Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/3/2003 12:21:10 PM EDT
I recently bought a laptop computer and i was wondering what's the best way to clean the screen.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:22:28 PM EDT
[#1]
ummmmmm  Windex?

Sgtar15

PS  It's just glass you know
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:24:38 PM EDT
[#2]
No sarge, its lexon or someshit.

Goto staples, there is a wipe you get.

Dont use windex!!
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:26:25 PM EDT
[#3]
ReallY???

Well I'll be damded
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:28:44 PM EDT
[#4]
Windex and a soft cloth.
Only time I use wipes is for my ass.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:28:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Yeah, next time you goto the store, poke the laptop screens with your finger. It make really funky colors!! (and the sales people love that!!)
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:36:01 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:38:29 PM EDT
[#7]
put it in the dish washer.
take it out before it hit's the dry cycle as the heat can warp the plastic.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:39:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Windex and a cloth.

Works fine, and none of the 150 laptops here at work have broken because of it.

Av.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:39:55 PM EDT
[#9]
Lint-free towelettes with a very minute amount of alcohol (it dries clean).
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:56:37 PM EDT
[#10]
...ammonia based cleaner.  It can damage the lcd cover and cause it to cloud.
View Quote

Exactly.  All of the LCD screens here at work are hard to read because the cleaning people keep using ammonia to clean the screens like they would a glass CRT.  On most of the brands we have, it pitted the plastic and made it cloudy.  On the SGI monitors, ammonia yellowed the plastic cover.  The reason we spent $2,000+ each for them was that they're color corrected.  Obviously, they're worthless for that purpose now that the screens are tinted.

Use soap and water to clean it like you would with any other soft plastic.  If you have hard to clean grease spot, like for example our receptionist who touches her screen often and eats KFC twice a week, you can get away with using diluted isopropyl alcohol.  Even then you still have to be careful.z
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 12:57:32 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Lint-free towelettes with a very minute amount of alcohol (it dries clean).
View Quote

Thats what the wipes are.

I'm just too lazy to build them myself.
Link Posted: 6/3/2003 1:03:40 PM EDT
[#12]
From a former technician working on portable computers:

DO NOT USE WINDEX!!!  DO NOT USE ANYTHING WITH AMMONIA IN IT!!!

Many LCD displays, while having a glass panel in them, also have a light plastic coating.  Ammonia will melt this, causing the display to become cloudy. It will also VOID your WARRANTY on the LCD.  

DO NOT USE WINDEX!!!

Mostly, I'd just use a soft cloth, with gentle pressure to rub out light marks.  And for God's sake, DON'T TOUCH IT WITH YOUR DAMN FINGERS.  It's a display, not a touchpad!  Keep it from getting spotted up in the first place!  (finger marks on monitors - one of my pet peeves)

Some stores like Office Depot or the like, will have LCD cleaning solutions specially formulated for laptop and LCD monitors.  I would ONLY use something that SPECIFICALLY states it is OK to use on LCD displays.  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top