Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/12/2005 6:56:47 AM EDT
I'm trying to understand how having dominant vision affects one's shooting abilities.

If you have left eye or right eye dominant vision, how does this affect your aim??? What can you do to compensate for this???

Thanks
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:03:39 AM EDT
[#1]
For most people:  If you are left eye dominate and shooting a long gun with your right hand, you have to close your left eye or you tend to look at the left side of the weapon.  If you are left eye dominant and shoot left-handed, you look directly through the rear sight and see the front sight.
Of course, the converse is true if you are right eye dominant and shoot left-handed.  I am left eye dominant and when I shoot a long gun right-handed I can look through the rear sight or scope with my left eye closed, sight with my right eye, and then slowly open my left eye and I can still see with my right eye properly.  In other words, for some people it is possible to train and override the natural dominance.  When shooting a pistol right-handed, I just bring the weapon over to a position where my left eye sees through the rear sight to the front sight.  Hope this helps.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:24:20 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
For most people:  If you are left eye dominate and shooting a long gun with your right hand, you have to close your left eye or you tend to look at the left side of the weapon.  If you are left eye dominant and shoot left-handed, you look directly through the rear sight and see the front sight.
Of course, the converse is true if you are right eye dominant and shoot left-handed.  I am left eye dominant and when I shoot a long gun right-handed I can look through the rear sight or scope with my left eye closed, sight with my right eye, and then slowly open my left eye and I can still see with my right eye properly.  In other words, for some people it is possible to train and override the natural dominance.  When shooting a pistol right-handed, I just bring the weapon over to a position where my left eye sees through the rear sight to the front sight.  Hope this helps.

+1

I am a left, but shoot handguns with my right hand. You explanation is spot on.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 7:29:40 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm ambidextrous and can switch which eye is 'dominant' whenever I feel like it, so it isn't a problem for me. However, I tend to let my left eye and right hand be dominant whenever I don't need anything specific. No particular reason, that's just the way I chose to do it.

Unless I'm using a scope, I keep both eyes open. If I'm using a scope while hunting, I keep the other eye open to catch movement not visible in the scope. I typically shoot right-handed just to avoid brass hitting me or moving across my field of vision, but can go either way.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:38:50 AM EDT
[#4]
ok--how's this for wierd:  i'm right handed, right eye dominant, but i am extremely nearsighted in my right eye, and 20/15 in my left.  ergo, for practical purposes i'm left-dominant, but anytime i'm dealing with something within about 30", my right takes over.  long guns aren't a problem, either because i'm using an aimpoint w/ both eyes open, or the eye relief of the scope/irons are so close that my right doesn't try to refocus on them.  

pistols are another matter.  if i'm not concentrating, my right eye will take over and focus on the rear sight, leaving everything beyond that out of focus.  i didn't like the idea of closing one eye while shooting pistol, so i came up with an alternative solution.  i now shoot weaver, and turn my head about 3-5 degrees to the right.  voila.  

i prefer to change the position of my head rather than changing the position of the pistol, because i maintain a natural shooting posture and weapon/body relationship.  in addition, it's a lot easier to reprogram muscle memory for one group (neck) than for several (hands, arms, shoulders).
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 10:41:55 AM EDT
[#5]
ive got 20/10 vision....neither eye is much more dominant than the other...i can aim w/ either or.
Link Posted: 1/12/2005 11:00:30 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Thanks.... that great info
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top