Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 3/6/2002 7:14:41 PM EDT
Help!!! i am going hog hunting this weekend with my bush AR-15 and a SIG P220 (just 4 fun w/ the sig) . anyway i need some tips. thanks guys!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:16:43 PM EDT
Don't miss. [;)]
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:21:04 PM EDT
They have a nocturnal tendency, reinforced by hunting pressure. Hunt EARLY. They don't like to be far from water. Hunt creeks, draws, low spots, etc. A topo map can really help plan your hunt. They leave prodigous sign, namely wallows. Oh, yeah. Don't miss.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:25:37 PM EDT
ok thanks. i will take that info and use it. any and all other help is greatly accepted!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:27:16 PM EDT
If this is to be an ongoing thing, bait them. Dig a hole about 24" deep, fill with soured corn and sour milk. cover with 2" of dirt. They will return and root until all of the corn is gone.....fullclip
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:33:53 PM EDT
lol ok sounds like a good idea
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 7:35:43 PM EDT
Be very aware of the fact that hogs aren't black and white, nor do they have horns!
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 9:10:14 PM EDT
i hear some have tusks.
Link Posted: 3/6/2002 10:37:03 PM EDT
When you're sure its dead, shoot it again.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 8:32:33 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:39:24 AM EDT
Originally Posted By fullclip: If this is to be an ongoing thing, bait them. Dig a hole about 24" deep, fill with soured corn and sour milk. cover with 2" of dirt. They will return and root until all of the corn is gone.....fullclip
View Quote
He's right. Bait is the #1 way to take the guesswork out of hog hunting. Feeders dispensing corn are my favorite way. Just plain old regular corn will do JUST fine. This helps train them to come to the area at dusk and dawn. Some people swear by holes, but in some places you just can't dig without dynamite. Also, the feeders are a bit more low-maintenance. Just put one out and come back in a week or two. The Game Country 16-gallon hanging feeder with a Moultrie (small) varmint cage works very well. Set to dispense for 3-seconds at a time, it will last close to 6 weeks at a time without being refilled. With its all-metal construction, it is nearly varmint-proof. They are easy to put up and take down, and you can fill it from your pickup tailgate. Sometimes the funnel can work it's way back up into the barrel (with a little help from the racoons). Driving a screw through each side of the drop tube right by the barrel will keep it from getting pushed back inside. You may want to shorten the screws so you don't obstruct the tube. Chose your feeder location carefully. You will probably want to put it where you have already found sign, preferably by water. This will be an especially good location in the hot summer months when all the grass is dried up AND the hogs need a lot of water. I like to set it up where I can see up and down a creek while I watch the feeder, maximizing the area I cover. Consider setting up a second feeder along the water on the other side of your position. This might also help you out if the wind changes on you and spoils one of the feeders. Be sure to watch the wind. Hogs have sharp noses so scent discipline is a good idea. If you can shoot from an enclosed or elevated position, all the better. Some people will disagree on how to bait, but here's what works for me. On your way back to your spot in the morning, trickle corn along the road (private ranch road/trail, not public highway). Use a very light trickle such that a 50# bag of corn will cover two or more miles of road. This will keep the hogs in the road while they "work" it looking for more. Then when you get sick of watching your feeders, you have a chance of jumping them on your way back. For the ultimate in lazy hunting, you can just set up a bunch of feeders in locations where you can just cruise around and check up on them from a safe distance in the truck. If you see one, you can go sneak up on him or take a careful long shot from a good rest. This works well because they usually stay on the feeders for a while. Just add corn in the road in your feeder circuit for non-stop action.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:39:54 AM EDT
