many replys.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:22:35 AM EDT
I did some research on this subject, and this appears to be the best system out there.

www.hellroaring.com/battery1.htm
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 6:52:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By entropy:
I did some research on this subject, and this appears to be the best system out there.

www.hellroaring.com/battery1.htm

Very nice! Thanks!
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:27:01 AM EDT

Because the Avalanche forum is full of a bunch of guys who pay others to do the work for them and thus have little "actual experience" other than dropping the vehicle off at the shop to get the work done? Just my experience, YMMV.

Here is where the factory locates the second battery, up near the firewall on the passenger side. I would recommend you use the same location, and buy the brackets and install hardware from Mr. Goodwrench:

Here is a dual Optima setup I did on my CJ-7 using the Wrangler Power Products Isolater and wiring kit. The Isolator allows you to lock out the second battery and run the first one dry and then switch over to the second battery to restart:

Link Posted: 10/3/2005 1:54:08 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RenegadeX:

Because the Avalanche forum is full of a bunch of guys who pay others to do the work for them and thus have little "actual experience" other than dropping the vehicle off at the shop to get the work done? Just my experience, YMMV.

Here is where the factory locates the second battery, up near the firewall on the passenger side. I would recommend you use the same location, and buy the brackets and install hardware from Mr. Goodwrench:

tradecraft.us/Images/ChevyDualBatteries.jpg

Here is a dual Optima setup I did on my CJ-7 using the Wrangler Power Products Isolater and wiring kit. The Isolator allows you to lock out the second battery and run the first one dry and then switch over to the second battery to restart:

tradecraft.us/Images/CJ-7DualBatteries.jpg

Umm, NO. They do their own work.

But that is the spot the factory does use. The Optimas are top notch. You can get them pretty cheap on eghey.

Does someone have the colorcodes for the Optimas?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 2:35:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/3/2005 2:37:04 PM EDT by RenegadeX]

Umm, NO. They do their own work.

But that is the spot the factory does use. The Optimas are top notch. You can get them pretty cheap on eghey.

Well that is good then, when I was first there a few years ago it was all 20 inch wheels and who could install a Whipple. Not a very technical crowd. I find pickuptruck.com to be a good site, lots of GM tech employees on that site.

Red is General Purpose, Yellow is Deep Cycle, Blue is Marine.
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 7:39:47 PM EDT
is it safe buying them off EBAY?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:45:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:16:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By -brass-:

Red Top - Car Starter - $125

Yellow Top - Car Starter / Deep Cycle / Fast Charge - $200

So I need the yellow top?

I wonder what the Caterpillar Batteries are going for, cost wise?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:17:22 PM EDT

tradecraft.us/Images/ChevyDualBatteries.jpg

tradecraft.us/Images/CJ-7DualBatteries.jpg

thanks i needed that pic of the chevy...
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:21:03 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:38:09 PM EDT
On This Web Site they have it for $169.99 with free shipping. Is that the best I will be able to do?
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:42:18 PM EDT
You know what's really nice about having dual batteries is, if you kill your primary starting battery, you can just JUMP YOURSELF
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 9:55:04 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 6:17:18 AM EDT

On This Web Site they have it for $169.99 with free shipping. Is that the best I will be able to do?

Have you even checked the tension on your alternator belt yet? How much " electronic thingies" are you running? How old is your battery? What state do you live in?

Measure twice, cut once, or in other worse diagnose the problem first, buy parts once.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:12:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/4/2005 8:16:36 AM EDT by mjrowley]

Have you even checked the tension on your alternator belt yet? How much " electronic thingies" are you running? How old is your battery? What state do you live in?

Measure twice, cut once, or in other worse diagnose the problem first, buy parts once.

I guess I had better go back and fix my original post.

The battery in the truck is fine for normal starting and charging the cell phone. The battery is only failing when i have the engine off and am listing to my radio(aftermarket with a 5 channel amp), and probably charging my laptop battery.

That is why I need a deep cycle battery or dual batter the truck.

As for your question, the truck is 3 months old. bet feels fine, and I live in PHX, AZ.

Link Posted: 10/4/2005 10:38:25 AM EDT

I guess I had better go back and fix my original post.

That is why I need a deep cycle battery or dual batter the truck.

As for your question, the truck is 3 months old. bet feels fine, and I live in PHX, AZ.

Gotcha, Dual Battery with Isolator is exactly what you need.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:17:32 PM EDT
I was looking to replace the batter in my Jeep, I am glad I ran across this.. I opted to try out a CAT battery.. I got their "Premium High Output" for $83. It looks/and feels like it is build alot better than the interstate that I took out. also a bit heavier. It was slightly taller than a regular group34 battery, I make it fit. It will probably get some abuse this weekend when we go camping, I'll report back if I have any problems :)
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:23:41 PM EDT
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:26:37 PM EDT

HS1

+1
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:31:33 PM EDT

HS1

+1000, I have one in my boat and it took the place of 2 trolling batteries. It will recharge so damn fast you cannot believe it. Buy one, its well worth the cost. Besides with 2 batteries you will have to have a split charge system or you will end up with problems. I havean optima in my truck with a winch, it'll outpull ANY battery that'll fit under the hood that you can buy and have juice left over.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 7:09:49 PM EDT
Ok, I was looking around, there are a LOT of different yellow top Optimas. Which the one you need?
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 8:35:13 PM EDT

Ok, I was looking around, there are a LOT of different yellow top Optimas. Which the one you need?

one with side post's. other than that i'm not so sure.
Link Posted: 10/5/2005 11:07:06 AM EDT
I could only find a few. One has standard (SAE) top terminals, one is a 6-volt, one has both the top & side terminals. The latter is the only one I've seen regularly in the stores.
Top Top