Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/1/2001 4:44:18 PM EDT
Hello all.  I'm a new member with what is probably an old question.  I am looking specifically for AR15s (and variants) and Daewoo DR200s. It goes by serial number, right?  Are there any identifying features of the weapon itself (ex: did the preban DR200's come with a bayonet lug?)  Anyway, I have searched all over the net, even going so far as to look at the ATF site, and I can't find anything that tells what serial numbers are preban.  I couldn't even open Daewoo's site because I had to download some Korean symbol recognition software and my computer wouldn't take it.  If anyone can help me with this, I would greatly appreciate it.  Thank you.
Snail50    
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:50:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Serial numbers are the way to go.

Features can be added or subtracted at will, so are not a reliable indication of pre ban status.

Try www.biggerhammer.net
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 4:54:17 PM EDT
[#2]
I should add that the AR manufacturers (Colt, Armalite, Bushmaster, etc.) can probably tell you from your serial number.

Daewoo's may be a problem, but someone out there has the info you need.
Link Posted: 9/1/2001 6:59:08 PM EDT
[#3]
What determines what is "preban" is whether the rifle was assembled into an "assault weapon" configuration prior to 9-13-94.  That means it must have had the ability to accept a detachabe mag and two or more of the prohibited features prior to that date to be a preban.  For the most part, serial numbers can only definitely prove a weapon is a post ban, they cannot necessarily prove preban status.  Also note that if charged, the burden of proof falls on you to prove it was assembled in such a manner prior to the ban.  A manufacturer can tell you when a rifle or receiver left the factory, and in some cases they can tell in what configuration it left the factory.  If it left the factory prior to 9-13-94 with 2 or more assault features, you're pretty safe.  If, OTOH, it left the factory as a stripped receiver prior to the ban, you should get some other proof from the seller or person who possessed it on 9-13-94 to prove it had the necessary features on that date.

As to the DR200; I believe all came in the country after 1989, and are thus subject to the more stringent regulatory provisions under 18 USC 922(r) for imported weapons.  Thus even though they might have come in slightly before 1994, no one was making US replacement parts at the time, so they are subject to the 1994 AWB (18 USC 922(v)) also.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top