Another type of feeder that is highly compatible with this style of hunting is the barrel feeder. Take a 55-gal plastic drum and put a couple of one-inch holes in the side. Tether it down securely (chain works well), and dump a sack of corn in it. Hogs will make an enormous racket trying to get the corn out of it. It will take them a long time, too. This amount of corn can last a week or more under heavy feeding. If you stand the feeders on end, you can simply check to see which ones have been knocked over to gauge activity. Deer and cattle usually won't bother these feeders, either. On one occaison, I could hear a group of hogs working one of these feeders from 500 yards away, so you could theoretically set up several of these and monitor them all by sound. This is not a bad way to go for a hasty hunt that is only several days long, where you don't have the luxury of setting up weeks in advance.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:46:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/7/2002 9:52:39 AM EDT by Maddog50]
One other thing, stay away from shotguns with buckshot for hogs. It may work in the swamps of East Texas or Florida where your typical "engagement" will be at 10 feet or so, but a rifle will be the best choice for hunting over a feeder. I have shot several hogs with buckshot and have concluded that it just doesn't put them down reliably. With a .223, I would strongly consider going for neck shots. This shouldn't be a problem if you are shooting at known distances from a good rest. I prefer neck-breaking shots even with my .308. Don't use HP's or Ballistic Tips in a .223, either. Sure, someone has probably managed to kill a hog with those bullets in a .223, I just don't think they will be your best choice. Winchester PowerPoints are not bad, since they tend to stay together pretty well. Shot placement is critical. I have hit hogs with 3" magnum slugs from a 12 ga only to have them run off. One hog I hit just behind the diaphragm with an expanding .50BMG round, only to have it run 50 yards before expiring. A good neck shot will drop them in their tracks. This is also good if you are in brush country where you might not find them 10 yards away.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 9:51:23 AM EDT
Make sure that you make them hogs squeal like a pig. (Deliverance)
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:11:27 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Silence: When you're sure its dead, shoot it again.
View Quote
Save your ammo. Wait 15 minutes for it to die before approaching. Then, approach from the safest angle with a round chambered, safety off, rifle shouldered, and kick it in the butt. If it stays down, but shows some sign of life, just stick a big knife behind its shoulder to speed things along. If you make a good neck shot, it's very unlikely that he'll be getting back up.
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:38:23 AM EDT
thanks guys, this being my first time, i will put all these great ideas to use. thanks again! [heavy][sniper]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 10:55:50 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Citabria7GCBC: thanks guys, this being my first time, i will put all these great ideas to use. thanks again! [heavy][sniper]
View Quote
Good luck, and be sure to post pictures!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 11:13:02 AM EDT
Heya: I have shot them with 22 Hornet, .223, .30-40 Krag and .308 scoped. I prefer the scoped .308 since I can be sure of my shots. The neck shot is good advice. The base of the ear is a very good aim point. If you hit them there, they don't run at all, they just fall over "timber" style. You also don't ruin any meat this way. Resist the urge to shoot any adult males. They are so full of scent glands that the meat is almost stinky beyond use. If you do shoot one, castrate it immediately. Make sure it is done "kicking" before you go after his codsack with your knife though. I could have lost a finger during this operation once when the boar gave a powerful kick as I was cutting on him. Resist the urge to blast 4 or 5 at a time also. The opportunity may be there if you ride up on a herd, but REMEMBER, you will have to clean all that meat. If it is close to dark, remember that cleaning meat by lantern or flashlight while the mosquitoes go after you is a real drag. A nice sized sow or two should be plenty. The juveniles are nice to dress out, split in two with a hatchet and roast in coals after you wrap it in aluminum foil. Have fun. -White Horse
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:06:04 PM EDT
Originally Posted By White_horse: Resist the urge to blast 4 or 5 at a time also. The opportunity may be there if you ride up on a herd, but REMEMBER, you will have to clean all that meat.
View Quote
Ain't that the truth! [beer]
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:23:57 PM EDT
Cleaning wild boar, ferrel hogs is super fun. I especially love it when the ticks start crawling on ya. I usually hunt with a BAR in .300WM, cuts my cleaning work by 50%!
Link Posted: 3/7/2002 12:36:59 PM EDT
I have never hunted hogs, but I have a video of wild hogs being caught by American Bulldogs, Its awsome to watch how the dog grabs them either by the ear or the side of the face and goes for a ride untill the hog wears out. I have two American Bulldogs, I just havent found any wild hogs here in Cleveland. Have a good trip it sounds like fun. Paul.
Top Top