Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 5/22/2005 6:41:41 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 6:55:23 PM EDT by Aim4MyHead]
so i was preping the barrel on my new ar-10. My optics haven't arrived yet so i was shooting at 50 yards indoors at a 45lbs weight to help slow down the 150gr bullet. The closest outdoor range is closed at dusk and is usually full of yahoos during the day. We placed the weight infront of the bullet trap . The splash back wasn't too fun. I was shattered two light blubs at the 25 yard line and i got small piece stuck in my hair. I had no idea how cool .308 is! I think i'm in love.

front

back

the small holes are steel core .223 btw.None of which went all the way through.

J
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:42:45 PM EDT
Smart.

Cool pics.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:44:49 PM EDT
Real smart move. And you're a cop? I sure as shit wouldn't want you protecting and serving my town
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:46:08 PM EDT
I'm sure thi is a joke, funny tho!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:46:14 PM EDT
Slick idea for a target...

Wonder if the gym would notice a few weights gon missing
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:46:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By roboman:
Real smart move. And you're a cop? I sure as shit wouldn't want you protecting and serving my town

Ouch man.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:51:26 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 6:53:50 PM EDT by Aim4MyHead]
not really seeing the problem with my little expirment. The range was shut down. I was the only person in there with doubled up ear protection and eye protection. i wouldn't do anything that wasn't safe. For crying out loud i'm a range master for my dept. There was nothing dangerous about it. If you've ever shot IPSC you get hit with splash back all the time at much closer distances. you guys act like i standing on top of the freaking thing rapid firing into a trap.lets remove the stick from our ass ya pricks.

J
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:54:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aim4MyHead:
not really seeing the problem with my little expirment. The range was shut down. I was the only person in there with doubled up ear protection and eye protection. i wouldn't do anything that wasn't safe. For crying out loud i'm a range master for my dept. There was nothing dangerous about it. If you've ever shot IPSC you get hit with splash back all the time at much closer distances. you guys act like i standing on top of the freaking thing rapid firing into a trap.lets remove the stick from our ass ya pricks.

J

So I guess you said to hell with lifting weights huh?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:54:34 PM EDT

I dont see what the problem was either. Cool pictures though. I would have done the same thing if I was given the oportunity.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:54:46 PM EDT
I was told if you hang them from something then the deflection goes into the ground.

Gotta rig it so it doesn't spin either.

Not that I think what J did was UN-safe.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 6:56:59 PM EDT
Makes me want to pick up a .308.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:00:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By JarheadChiro:
I was told if you hang them from something then the deflection goes into the ground.

Gotta rig it so it doesn't spin either.

Not that I think what J did was UN-safe.

i stood the weight up with sand bags on both sides. The trap behind the weight is at a slope. so the what was left from the bullet went up and into the trap system after passing through the 1" &1/4 weight. out of 11 rounds i was hit with a piece the size of my pencil eraser once. The weight had to reset after each shot. Which is fine b/c i had to clean the barrel after each shot it.
Another point i would like to make is that every shot i take with this rifle may not be at 300-500 yards. I need to be aware of what this rifle is like up close as well.

J
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:00:45 PM EDT
I don't think it was unsafe, either. What happened to the guy who was holding it?

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:03:58 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:07:19 PM EDT
Everyone gets stupid once in a while thats how Darwinism works. Dont call when the a chunk of metal is sticking out of a part of you body.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:08:50 PM EDT

For crying out loud i'm a range master for my dept. J

"I'm the only one here professional enough to...."
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:12:20 PM EDT
It's amazing what a .308 will rip through.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:13:21 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:13:37 PM EDT
i still have a recovering would from .45 bouncing back at me, shooting from 20 yards
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:16:00 PM EDT
.308, metal, and 50yards is not a good combination
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:21:22 PM EDT
what a bunch of babies... the weight is cast anyway, it just cracks up.

J
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:21:32 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:26:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Aimless:
50 yards is kind of close for .308, um not that I haven't done it, but at least I had suspended targets that would (hopefully) move when hit and deflect the round back down toward the ground.

