Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 1/30/2011 5:48:09 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2011 6:01:03 PM EDT by dog-meat]
Buy luggage that can be locked shut without zippers.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:55:23 PM EDT

Actually, I think that's more like "How airport baggage handlers steal stuff out of your luggage."

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:57:45 PM EDT
Originally Posted By bcd:

"How airport baggage handlers steal stuff out of your luggage."

Much bigger problem...yes.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:58:36 PM EDT
I don't get it. Can't you just unzip the zipper like normal instead of using the pen?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:59:15 PM EDT
Uhhhh, TSA can just open the lock.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 5:59:56 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Credge:
I don't get it. Can't you just unzip the zipper like normal instead of using the pen?

Wrap the shit in plastic and go all third world style!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:03:09 PM EDT
Well, I don't have to worry about that...

All my luggage has Velcro.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:04:54 PM EDT
umm TSA opens and checks every bag at least on international flights i did baggage handleing for a few months last year they look through it and then stick a sticker on the baggage tag.

also aren't you supposed to have TSA locks? this seems like more of a a lock wont keep people out more then a TSA video.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:06:17 PM EDT
The guy from TSA swabbed my 642 for traces of explosive.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:08:37 PM EDT

And how exactly are you going to unzip a suit case with the zippers locked together?
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:09:28 PM EDT
If you have locks that the TSA can't open, they will just break your luggage open. It says it right at the check in counter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:10:53 PM EDT
Heres the thing, yes I worked for TSA before I joined the AF, TSA will get in your bag regardless of how you secure it, if they cant it wont fly and likely you wont either. The bigger problem is the baggage handlers who have more time and less concern about getting caught. With that said there have been and likely still are POS TSA baggage people that will steal your shit. if you have to check a bag why not just use a pellican case and request to be present for its screening. If you have a firearm you have to be there anyways so just pack it with all your other stuff. You can request it but you might end up with a dick that will say no.

When I worked there we had keys to not just the TSA approved locks but still not 100% chance that we had the key needed. I didnt like cutting peoples locks if I didnt have to so I would use the pen trick as well as many others to open bags, but always left the inspection notice when I am sure confused some people that thought they had secured thier bags.

Having worked for them I can tell you when I travel I dont check bags if I dont have to and prefer not to fly if I dont have to. TSA is a deterrent, nothing more.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:14:01 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Shrew:
Heres the thing, yes I worked for TSA before I joined the AF, TSA will get in your bag regardless of how you secure it, if they cant it wont fly and likely you wont either. The bigger problem is the baggage handlers who have more time and less concern about getting caught. With that said there have been and likely still are POS TSA baggage people that will steal your shit. if you have to check a bag why not just use a pellican case and request to be present for its screening. If you have a firearm you have to be there anyways so just pack it with all your other stuff. You can request it but you might end up with a dick that will say no.

When I worked there we had keys to not just the TSA approved locks but still not 100% chance that we had the key needed. I didnt like cutting peoples locks if I didnt have to so I would use the pen trick as well as many others to open bags, but always left the inspection notice when I am sure confused some people that thought they had secured thier bags.

Having worked for them I can tell you when I travel I dont check bags if I dont have to and prefer not to fly if I dont have to. TSA is a deterrent, nothing more.

To travel, not terrorism.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:14:43 PM EDT
Originally Posted By TheNamelessOne:
umm TSA opens and checks every bag at least on international flights i did baggage handleing for a few months last year they look through it and then stick a sticker on the baggage tag.

also aren't you supposed to have TSA locks? this seems like more of a a lock wont keep people out more then a TSA video.

They didn't for my international flight a few weeks ago. Well,at least they didn't leave any sticker and they stuffed everything back in the same way it was exactly if they did.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:15:11 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:23:27 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bohr_Adam:

Wrap the shit in plastic and go all third world style!

two thumbs up
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:24:54 PM EDT

Originally Posted By prov:

They didn't for my international flight a few weeks ago. Well,at least they didn't leave any sticker and they stuffed everything back in the same way it was exactly if they did.

musta changed i would get so pissed when the guy i worked with who started before me would fuck up and put one non TSA checked bag in the container. everything had to come out and we had to reload it double checking that they all were ok. It was always one of the last few bags to go on i guess he would get in a hurry to finish or just zone out.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:25:04 PM EDT
Here's another interesting note:

I was at my parents' home this year. I wanted to lock my luggage using the locks already on my luggage, but I didn't have the keys.

My dad gave me a key he had for totally different locks. It worked just fine on mine.

