Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 6/4/2003 5:21:30 AM EDT
I bought a couple of previously viewed DVD's from Hollywood Video the other day. no biggie, have done so in the past and saved quite a lot of money. this time was different with one of them. The movie [blue]Reign of Fire[/blue]. GF and I sat down to watch it.. noticed a couple things right off the bat; 1. no special features 2. no DTS 3. the letter [b]m[/b] in the upper left corner 4. movie didn't start out right (GF had seen in the theater, and said it was missing something in the beginning) 5. picture quality sucked, looked blurry, like it was an old film on VHS (not a sharp picture, and color was off) 6. disk was the goldish tint like some raw media (not silver, like every other dvd I have) I did notice that the disk label was printed on (NOT a sticker), so that had me puzzled. There is a warranty, so I took it back. I got the new one and the disk IS different, took it home and everything is as it should be. so, my SWAG is that someone had a bootleg from somewhere and rented the real thing and swapped it out when they returned it. Is there a way to spot 'fakes' w/o popping them in the player?
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:46:20 AM EDT
Technically, a "copy" isn't a "fake" unless it's mislabled. All dvd's are "copies", just some are legal and some are illegal (bootleg). If it were a "high quality" copy, you wouldn't be able to tell the difference by "watching" the movie. Nor would the color of the disk be a give away. However, the label usually, but not always, is of a clear & professional quality giving an indication of who produced the dvd. I wouldn't be surprised that someone would try to "fool" the rental folks by returning the "wrong" disk. I have watched dvd's that were "backed up" using DVD XCopy. You can't tell the copy from the original from watching it. However, most movies won't fit on one 4.7gb disc available at most retail outlets. Most movies are sold on dual layered dvd's that can contain around 9+gb of data. To produce this type of output requires expense equipment. There are "ripping" programs available that can copy and burn movies to one 4.7 gb dvd but there is usually a quality loss. There is one compression program available that could compress 9gb onto a 4.7gb disk with very little quality loss, but it is rather expense software mainly used by professional types. Once again, if someone where to use this program you probably wouldn't know unless someone told you. I have rented/purchased movies that I strongly believe were so compressed, but I can't prove it. It would reduce their costs of production with the buyer suffering the consequences.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 11:49:34 AM EDT
Production DVDs are DVD9s. They are pressed, not burned. If your DVD has more than 4.7gb (limits of burning), then it was pressed and therefore, would not be a bootleg.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:01:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2003 3:08:31 PM EDT by SeaDweller]
Check near the inside ring to see if it has a hologram bar code of some sort. Some even have the studio name in hologram and they all should have a bunch of hologram numbers. I just checked some of my DVD titles and they all have it.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 3:16:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/4/2003 3:17:31 PM EDT by Hellraiser]
That's a fake, someone downloaded the movie or did a poor quality dvd-rip (hence the M in the corner - a movie hackers trademark) and burned it to a cdr or dvd-r, did a silk-screen label and replaced the real dvd with the fake. Very easy to do. Edited to add: or it was Hong Kong VCD that someone swapped out for the real DVD.
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 6:24:52 PM EDT
Link Posted: 6/4/2003 9:57:29 PM EDT
[rofl2]
Top Top