Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/12/2013 12:17:14 AM EDT
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1048054_4763078807714_289200016_o.jpg My friend is a homeless veteran living in Oregon, and for the last year he's documented his lifestyle with hundreds of pics of himself, his dog, and his cat out in the mountains. He's using the pics for a book project to help himself get back on his feet. He's a former member here but said he hasn't posted since a year or so after he got back from OIF. Worth sharing. Thanks.veteran book project
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 12:22:20 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-d-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash3/1048054_4763078807714_289200016_o.jpg My friend is a homeless veteran living in Oregon, and for the last year he's documented his lifestyle with hundreds of pics of himself, his dog, and his cat out in the mountains. He's using the pics for a book project to help himself get back on his feet. He's a former member here but said he hasn't posted since a year or so after he got back from OIF. Worth sharing. Thanks.veteran book project
View Quote

A .mil buddy of mine was homeless for many many years. 24 hour fitness membership, a ruck sack, bicycle and a hammock. Didn't nothing but work construction and odd jobs in between. One of the most financially stable guys I know with a house, car and motorcycle he bought with cash.

I hope this works out for your friend.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:44:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I wish nothing but the best for your friend.

Off topic, but I'm wondering why his claim was denied countless times? My claim's took some time, and I had a PoA from the town hall who helped in expediting my claims.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 1:57:23 AM EDT
[#3]
For some people the transition from the military back to civilian life is really difficult.

My experience was going from a daily structure in the Marines to standing in the street in La Jolla after leaving Camp Pendleton. That first week I was so lost I didn't know what to do. I was lucky to have friends and family, otherwise I really don't know what I would have done. Even though they didn't understand my confusion.

That one week of separations platoon was BS, we did nothing but lay in the rack and look at the ceiling.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:32:32 AM EDT
[#4]
Cool project- wish I heard of it earlier. I can't believe the amazing pics he's getting with a phone.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 2:47:04 AM EDT
[#5]
posted it to facebook
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 3:01:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
For some people the transition from the military back to civilian life is really difficult.

My experience was going from a daily structure in the Marines to standing in the street in La Jolla after leaving Camp Pendleton. That first week I was so lost I didn't know what to do. I was lucky to have friends and family, otherwise I really don't know what I would have done. Even though they didn't understand my confusion.

That one week of separations platoon was BS, we did nothing but lay in the rack and look at the ceiling.
View Quote

Me, when I got out of the Navy, I was walking along a beach thinking I had to be less militaristic thinking, less suspicious of people.

Then, a short time later, I am working for a rape crisis center as a volunteer, someone calls up, asks where we are, I tell them and afterwards, a staff member says, "Don't tell them that immediately! Find out first why they want to know!"

SIGH......some things don't change that much!
________________________________________________________________________________________________________
("It's really great seeing you again, old buddy!"--Ben, (w,stte), "The Eiger Sanction")
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:55:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the responses and sharing! Thank you all for your service too. I know it's difficult adjusting to a life back here after military service. To be specific his claim has been denied twice, the first time because he has said he didn't list a stressor, but that the VA's rules stated you didn't have to after an OIF or OEF tour, so they went against their own policy. The second time for a more bs "delay it again" reason. He thinks it will be approved the third time, but he's not certain he would up and change his lifestyle to quickly if he could. Nor does he want to have to depend on the VA, eventually he wants to do well for himself, but it's been tough overcoming the situation for him up to this point. This project is a good opportunity for him.
He says there's a lot of homeless veterans in the Illinois valley around Cave Junction, Oregon that live in the outdoors, living off the land and whatever they can, some without cell phones od any connection to the world, it seems to be a haven for them. Some of these veterans winter at "the Dom", the domicillary, at the VA in White City, Oregon. If people really only knew. But it seems some of them choose this lifestyle because it's the only way they really know or can manage.
Again thank you all for sharing.
Link Posted: 9/12/2013 5:56:52 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Me, when I got out of the Navy, I was walking along a beach thinking I had to be less militaristic thinking, less suspicious of people.

Then, a short time later, I am working for a rape crisis center as a volunteer, someone calls up, asks where we are, I tell them and afterwards, a staff member says, "Don't tell them that immediately! Find out first why they want to know!"

________________________________________________________________________________________________________
("It's really great seeing you again, old buddy!"--Ben, (w,stte), "The Eiger Sanction")
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

No one cares.  Welcome to ignore
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top