Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 3:24:11 PM EDT
do steroid nasal sprays like flonase/nasacort etc. increase the chances that you'll catch a cold or other type of infection?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:25:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Tag.

Sniffing Flonase for years here.

Danny
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:41:11 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Tag.

Sniffing Flonase for years here.

Danny

I'm getting ready to take my first snort of the year becaue it's getting to the point where claratin alone won't keep up.

I also feel like I'm coming down with a cold right now, and so will hold off for a few days if it'll make the cold last longer or make it more likely that I won't fight the cold off.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:43:47 PM EDT
[#3]
My 5 year old was on flonase and it gave him a sinus infection.  Switched to rhinocort and no more problems.  We did some research,  turns out that sinusitis is a faily common side effect with some of these meds.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:51:03 PM EDT
[#4]
My doc said for me to keep on the Flonase daily, year round.

I was doing Claratin, then Allegra then Zyrtec? along with the spray.

Had to dump the Zyrtec, making me do goofy things while driving.

Flonase only now, every day 2 puffs each nose hole.

I don't get colds like other folks, I still get sick less the congestion in the noggin.

No chest colds in the last few years.

Danny

ETA: want some fun, shoot up and run kiss the significant other real quick.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:02:28 PM EDT
[#5]

Nasal steroids slightly increase your risk of URI's compared with placebo.

Generally, the benefits of the steroids outweigh the risks.  If they don't for you, talk to your doc about changing to another class of medication.

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:12:53 PM EDT
[#6]
FLOWNASE IS ADDICTIVE!!!  ONLY USE IT IF YOU NEED IT.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:18:22 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

really? how so?

I don't have flonase. The stuff I've got is nasonex (mometasone furoate monohydrate). Is that addictive too?

Link Posted: 8/30/2005 4:19:06 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

really? how so?

I don't have flonase. The stuff I've got is nasonex (mometasone furoate monohydrate). Is that addictive too?

it just is.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 5:34:36 PM EDT
[#9]
the only thing I could find about addiction was that people on systemic steroids need to be eased off of them.

afaik nasal sprays aren't like that.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 4:52:53 AM EDT
[#10]
I was reading through the superfine print insert that came with it and saw a line in the side effects table about "viral infection." It happened a little more frequently people on this stuff than to those taking a placebo.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:53:39 AM EDT
[#11]
You lucky joe. I can't use any of that stuff because I have thin blood vessels in my nose. It's a genetic thing from my Dads side of the family. After about 2 weeks of using the sprays, I start having daily nosebleeds.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 6:56:00 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
You lucky joe. I can't use any of that stuff because I have thin blood vessels in my nose. It's a genetic thing from my Dads side of the family. After about 2 weeks of using the sprays, I start having daily nosebleeds.

I only use it for about one month or so each year.

Usually towards the end I'll start to notice a little blood in the snot when I blow my nose.

No full on nose bleeds though.

Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:11:55 AM EDT
[#13]
Not a doc, but used to be a Flonase rep.  

There is no proof or link to show that use of a Nasal Steriod increases chances of Viral or Bacterial infections of the upper respiratory system.  (Even though it says it in the PI- product insert).

When product tests are conducted, drug companies are required by law to report any issues whether they are related to the drug or not.  If a person testing Flonase was hit by a bus while crossing the street, they would have to put it in the PI.  These tests are not done in a closed laboratory.  People live their lives and in doing so get colds and infections.  The fact that they got it while taking a particular drug may or may not have anything to do with the drug, but has to be reported.

The best that can be done is compare results with  a control group of people.  By doing so, we can get a comparative sample of how many people would have gotten colds or infections anyway.  But keep in mind that people with history of allergies and asthma are more susceptible to colds and infections than people without allergies.  Their bodies are always fighting allergens and therefore a few infectious bugs can get through whereas the person without allergies has more antibodies to fight infection.  

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 7:53:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Flonase is my most favorite drug ever.
Every other allergy med has stopped working for me.  Doc said your body shouldn't get used to Claritin.  Claritin stopped working.  Flonase still works 3 or 4 years later!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top