Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/5/2006 4:45:41 AM EDT
I use a NG powered hot water heater for the hot water in the house. The current boiler is about 20 years old. Should I replace it?

I was told to replace them within 10-15 years. Is there any reason why? Do metals start coming out into the hot water?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:48:06 AM EDT
[#1]
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

My hot water heater is at least 20 years old and still works like a charm. One day it will crap out and that is when I will replace it, not before.

Link Posted: 4/5/2006 4:54:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I've been having some type of skin breakout for over 2 years now and it seems to worsen during winter and somewhat leave in the summer. I've gone to an allergist and a dermatologist w/o any success. One of my guesses is that in the summer I don't shower with much heated water. Could the hot water boiler have something inside of it that is releasing heavy metals or metals or some type of substance? The boiler was already used for about 18 years before I moved in.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:15:37 AM EDT
[#3]
Get the water tested if you suspect that is the cause.

Contact your local Extension Agent, and he can direct you to where you can get it tested.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:17:19 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:25:58 AM EDT
[#5]
You would cough up last Easters candy if you saw the inside of that thing.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:37:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Does your water come from a well? If so it's a good idea to have the water tested. Your might have hard water high mineral content.
As far as your water heater if it hasn't failed I wouldn't replace it.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:43:19 AM EDT
[#7]
The boiler still works and the water comes from Detroit Water.
When I lived in Troy, I did not have any problems but then again I lived in a fairly modern apartment. Troy gets its water from Detroit Water as well.

I moved to a house that had a 20 year old boiler. The allergist says I am allergic to dust mites. I told her that dust mites are practically everywhere and I never had a problem for several decades. She then said it could be trees like birch

In the summer I basically turn off the boiler and just use whatever warm water is warmed by the pilot light. has anyone torn apart a boiler? what is it made of and what type of metals are used?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:46:30 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I've been having some type of skin breakout for over 2 years now and it seems to worsen during winter and somewhat leave in the summer. I've gone to an allergist and a dermatologist w/o any success. One of my guesses is that in the summer I don't shower with much heated water. Could the hot water boiler have something inside of it that is releasing heavy metals or metals or some type of substance? The boiler was already used for about 18 years before I moved in.

What is causing your skin problems is more than likely your heat source. It sounds like you have gas heat and it is very dry. This causes your skin to dry out. I know, this happens to me as well. It has nothing to do with your water and how often you shower. In the summer you sweat more and there is more humidity in the air allowing your skin to have a higher moisture content.

There should be absolutely NO heavy metals in your hot water heater that could get into the water itself. Most have fiberglass tanks anyway, no metal.

FYI, you do not have a boiler you have a water heater. There is a big difference in the two, BTW.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 5:58:20 AM EDT
[#9]
You're right, I am using gas fireplaces but the humidity levels in the room are above the norm. I have some Walmart thermometer /humidity meters that read above 75% humidity in the room. Sometimes it is above 90% in the winter.

The allergist said that is too high and to get a dehumidifier

So it's definitely not the water heater?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:01:38 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

I concur with rebel_rifle that it could be the dry winter air.  I used to have painful headaches due to my sinuses drying up during the winter.

Buy one of those relative humidity meters that Wal-Mart has for about 5 bucks.  If it shows that your air is too dry, a humidifier is $20-30.  That will help as will regular skin lotion.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:05:01 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I concur with rebel_rifle that it could be the dry winter air.  I used to have painful headaches due to my sinuses drying up during the winter.

Buy one of those relative humidity meters that Wal-Mart has for about 5 bucks.  If it shows that your air is too dry, a humidifier is $20-30.  That will help as will regular skin lotion.

They show 80%-99%
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:05:02 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You're right, I am using gas fireplaces but the humidity levels in the room are above the norm. I have some Walmart thermometer /humidity meters that read above 75% humidity in the room. Sometimes it is above 90% in the winter.

The allergist said that is too high and to get a dehumidifier

So it's definitely not the water heater?

You have gas heat and you still have humidity that high? Where do you live?

I personally do not see how it could be the water heater. I would think like some of the others have suggested, it could be the water itself. If you are concerned, have it tested.

Most, if not all, hot water heaters have tanks of either fiberglass or some other non toxic metal. Unless you are allergic to some of the other metals used, maybe but then again I would think you still would see it year round. But then again, I'm no doctor, nor do I play one on TV.

Have the water tested and go from there. You may end up replacing a perfectly good water heater and still have the same problems. Go with the cheapest fix first.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:05:09 AM EDT
[#13]
if your water heater is boiling then you have more imminant problems to deal with then dry skin.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:09:21 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:10:27 AM EDT
[#15]
I replaced mine because I live in a condo, and didn't want to wait until it leaked into
the unit below me.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 6:18:32 AM EDT
[#16]
Hot water doesn't need to be heated.

Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:45:27 AM EDT
[#17]
Update: I got a dehumidifier and the humidity went from 75%-90% down to 45%-50%. It's retrieving about half a gallon of water in a few hours
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top