.308 is a great round, you're just getting one?

the round was being deflected. it went THROUGH the weight into a trap syetem.
I've never messed with .308 really other than a bolt action rifle i never really shot. I was really surprised how smooth this rifle is.

J
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:36:19 PM EDT
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:40:34 PM EDT
So, I'm thinking... 44.7 lbs. now?
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 7:46:22 PM EDT
Like it eh? Try shooting an M1 Garand with 168 grain Black Tip AP Ammo.

If you want to only shooting 308 FMJ ammo for tactical situations, get ammo made by Hirtenberger.

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:32:28 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 8:33:30 PM EDT by lippo]

Originally Posted By CMB69:

For crying out loud i'm a range master for my dept. J

"I'm the only one here professional enough to...."

Yep! Real smooth chief!

Nice rifle though!
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 8:41:11 PM EDT
Looks like fun. Sweet rifle by the way.

Here's my brother in law shooting my M1A at the orange steel target. It's a lot of fun.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:00:29 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bostonterrier97:

If you want to only shooting 308 FMJ ammo for tactical situations, get ammo made by Hirtenberger.

I thought Garands are only supposed to be fed 150 grain rounds, because higher pressures can damage the operating rod.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:09:24 PM EDT
You should stick to those cool .308 airsoft machine guns, dude. They're, like, totally rad.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:19:06 PM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

I thought Garands are only supposed to be fed 150 grain rounds, because higher pressures can damage the operating rod.

If you were talking commercial ammo you would be on the right track.

Black tipped armor piercing stuff is mil surp. Perfectly safe for the rifle.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:28:59 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/22/2005 9:30:46 PM EDT by Epsilon]
Ohhh please. Here comes the choir about how unsafe it is. Thank you mothers.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:31:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Epsilon:
Ohhh please. Here comes the choir about how unsafe it is. Thank you mothers.

I said on the right track.
I did not say that I agreed with "them".
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:37:18 PM EDT

I said on the right track.
I did not say that I agreed with "them".

Hahha no not you. I ment the guys talking about how unsafe it was to shoot the weight.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 9:43:57 PM EDT
Awwww the 308, try a FAL they are fun to shoot also.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:05:45 PM EDT
I''ll step in with the Mothers. Pretty damn unsafe. (I'm going to assume that the .223 that didn't go through were shot outdoors and you can tell us where they went. You can tell us where they went can't you?)

If you're so ignorant of the physics potential actions of the various bullet parts then you are too ignorant to understand more than "pretty damn unsafe".

Cast iron in and of itself is a marginal target material at close range. If only because it can crack or break with shrapnel resulting. If it doesn't crack or break all those bullet fragments have to go someplace. If you are lucky, like in this combination they penetrated. As you can see the .223s didn't.

Somebody mentioned reading about tilting at 10 degrees, Thats for shooting with lead bullets, they splatter.

Conservation of momentum applies and if the target is able to move it can absorb a lot of energy from the bullet. If heavily weighted down, it doesn't move and all the momentum is contained in all the bullet fragments. And if shooting various military bullets with more substantial cores , especially but not limited to AP cores, those cores can come back at velocities close to the impact velocity. (Possibly even faster actually). And uneven surfaces such as those on the weight can cause erratic and unpredictable bullet performance.

I have a piece of railroad rail I've held on to to remind me of my younger days. It has a few holes through the web, courtesy of 30-06 AP, and some big dimples from .308. Thoase fragments came all the way back to the firing line and luckily bounced off glasses, and one fragment went through two layers of heavy leather gunbelts and three layers of blue jean material and stil penetrated about 1/4".

Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:27:47 PM EDT
Not alot of brain power in this one.
Link Posted: 5/22/2005 10:46:41 PM EDT

I was the only person in there with doubled up ear protection and eye protection. i wouldn't do anything that wasn't safe.

