Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/13/2002 6:20:06 PM EDT
i know how to "tin" coper wire and do light electronic soldering but how do you silver soldier rifle parts together like a muzzle break on a barrel?
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:27:03 PM EDT
ive been wondering this myself. i always figured it was like soldering copper tubing
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:32:19 PM EDT
I learned this by putting ghost ring sights on my Mossberg 500. You need a hot torch; propane won't do. I used a single cylinder MAPP gas torch ($40 w/canister), and that was barely adequate. Probably 2 cylinder MAPP/oxygen is better. Also make sure you get really good silver solder (aka silver braze). The stuff you find at Home Depot (5%) just won't cut it. I bought some 55% stuff on ebay; that works great! Then the usual: Make sure the mating surfaces are thoroughly free of rust, dirt, grease, etc. I used alcohol or acetone to degrease them and a stainless steel brush to remove oxides. Any oxidation on the surface will keep the silver solder from wetting the steel. Keep the surfaces together with a vise and get them hot. I mean really hot. This ain't a circuit board. When the metal is red hot, push the solder into the joint until it flows. Then move it evenly & smoothly along the entire joint. After the solder is applied, I run the torch back & forth cross the joint several times to allow the solder ample opportunity to be pulled into the crevices. Basically, the principles are the same. You just need cleaner surfaces, different solder, and higher temperatures.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 6:37:02 PM EDT
Silver solder melts at a higher temp. than the solder used for wiring or plumming. The metal parts to be solderer together will have to be heated until they are red at the joint where the parts meet, before feeding the solder into the joint.
Link Posted: 9/13/2002 7:25:25 PM EDT
I got a poratble MAPP/OXY torch from Home Depot for around $50 that I use for smaller automotive work at my home shop. This may be suitable for silver soldering a muzzle brake on an AR15 barrel. The torch is called the 'Tote Torch' by Bernzomatic.
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 9:02:03 AM EDT
Can you TIG or heli arc weld a flash suppessor to the barrel to bring it to 16 inches, or will the weld warp the barrell??
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 11:25:26 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/14/2002 11:41:03 AM EDT
Top Top