Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2010 6:04:07 AM EDT
I get an email from Face Book, but not on the email address that I am registered under.

The email said that it was a reminder that (my friend) had invited me to facebook.

now, my friend has uses the email address for me that is facebook email came on.  So he could have given it to FB

But here is the puzzling part.

in the body of the email, it list 4 or 5 people that I "may know" who are on FB

now, mind you, I am already on FB, but I use a hotmail account, not the email account this reminder email was sent on.

but these people they list, I do know, or know of, so how in the heck did FB come up with these names?

how did FB have a clue I might know these people

I'm trying to think if I have ever did a FB search for them and I can't remember.

this email is coming at me, as if I am not a member of FB yet.

this crap on the interwebs  is making me uneasy..
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
he can suggest friends for you, or it may be mutual friends.....
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:06:56 AM EDT
[#2]
Magic.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:07:58 AM EDT
[#3]
This person may have invited you to be a friend via an email address.  It happened to be the address that you do not use in your account.  Maybe Facebook connected the dots of your mutual friends with others in order to make recommendations. That's my guess.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:10:14 AM EDT
[#4]
You do know that there are spammers that use e-mails with facebook like names, right?  I mean, it's called "facebook."  Yet sometimes I get e-mails from "face book" "face-book" "FaceBook" etc.  That could be what it is.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:10:47 AM EDT
[#5]
there is a spam email going out from

facebookmail.com or mailfacebook.com or some such that tricks your blackberry into thinking it came from the real fb

but, if someone invites you to facebook with your work account, then it won't know that it is in fact, you.

I hope that made sense....
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:11:14 AM EDT
[#6]
I had the exact type of e-mail show up last week.

5 unrelated current or former friends and co-workers of mine show up with invites to their Facebook accounts.

I asked one of my co-workers if he had any of the others as friends, he replied "no".

I'm thinking cookies in my computer looking at my contacts in Outlook.  

Not cool.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:11:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Skynet has become aware.

TRG
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:12:17 AM EDT
[#8]
People can select an option for FB to scan their contacts to invite friends. Then it spams everyone it finds. Its bullshit
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:14:16 AM EDT
[#9]
yeah, I am pretty sure this is pure 100% spam and I have not clicked any links on it.

but it just weirds me out to see these other people who the email says, I "might know" and I do know them, but to my memory I have never searched them on FB nor are they in my email address book.

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:15:22 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

People can select an option for FB to scan their contacts to invite friends. Then it spams everyone it finds. Its bullshit

ah... now that makes sense...

Link Posted: 3/10/2010 6:15:37 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Magic.

Yep, with a little VooDoo sprinkled in for good measure.

Facebook is the devil.
Link Posted: 3/10/2010 7:21:11 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Facebook is the devil.

this is true

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top