J

Unless we are talking about shooting a steel target with a .308 round at 50 yards apparently.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:16:32 AM EDT

Originally Posted By thelastgunslinger:

It's the type of powder that is used to drive the bullet that causes the problem, not the weight of the bullet.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:25:16 AM EDT
glad I read the post. First time I saw the topic, thought it said .380 neat-0 .
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:33:10 AM EDT
www.big-boys.com/articles/targetshot.html

i've gotten worse at the indoor range in tpa.

i see people catch jackets every time i'm there.

so grandmas, how is the angled plates at the range, indoor, 30 yds, safer than the angled plate in the great outdoors?

paranoia is great. unless it makes you stupid.

Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:36:36 AM EDT
Glad you like the .308 and it is a very nice rifle, just one tiny thing.

Take that target out past 100 yards since it could come back at'cha

I see not any problem with your target but you need to open up the safety zone on a 308 when shooting within 100 yards at metalic targets.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 1:43:05 AM EDT

You seem to make a habit of posting before you think.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:02:50 AM EDT
Somebody always has to find something to complain about. It ain't like he was shooting it downtown.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:14:43 AM EDT
I love my .308! I put a water jug behind a tree awhile back. My brother shot the tree about 30 times with his AR, and the jug was perfectly safe. I took one shot with the DPMS308 and vaporized the jug.

Cover? not much is gonna work short of a foxhole or sandbagged DFP
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:39:11 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 3:42:49 AM EDT by submoa1]

50 yards is kind of close for .308, um not that I haven't done it, but at least I had suspended targets that would (hopefully) move when hit and deflect the round back down toward the ground.

.308 is a great round, you're just getting one?

the round was being deflected. it went THROUGH the weight into a trap syetem.
I've never messed with .308 really other than a bolt action rifle i never really shot. I was really surprised how smooth this rifle is.

J

Shoot a FAL for a few hundred rounds sometime. Its hard to go back to the mouse guns.
RAT GUNS RULE!!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 3:48:19 AM EDT
YOU'LL PUT YOUR EYE OUT KID!
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 4:07:00 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PaDanby:

Conservation of momentum applies and if the target is able to move it can absorb a lot of energy from the bullet. If heavily weighted down, it doesn't move and all the momentum is contained in all the bullet fragments. And if shooting various military bullets with more substantial cores , especially but not limited to AP cores, those cores can come back at velocities close to the impact velocity. (Possibly even faster actually). And uneven surfaces such as those on the weight can cause erratic and unpredictable bullet performance.

How the heck does that work? Unless physics has taken a turn for the queer in your area, how does a chunk of metal GAINS velocity after striking a surface and coming back? You are suggesting that not only it doesn't lose ANY momentum after striking metal, it somehow gets even MORE?
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:01:03 AM EDT

308's a big difference from 223. I bought one of those cubes at the gunshow that you can shoot with a rifle and they'll hop around some. I took it to my range on the way home and started popping with an AR I had with me. When I shot it it would roll along the grass away from me down the range. There were a couple of guys with FALs there, I told them to shoot it, it flew up in the air higher than my head from the 308 round.

I went shooting three weeks ago and one of my compadres brought a large Maxwell House can. I nailed it with my Garand and it went sailing 50 feet into the air.

.30 cal has some serious power! I f'ing HATE it in the movies where they portray some monster getting hit by a rifle round and remaining unfazed. What bullshit! Battle rifles can destroy cover positions unless there's some serious steel there. A car is not enough, until you hide behind the engine block.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:03:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 5/23/2005 7:04:13 AM EDT by FLAL1A]
Everybody who shoots my .308 semis (L1A1s) grins like a drooling idiot after the second shot. You just can't stop smiling while shooting one.

I had a similar experience, shooting ordinary 147gr FMJ at 1/2" steel plate @ 50yds. Drilled right through.

Good on ya'. Enjoy.
Link Posted: 5/23/2005 7:38:12 AM EDT

Originally Posted By FLAL1A:
Everybody who shoots my .308 semis (L1A1s) grins like a drooling idiot after the second shot. You just can't stop smiling while shooting one.

I had a similar experience, shooting ordinary 147gr FMJ at 1/2" steel plate @ 50yds. Drilled right through.

Good on ya'. Enjoy.

I commited to a $1300 purchase for a DSA FAL after one Mag full from a nice guy at the range. I had a grin that went from ear to ear after that. Made my .223 feel like an air rifle.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top