Safety is an illusion.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:26:02 PM EDT
I dont check baggage
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:28:28 PM EDT

And the TSA has lost so many of the keys that if you tell them that something is missing from your bag and the TSA lock is tripped they will just shrug.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:30:52 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Paul:
If you haven't flown in awhile you might not know that they cut locks that are not TSA openable - the TSA key is nothing more than a triange shape that opens the lock - so lose your lock or fly with a TSA approved lock.

Didn't know that. I haven't been on a plane since the 90s.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:31:42 PM EDT
Originally Posted By c0t0d0s0:

And the TSA has lost so many of the keys that if you tell them that something is missing from your bag and the TSA lock is tripped they will just shrug.

I quit locking my bags when the TSA lock thing went into effect - no point.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 6:39:35 PM EDT
I don't put anything in my checked bags that anyone would want to steal. If my underclothing and boots are something they'd want to steal,
then they're so destitute that I don't mind helping them out a little.

My return trips must be fun for baggage screeners. I collect my used underclothing and let it get nice and ripe and when it's time to leave to
go home, I arrange it nicely on the top layer of the bag. If they want to go rooting through rancid polished cotton, they can be my guest.

It's sort of an area denial munition. Maybe even a biochemical weapon.

CJ
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:03:54 PM EDT
Goons don't have to pick your locks when TSA is more than happy to unlock them.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:16:54 PM EDT
Originally Posted By prov:

This.

I worked in 6 foreign countries last year and not one of my bags was opened. My bags were checked a few times by the TSA on the 14 roundtrip flights I took in the States though.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:53:38 PM EDT

No... not if the two zippers are locked together...

That pen trick would be the only way to open luggage, and take stuff out, and close it back up and make it look like it was never tampered with.

That being said, this trick is only useful for outsider criminals... IE it wouldn't be as useful for TSA, since...well they have access to keys.

Although, access to those keys might be controlled. A TSA agent down the line with no access to those keys, and away from other peering eyes... COULD use this method.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 7:59:12 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Bhart89:

+18374739. I'm in uniform 99% of the time I am flying anywhere. Don't know why I have to take off my fucking boots just because they have a metal shank and set off the alarm. Stupid fucks.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:08:30 PM EDT

This^^^^ and they have permission to open ones they can't. (if it is suspicious) My philosophy is don't put things i don't want stolen in my luggage. Leave it home, use something cheaper in it's place. I also buy old luggage from the second hand store. They will steal quicker from something that says Gucci than if it has a "Goodwill" price tag still on it!
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:17:16 PM EDT
Originally Posted By dog-meat:

If you haven't flown in awhile you might not know that they cut locks that are not TSA openable - the TSA key is nothing more than a triange shape that opens the lock - so lose your lock or fly with a TSA approved lock

That is not true.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:22:57 PM EDT
Ain't that a bitch
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 8:40:18 PM EDT
locks only keep honest people honest.

I lock my TravelPro bag zippers together, but if the zipper is compromised as per the video, the way the zippers are locked together, they will not be able to reseal the bag.. I do have TSA locks on it.. so never fool proof.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 9:08:07 PM EDT

Originally Posted By RED_5:
locks only keep honest people honest.

I lock my TravelPro bag zippers together, but if the zipper is compromised as per the video, the way the zippers are locked together, they will not be able to reseal the bag.. I do have TSA locks on it.. so never fool proof.
That term... makes no sense.

It implies that the only thing from keeping an honest person from becoming dishonest,... is a simple easy to break lock. I would say, a person who would steal from an unlocked suitcase... is quite dishonest.

"Locks are for lazy thieves." That's more accurate
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:19:51 PM EDT
The last four years in a row, every single time I travel to Florida, they have serched my shit and left the card. One time one of the goons even left me a stanley razor knife that he used to cut into my frozen yellowtail fillets.

Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:28:19 PM EDT
So if you check a firearm and the lock is not TSA approved are they going to cut it off and risk arming some nut on the tarmac? Not the dumbest thing the TSA would do but its close.
Link Posted: 1/30/2011 10:49:09 PM EDT
Carry on luggage FTFMW!

I went to Europe for 2 weeks with one carry on bag and a laptop backback. I will never check luggage. EVER!

S
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:20:36 AM EDT
Originally Posted By NPH_1985:
So if you check a firearm and the lock is not TSA approved are they going to cut it off and risk arming some nut on the tarmac? Not the dumbest thing the TSA would do but its close.

No. Firearms can and should be locked with a non-TSA lock.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 5:50:07 AM EDT
I'm kinda ticked off because I just discovered that the TSA busted my (integral) TSA-approved lock on my suitcase during my last flight. It was working fine prior to them opening it and now it won't lock, on any number. Bastards.

