Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/7/2002 5:12:44 PM EDT
I am going shooting this week and was reloading some .45's and I started customizing some of the rounds on a couple I got a hack saw blade and cut 2 lines into it hoping when it expands it goes into 4 pieces I also drilled a small hole in the tops of a few others is there any danger to the gun by doing this? Mainly I just want to see what kind of effect this does to a fired bullet.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:27:03 PM EDT
[#1]
NO, I don't think its going to hurt your 45 as long as you are loading a safe pressure to start with.

Why bother drilling holes when you can buy hollowpoint bullets for your reloading?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah I know but it was just a spur of the moment thing just for the fun of it.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:01:58 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you’re making sure the cuts are concentric, I could see the bullets wobbling their way downrange.

Hopefully you’re not doing this with full metal jacket bullets.  They’re open at the base already.  If you greatly weaken the jacket in front, it’s conceivable the jacket could get stuck in the barrel while the lead core is blown out of the jacket.  The next bullet down the barrel makes a real mess!

I’ve heard of this happening when shooters try to convert FMJ rifle bullets to expanding bullets by grinding off the nose of the jacket (essentially making them soft points).  I don't know if it's an issue with handguns.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Fill them with garlic so you can kill vampires.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:29:43 PM EDT
[#5]
No these aren't FMJ's just normal ball I guess that it what its called.
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:31:19 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:38:26 PM EDT
[#7]
About ten years ago I bought a Corbin press with a bunch of dies.  From this I was able to make just about every type of bullet style and shape.  Mostly I concentrated on frangible bullets for handguns.  With a little bit of trial and error you will be amazed what you can build.  Unfortunately for me the lawyer from a rather large frangible bullet company decided to sue me.  Met some great guys through this.  Joe Z. the inventor of MagSafe.  Also the owner of Burger Bullets.  So now I have thousands of frangible bullets that I shootmyself and give to friends.  Oh yea, to answer your question.  Instead of cutting the lead try scoring the jackets instead.  If you want to get some rather "inside" info, E-Mail me.  bybon
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:42:55 PM EDT
[#8]
What the hell did I do wrong?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 8:48:15 PM EDT
[#9]
So what do you call the slugs with no jacket?
Link Posted: 1/7/2002 9:09:20 PM EDT
[#10]
With no jacket it would be LRN (Lead Round Nose).
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 10:07:16 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 1/9/2002 11:11:57 AM EDT
[#12]
One time I made Wax bullets and plastic bullets, (by melting the plastic and molding them with my bullet mold) I was using a very light powder load they were very fun to shoot in the backyard and garage the plastic ones where braking bottles I was impressed but what a mess on the barrel.
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 1:16:44 AM EDT
[#13]
If you want explosive bullets, try a thin jacket filled with #9 shot.  A certain number of#9 shot granules were swaged into a slug, and put into a bullet jacket.  I did this with bullet jackets made from 22 lr hulls.  I made a few of these with .22 short hulls - when finished they looked like the .45 speer flying ashtrays.    

Can't push them very fast from a .223, but when fired at a pop can filled with water, only little fragments reached the other side.  On a milk jug, nothing touched the other side.

You could pull the same trick with .45's with commercial jackets without the epoxy nose.  The core should hold together through the firing cycle.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2002 2:15:12 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
If you want explosive bullets, try a thin jacket filled with #9 shot.  A certain number of#9 shot granules were swaged into a slug, and put into a bullet jacket
View Quote

Can you say [U]Glasser Safety Slugs[/U]. Thats how they are made (same shot size too!). I have some on hand for a possible intruder as they are [I]not supposed[/I] to over penetrate.

[b]BEWARE[/B] don't end up like Bybon [see his previous message].
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top