Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/7/2006 7:47:51 AM EDT
I know you must use something special to get the corrosive elements out of the bore. I ahve heard warm soapy water, and i have heard windex. both seem a little shady to me, is there any commercial bore cleaner or anything that will deal with corrosive deposits?  what are your methods? im worried that some of my older rifles (family) have seen a lot of corrosivr ammo and with buying surplus ammo they way it is, im not always sure if it is corrosove or not, and i don't want to risk it with my garand or m1 carbine or FAL.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Jservis
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:48:44 AM EDT
[#1]
Soapy water or windex
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:27:59 AM EDT
[#2]
Use hot water down the bore after a day of shooting, as well as over the bolt face. The water neutralizes the corrosive salts from the primers, and having it hot helps it evaporate. Dry it out and clean as regular.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:30:06 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:30:23 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:34:19 AM EDT
[#5]
the water does nothing, you need ammonia. Windex has it and works, or you could mix your own ammonia with hot water.

ETA: The ammonia nutralizes the corrosive residue, water may wash it off but why take the chance on ruining your gun
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:43:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:52:55 AM EDT
[#8]
A water based bore cleaner such as MPro7 works well.

Dennis Jenkins
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 8:54:51 AM EDT
[#9]
Traditional GI Bore Cleaner works, but hot soapy water is just as good and a lot cheaper.

In the field I usually run a dry brush a few times (the corrosive part is chlorate crystals), then annoit the innards with WD-40 to prevent rust on the way home to a decent cleaning.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:03:07 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 9:05:07 AM EDT
[#11]
Warm soapy water and windex or a bottle of ammonia.
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 4:05:59 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
the water does nothing, you need ammonia. Windex has it and works, or you could mix your own ammonia with hot water.

ETA: The ammonia nutralizes the corrosive residue, water may wash it off but why take the chance on ruining your gun

Incorrect, ammonia works on copper, it's the water that neutralizes the salts.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 5:10:04 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Wrong.  Internet myth.

You need water to flush out the corrosive salts.  Ammonia does not "neutralize" salt.  Windex works because it's mostly water.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top