Oh yeah and they love to open your stuff. I'm surprised they didn't partake of the stuff I brought back from my fall 2010 trip to TN:

I was really expecting the seals on the jars to be broken but I guess the TSA guy wasn't thirsty.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:07:01 AM EDT
Originally Posted By wesmerc:
I dont check baggage

Carry on only, stays with me.

RED OXX makes USA bags with Mil material and big zippers. Sized for airline travel. Very high quality. I keep one packed in my truck in case I have to take an emergency flight.

traveling info GOLD
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:10:39 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:15:36 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 6:16:47 AM EDT by raysheen]

Originally Posted By dougez1:

If you haven't flown in awhile you might not know that they cut locks that are not TSA openable - the TSA key is nothing more than a triange shape that opens the lock - so lose your lock or fly with a TSA approved lock

That is not true.

Do you have inside information that says that he has, in fact, been on a plane since the 90s? Why would he lie to us?

I hate flying...I usually bring a gun with me when I travel and I don't like the idea of a TSA approved lock between anyone and my gun case...such is life I guess.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 6:29:21 AM EDT
Originally Posted By PaintItBlack:

They swabbed my snubbie too. Fucking sharp workers, they have.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:03:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2011 7:04:05 AM EDT by ADaughen]
Who needs to break zippers? My sister had a digital picture frame loaded with family photos for g-ma and diamond bracelet (her's from her husband) removed from her luggage as "unapproved travel devices" Christmas '09, per the form Tampa TSA put in their place.

TSA didn't do anything about the theft. She filed a claim and was told tough luck, six months later.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 7:14:30 AM EDT
Originally Posted By OIF_Vet08-09:

+18374739. I'm in uniform 99% of the time I am flying anywhere. Don't know why I have to take off my fucking boots just because they have a metal shank and set off the alarm. Stupid fucks.

well sorry GI Joe

unsure if you know this , but military arent above the law, nor are they incapable of breaking the law / terrorism.

Maj Hassan...he was military,...but wait..we should just let assholes like him on planes unchecked too right? He cant do harm, he is a MAJOR afterall in the Army. Then there are former military..McVey....DC Sniper...etc...but wait...they were military...again they couldnt do harm. I forgot.

Doesnt matter who anyone is, everyone has to be treated as a potential threat.

Stupid fucks.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:13:05 AM EDT
Originally Posted By cmjohnson:
I don't put anything in my checked bags that anyone would want to steal. If my underclothing and boots are something they'd want to steal,
then they're so destitute that I don't mind helping them out a little.

My return trips must be fun for baggage screeners. I collect my used underclothing and let it get nice and ripe and when it's time to leave to
go home, I arrange it nicely on the top layer of the bag. If they want to go rooting through rancid polished cotton, they can be my guest.

It's sort of an area denial munition. Maybe even a biochemical weapon.

CJ

It is oddly reassuring that I am not the only one who does this.

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:19:20 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Dieter122:
Originally Posted By OIF_Vet08-09:

Doesnt matter who anyone is, everyone has to be treated as a potential threat.

Stupid fucks.

Unless they are badged, of course.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:30:01 AM EDT
One of the main reasons I don't fly anymore.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:32:18 AM EDT
Another reason valuables are carried on.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:32:53 AM EDT
brotip:

always travel with a firearm, handgun preferred.. you can put a handgun in a small soft case, and keep that soft case in any type of luggage you want. you now have permission to lock the large case with any kind of big fucking lock you want, and they are not allowed to open it after your pre-screened and the handgun is checked in, in your presence..
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 8:41:18 AM EDT
Buy luggage that can be locked shut without zippers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mf-DGKUNffI

ok. im just gonna tell you, that this threat title is a complete fail. i dont care what kind of suitcase you have, or how you lock it...

i was returning from a trip, with the national guard, to south america. out dufflebags were searched in south america before we put them on the luggage conveyor. all you military guys know how tight a duffle bag gets packed, and how hard they are to repack. .. mine was searched, had a piece of security tape attached to it saying it had been searched. i reattached my padlock.

we arrived at miami airport. im waiting for my bag, when out of the converor hole loose clothes start coming out, socks, t shirts, dirty underwear, a boot, ather odds and ends. then out comes my dufflebag, wide open. i was a mad, mad, pissed off guy that day. i rounded up my shit, and found my padlock, taped to a piece of paper, saying that tsa, had cut the lock with bolt cutters, and searched my bag, for safety reasons. apparently the fuck sticks could not reshut it, and just threw it onto the conveyor...

so, put any kind of lock you want, they will just cut it off.
Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:26:02 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PaintItBlack:

Link Posted: 1/31/2011 9:31:22 AM EDT

That's not true.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top