Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 12/15/2013 5:42:06 AM EST
I have a Ruger Bisley Hunter I bought as a project gun I planned to cut the barrel from 7.5" to 5.5" to match my Bisley 45 Colt, but now I am thinking of leaving it as is, it balances well feels nice and looks beautiful... I would like to carry the Bisley Hunter while hiking in the TN hills/Appalachian trail or other places I may go.

I have other revolvers but really like the two Rugers I have now. I prefer to carry a revolver while hiking and wont always use the Bisley hunter, I originally thought that I would cut the bisley barrel to 5.5" and it would carry well but still be able to be a capable hunter, but like I said the 7.5" barrel is growing on me, who here carries a long barrel pistol and whats the best way? I was thinking a guide type chest holster but I have never used one. I would like to get to pieces of info from you guys.....1st cut barrel or leave as is? 2nd what would be the best carry option for a 7.5" barrel for a 10-12hr time span such as long day hikes, i am leaning now towards keeping the 7.5" barrel just to reiterate

Photo of gun currently when bought it off GB

Photo of the project I had in mind but leaning against now for some reason
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:12:20 AM EST
Nice looking guns, dont chop them. I dont carry wheel guns but ive seen guys in the field with them in longer leather holsters.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:35:15 AM EST
I am with you the longer barrel is growing on me I have a 629 stealth hunter 7.5" so I was thinking that I had my hunting handgun covered but I am thinking that 2 7.5" wheel guns would not be to much of a burden....thanks for the vote to keep as is... I am looking at the diamond d chest holsters keep the input flowing I have the gun in the shop right not but called them saying I would probably pick it up monday or tuesday...
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:43:20 AM EST
Leave it long.

Cross-draw is much easier to carry/draw with a long barrel. I'd also suggest one of the chest/shoulder rigs with the holster mounted on the hip. The shoulder belt brings the weight off the hips (something that can become uncomfortable on a long hike).

El Paso makes a 'Doc Holliday' rig that mounts the holster low but distributes the weight across the shoulders.

Needless to say, you'll want to make sure your gun rig doesnt interfere with the straps/belt of your pack.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 6:46:31 AM EST
Looks better shorter.
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:04:41 AM EST
Thanks for the holster info do you prefer the Doc Holliday rig to a guide holster? It wouldnt be a all the time carry gun I have a 329pd and 329 backpacker I can use but I like the single actions for general tom foolery and something about the woods and SAO that go together a nautral pair
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By RevolverRO:
Leave it long.

Cross-draw is much easier to carry/draw with a long barrel. I'd also suggest one of the chest/shoulder rigs with the holster mounted on the hip. The shoulder belt brings the weight off the hips (something that can become uncomfortable on a long hike).

El Paso makes a 'Doc Holliday' rig that mounts the holster low but distributes the weight across the shoulders.
Needless to say, you'll want to make sure your gun rig doesnt interfere with the straps/belt of your pack.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:09:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2013 8:12:54 AM EST by samsonxd73]
Yeah it does look good but I recently bought a 4" 629V comp and put a 629 Competitor on layaway I have decided to collect S&W wheel guns I have only 2 more left to collect. I dont have as big a need for a 5.5" Ruger now and the hunter was nicer then I thought it would be...seems a shame to chop such a beautiful pistol now.
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Originally Posted By KTMsx:
Looks better shorter.
View Quote

Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:23:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2013 8:26:29 AM EST by Rabon]
Originally Posted By samsonxd73:
I have a Ruger Bisley Hunter I bought as a project gun I planned to cut the barrel from 7.5" to 5.5" to match my Bisley 45 Colt, but now I am thinking of leaving it as is, it balances well feels nice and looks beautiful... I would like to carry the Bisley Hunter while hiking in the TN hills/Appalachian trail or other places I may go.

I have other revolvers but really like the two Rugers I have now. I prefer to carry a revolver while hiking and wont always use the Bisley hunter, I originally thought that I would cut the bisley barrel to 5.5" and it would carry well but still be able to be a capable hunter, but like I said the 7.5" barrel is growing on me, who here carries a long barrel pistol and whats the best way? I was thinking a guide type chest holster but I have never used one. I would like to get to pieces of info from you guys.....1st cut barrel or leave as is? 2nd what would be the best carry option for a 7.5" barrel for a 10-12hr time span such as long day hikes, i am leaning now towards keeping the 7.5" barrel just to reiterate

Photo of gun currently when bought it off GB
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/SamsonXD/pix164593655.jpg

Photo of the project I had in mind but leaning against now for some reason
http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/SamsonXD/5inchHunter.jpg
View Quote

If you already have a 5.5" Bisley Blackhawk chambered for the 45 Colt why bother?
Just curious do you find the longer ejector rod assy to be a pita after getting used to the one on the 5.5" gun ?
Link Posted: 12/15/2013 8:37:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 12/15/2013 8:40:01 AM EST by HeckThomas]
in the old days that revolver would be carried in a pommel holster via horseback. It's a purpose built gun (handgun hunting) and it really excells in this department. But for walking on trails during the off season theres a lot better choices (mainly lighter). I would not cut it as even at 5.5" you still have a heavy gun.

for just hiking a Glock 27, S&W 296, S&W 66, or your CCW is probably all you need. Protection from bad people
Top Top