Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/31/2005 5:29:25 AM EDT
its no big deal on the sale of new guns, since 99% of new guns come with one, but small dealers that will need to sell it as part of the price with a used gun, thet the buyer may not want may have a option..

you are required to sell it with the gun, but the buyer is not required to keep it.. there for, after you have sold it,compleating your requirements, you could have a "lock buy back" program :)

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:38:51 AM EDT
[#1]
Heck, you can buy the damn things for 99 cents. And most shops if they have half a brain will throw one in free, my local shop has never charged me for one. As far as places like cabalas they try to sell you one that IS a decent one but I just keep bringing along the first one I got, no place in the bill does it say a buyer cannot use one they already have.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:40:37 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:41:44 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Heck, you can buy the damn things for 99 cents. And most shops if they have half a brain will throw one in free, my local shop has never charged me for one. As far as places like cabalas they try to sell you one that IS a decent one but I just keep bringing along the first one I got, no place in the bill does it say a buyer cannot use one they already have.

Are you required in MI to buy a lock or show that you have one?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 5:48:36 AM EDT
[#4]
its now a law in illinois
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:03:36 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Are you required in MI to buy a lock or show that you have one?

Yes, all guns sold by an FFL have to be triggerlocked at the time of the sale. However it makes no difference WHO'S lock it is. I believe it came into effect around the same time as the "shall issue" CCW law. I'll take that trade any damn time as our local sheriff and chief were asses along with the board. Even after the law passed they mouthed off til the Proc atty [good guy who is now a judge and puts on CCW and the law classes] told them if they obstructed he would have no recourse but to charge them.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:13:38 AM EDT
[#6]
either that or sell the gun at normal price, and have a trigger lock bin next to the exit door where they can throw them and just reuse them over and over with other guns....
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:17:12 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:18:19 AM EDT
[#8]
Though I have read the bill I don't believe the law applies to used guns and even if it does.  We have a box full of trigger and cable locks because the first thing many of our customers do after we sell them a gun is take the lock out and leave it on the counter or hand it to a salesman saying, "You can keep that f_cking thing.".
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:21:45 AM EDT
[#9]
My local police deparment gives away those cable locks that go through your mag well and ejection port.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:25:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
My local police deparment gives away those cable locks that go through your mag well and ejection port.

Do those count for this new law?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:27:45 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Though I have read the bill I don't believe the law applies to used guns and even if it does.  We have a box full of trigger and cable locks because the first thing many of our customers do after we sell them a gun is take the lock out and leave it on the counter or hand it to a salesman saying, "You can keep that f_cking thing.".

actual text:

"it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921(a)(34)) for that handgun."
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:28:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Do those count for this new law?

no, law "so far" say it must be provided "with" the gun at time of buying.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:34:43 AM EDT
[#13]
I don't know why people are so worked up about this.  I know its a slight compromise, but a good one, considering the level of malfeasance in the Senate from a few select "devil's incarnate".  Leave it in, and in the next Dumocrat bitch session, we can say "hey, we compromised on the last bill, so there"
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:39:17 AM EDT
[#14]
I got some free locks from my sheriffs dept when I got some pistol permits, we have the pistol permit system in NC, haven't done it yet, but I plan to sell them on ebay!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:44:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

actual text:

"it shall be unlawful for any licensed importer, licensed manufacturer, or licensed dealer to sell, deliver, or transfer any handgun to any person other than any person licensed under this chapter, unless the transferee is provided with a secure gun storage or safety device (as defined in section 921(a)(34)) for that handgun."

Could that not be the lockable case that comes with Sigs, HKs, Rugers, and many other brands?
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 6:54:37 AM EDT
[#16]
My SIG 2009 came with one from SIG in the case --which along with the big SIG/Sauer sticker are nifty little freebies neither of which I will use. I think the law should be ammended or changed to say something like any criminal act commited with a hangun must have the HG transported to and from the crime locked and failure to do so is an additional minimum mandatory 500 year sentance.  I remember NY used to require them with long guns and Burnsbro gave them out with every sale --they were all key'd alike. PA law requires them w/ handgun sales now. I got one with the 1911, XD40 and the SIG. I think its stupid but if thats all they were able to get on the bill, it is in effect a hollow victory as most states already require some thing similar anyway.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:23:23 AM EDT
[#17]
When are we going to press for a federal law requiring "The Club" to be sold along with every new car?  It's only fair.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:30:55 AM EDT
[#18]
I shoot my trigger locks just to prove how ineffective they really are.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:36:12 AM EDT
[#19]

Could that not be the lockable case that comes with Sigs, HKs, Rugers, and many other brands?

yes...

Link Posted: 7/31/2005 7:40:01 AM EDT
[#20]
I was wondering if the Government would give away gun safes to those in need for safe gun storage. Mine is full. I would like a new 24 gun size safe, please.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 8:52:15 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

yes...

Problem solved.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:19:49 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:
The Senate and House versions now go to committed for reconciliation.   The differences between
the two bills will be evened out.  The trigger lock amendment can be deleted,  and if you light up
the phones in your congresscritter's office,  it probably WILL be.
CJ

Except that the House hasn't passed their version yet, so there will be no conference committee.

Expect the House to vote on the Senate Bill as is, just as the Senate voted on the House's Energy Bill...

—Dan
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:21:28 PM EDT
[#23]
In PA the sherrifs dept. gives away trigger locks, NO maximum. Take as many as you need to lock up your guns!
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#24]
Already law in California.... and it needs to be a CA-certified one for that specific gun, or one that will function under weird guidelines (like one for the trigger, one cable lock to go through the magazine well, etc).

And you can't keep using the same one, they require one that you have a receipt for one dated within the past 30 days.

Never tried the buy-n-give-back idea, thought about it though.

ETA: the county sheriff dept has a program to distribute FREE cable locks. Supposedly sent out about 14,000 so far.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:24:04 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

actual text:

It is indeed. Adding the clause gives away nothing.

And CA already requires locks with new firearms, or signing and affidavit of possession of a secure storage device (safe etc) in the home.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:27:14 PM EDT
[#26]
It doesnt do anything, I dont know what its getting at because most people that buy guns, buy a lock or already have a safe.
Link Posted: 7/31/2005 10:30:22 PM EDT
[#27]
Anyone know if CZ sells their guns in locking cases, or am I gonna have to get rid of a trigger lock?

And this only applies to NEW handguns, right? A used one doesn't require a lock of any sort when sold?
Link Posted: 8/1/2005 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#28]

MA already has this law. (of course)

Bring lock to store when buying gun.  Give lock to owner "free".  Owner gives you back your lock "free with purchase".

Problem solved.  I think S&W and some other companies now give you a free padlock that locks the plastic case they ship the guns in now anyway, though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top